fbpx

Star Trek

Home Forums Miscellany Community Star Trek

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Ok, I admit it – I’m a Trekkie from way back. I grew up watching the re-runs of the original “classic” Trek. I got to the point where I onced identified an episode based on three words (ok, it’s pretty easy – “Approaching Space Station…”). I never went to cons but I did have most of the early books written about it. So of course I was ecstatic that they were finally making a new one – and totally pissed off when they delayed releasing it to now!

So has anyone else gone to see it? What did you think? Love it? Hate it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Spoiler Alert! I’m going to assume anyone reading further has seen the movie. So if you haven’t avert your eyes!

I pretty much liked it – except for one pretty big thing. I didn’t think Kirk was very likeable. Which was distressing because he was always one of my favorite Trek characters. Destroying a classic convertible and then showing no remorse was just annoying. Then his smug behavior during the training excercise was totally obnoxious. Which begs the question – do Kirk and Spock really become best friends? The Kirk this Spock knows is the totally obnoxious one who grew up without his father’s influence – does that affect his development so much that he is a totally different person from the “classic” Kirk? Spock Prime counsels the young Spock to stay in Star Fleet – but that advice is based on his experiences with the original Kirk.

What did make me laugh a little was I found a couple of forums where people were debating the movie. There seemed to be more outrage over the Spock/Uhura romance than the fact that they blew up Vulcan! Hello, 6 billion Vulcans died. Which pretty much made ALL of previous Trek stories with the exception of Enterprise obsolete. Or the “alternate time line.” Journey to Babel and Amok Time? Didn’t happen. Tuvoc? Was he even alive? The whole alternate time line makes my head spin!

So what did you think?

Adaneth
    Participant

I’m with you on Kirk, I didn’t warm up to him, but I want to watch the movie again.

I also had trouble because my brain recognizes Spock as Sylar from Heroes so I keep expecting him to do something villanous. πŸ™„ πŸ˜†

I’m evil, I was also more flabbergasted by the Spock/Uhura thing…whereas blowing up Vulcan seemed a very dramatic way of burning bridges and forever parting from the ‘old’ timeline. (Maybe I’m not as distraught as I should be, because both timelines exist in my head equally?)

Well, at least seeing the movie has got me rewatching season one OS episodes again! πŸ˜€

Bodine
      Participant

Go Trekkies πŸ˜€ I think,regardless how they change the scripts,Trekkies will live forever{my husband πŸ˜€ }and stay loyal.

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I’ve not seen it yet but I want to. I have a friend who lives near DC and he’s seen it at the IMAX at the National Air and Space Museum – Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center twice now. That’s where space shuttle Enterprise is on display.

Setsunawolf
          Participant

I haven’t seen it but I too want to go. I’m okay w/ alternate time lines. They’ve done it in both the Original series and in Next Gen. They do it all the time in Marvel comics. That’s how I’m able to accept the whole Dark Phoenix kills Scott and Xavier thing.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jasmine
            Participant

I actually really liked it. Now they can take the stories to places they never could before. I’m not a Trekker but I am a nerd, love my sci fi/fantasy pics so I can appreciate how others were upset. But it is really, really, really annoying to have a bunch of guys sitting behind me in the theatre constantly going…”they would never have done that”…”that didn’t happen in the first series”…”that shouldn’t have happened”… I finally had to turn around and say, “What part of alternate reality don’t you boys understand?”. That finally shut them up though I could still hear them muttering quietly.

I do hope they explore Spock and Uhura relationship more. And I think time will temper Kirk’s wild side, and he did get a big dose of humility when Uhura kissed Spock on the transporter platform. And while they did destroy Vulcan, there are still survivors on other planets, Tuvoc could potentially be a progeny of one of those.

Starbreeze
              Participant

I didn’t like it. Too many changes for me. I doubt seriously that I’ll bother watching the next one. I also couldn’t warm up to Kirk and the whole Spock/Uhura thing was all wrong!! DDVM, I was upset when they blew up Vulcan. The Vulcans were some of my favorite characters in Star Trek.

I did think Karl Urban did a very good Doctor McCoy. For me, he was the one bright spot in the movie.

Karasgolddragon
                Participant

I kept comparing things to the way they were, but I still really liked it. I am ready to go back again. I get the impression that now that Kirk is captain he’ll settle down into the likeable womanizer we all know and love.

I started watching in the mid 70’s and not only did I go to conventions I worked some too. I got to meet a bunch of actors. Most of them were really nice. From the original show, the only ones I didn’t meet were Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly; although I did hear Nimoy do a talk at one of the colleges. From Next Generation I believe I met them all, although meeting Patrick Stewart was kinda a passing thing. I am ashamed to say I am drawing a blank as to whom I met from DS9.

I guess with the kids screaming in the other room is killing some brain cells. Before what little is left of my mind, I had better go mediate.

Beth

Mirrako
                  Participant

I loved it! I’m a huge JJ Abrams fan (Alias/Lost) so I was very curious to see his spin on things.
                    Watched the original show, all the movies, and all the spin offs, but missed a few scattered episodes while I was on Active Duty. Even watched the animated version when I was really little…
                    This seemed like an introduction to me, and I’m wondering what they will do with the alternate timeline. Endless possibilities, of course.
                    Took the step-daughter to see it–now we’re watching all the old movies so she can get a better idea about the Trek universe. πŸ™‚
                    Still surprised that Karl Urban (Eomer from LOTR) did such an outstanding job as Bones because I only know him as Eomer. 😳
                    Loved the Enterprise, as always. Got seriously choked up when Nimoy closed with the immortal, “space, the final frontier…”

ddvm wrote:

So has anyone else gone to see it? What did you think? Love it? Hate it? Inquiring minds want to know!

By the time I got to see it the first time, I’d already been told by numerous customers that 1) they loved it, 2) they hated it, 3) I would love it, and 4) I would hate it. The MAIN thing that came through was that the movie was either bad because the story didn’t fit anywhere in the canon of Star Trek, or it was good IN SPITE of not fitting anywhere within the canon. And each person took pains to point out the major things that just couldn’t have happened.

When I sat down in the theatre, which was almost empty (last showing on Saturday), I was expecting the worst, but it only took a minute to realise that it was just a typical Star Trek alternate reality episode. You can do anything in an alternate reality episode, as long as you are internally consistent and have some clue that something happened to cause the rift.

But, in Jasmine’s words, “What part of alternate reality don’t you boys understand?” Well, clearly a whole bunch of Star Trek die-hards, who surely should know better, just simply didn’t grasp the “Alternate” part.

Anyway, I loved it. Kirk was a brat, but had redeemable qualities. Bones was Bones. Spock was Spock, Uhura was Uhura, and Scotty was Simon Pegg.

There were bits that I thought were over the top, or were played for humour without me finding them funny, but when we rounded up the family and all went to see it as a Mother’s Day treat, in a crowded theatre so I was able to follow the crowd’s mood, I pretty much thought the entire thing was perfect, at least within the constraints of having to have the same characters unite in this timeline as we are familiar with from the other. Simon Pegg even began to seem not entirely a caricature of a young and exuberant Scotty, but perhaps a young and exuberant Scotty himself.

I’m really hoping they do more movies. Ted, our son who has never previously shown any interest in Star Trek [“We brought him up wrong!” – Linda & Dave, May 2009] and who, whilst watching a few seconds of a TV documentary had to ask “Which one’s Spock?”, came out of the movie having enjoyed it thoroughly. He suggested it would make a good TV series, and that if they DID make a TV series of Star Trek, he’d definitely watch it.

Me too.

I did really like McCoy – I thought Urban did a great job. Fortunately I don’t watch Heroes so no distraction there! And Scotty could have been a little toned down – I do want to see it again to pick up on nuances I missed the first time.

Personally I think Abrams did a pretty good job even though I didn’t like Kirk. Most people seemed to like it and to be honest it would have been impossible to please everyone. Actually I think he was slightly nuts to have taken on the challenge – he was willing to recreate characters so popular that there is a huge, worldwide fan base 40 years after the show was cancelled! I think he should get an award for sheer courage!
                    Not to mention one for being a nice guy – he gave Randy Pausch, the guy from The Last Lecture, a cameo in the movie. Pausch was a Kelvin crew member. Evidently Abrams knew Pausch wanted to be Captain Kirk from his Last Lecture and let him be in the movie prior to Pausch’s death from pancreatic cancer.

The theater audience can definitely affect the movie. I went at 1:10 Friday afternoon. There were about 3 women in the audience including me and 40-50 pasty white guys. One of the guys was obviously a huge Trekkie – he laughed at everything that referred back to the original series. He was the first one in the theater to get the Admiral Archer beagle reference. He was actually very entertaining!

Adaneth
                    Participant

I remember reading about Randy Pausch getting a part in the movie. What a neat thing! πŸ™‚

It’s fun when the audience emotes–there was someone who started clapping when Leonard Nimoy first made an appearance.

And yes, taking on something like that, which has been around so long and had a lot of a passionate fans, definitely takes courage!

I hope it makes enough he’s encouraged to do a sequel. It will be fun to dig deeper. πŸ™‚

Lokie
                      Participant

OK, I’m avoiding reading any of the posts in this thread so I won’t see any spoilers, so sorry if this was already answered. Will non-trekkies like this movie? I’m not a Trekkie, but I do like most JJ Abrams projects. Plus, I like action movies, as long as they have substance. I’ve seen so many crappy movies, I refuse to get into the whole summer mega blockbuster movie hype anymore. But I need my summer action movie fix πŸ˜† Is this something non-trekkies will like?

Lokie wrote:

OK, I’m avoiding reading any of the posts in this thread so I won’t see any spoilers, so sorry if this was already answered. Will non-trekkies like this movie? I’m not a Trekkie, but I do like most JJ Abrams projects. Plus, I like action movies, as long as they have substance. I’ve seen so many crappy movies, I refuse to get into the whole summer mega blockbuster movie hype anymore. But I need my summer action movie fix πŸ˜† Is this something non-trekkies will like?

I think so! It does have a lot of action in it plus humor and you really don’t need to know anything about Trek – it might even be more fun seeing it without any preconceived notions. What I’ve seen on other boards is that non-Trekkies really, really like it. That said, no guarantees – I just saw Slumdog Millionaire and thought it was really depressing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.