fbpx

So, Casper's at the vet again guys.

Home Forums Miscellany Community So, Casper's at the vet again guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Falcolf
    Participant

Same problem. I caught him straining to pee on my bed for ten minutes yesterday; he only managed an egg sized puddle. I took him in first thing this morning and they’re going to try a catheter, but they mentioned the ‘E’ word. They could try the surgery again but there’s only so many times that you can shorten a urethra and I don’t really have money as it is. I’m desperately trying not to think about what’s going on with him; I’m just going to try and keep myself really busy. He’s only three years old – by rights he should be sitting in his favourite window right now, spying on the neighbourhood as he loves to do, or galloping up and down the hallway at full speed. He’s such a beautiful, sweet kitty who I am ridiculously proud of and the thought of saying goodbye forever is absolutely torturous. For better or for worse, please keep him in your thoughts.

Here’s a photo of the little guy that I took the other day.

I love him so much. He’s too young to die. πŸ™

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Natasha
      Participant

Do you have him on all wet food? I know that’s supposed to help male cats with chronic urinary tract issues.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
        ANY Red Eyed Unis
        ANY Test Paint Bat
        UNIS:
        The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
        Male- Snow Leopard TP
        White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
        Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
        Mother: Okapi
        Gothic - Mahogany
        PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
        DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Stephanie
        Participant

*hugs* So sorry to hear this. He’s a beautiful cat! I hope it all works out for you.

Falcolf
          Participant

Thank you!

I have been giving him wet food at night – he and his brother both get half a can each. We were giving them a little bit of kibble in the morning. I’d do all canned food (or even switch to raw) but the finances don’t jive very well with that. πŸ™

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Casper is a lovely boy! <3 My first cat, Kita, had the same issue, and he had the operation as well. I found that he loved the recirculating water fountains – they helped him increase his water intake and prevent relapses.

I hope Casper recovers fully. If you can, please check with another vet for a second opinion. Doing that save the life of another of my cats, all because the second vet I asked knew of an additional treatment for asthma in cats! (Bless you, Dr. Ruth!)

(((huggs))) to you and pets for Casper.

Natasha
            Participant

Thank you!

I have been giving him wet food at night – he and his brother both get half a can each. We were giving them a little bit of kibble in the morning. I’d do all canned food (or even switch to raw) but the finances don’t jive very well with that. πŸ™

Yeah, I hear that. Still even cheap canned food is better for cats with that problem. It has to do with the fact that they tend to be a little dehydrated when they eat dry food cos cats have a very low thirst drive. So they don’t drink as much as they should. But if they have exclusively wet food, they get more moisture from the food and they process kidney/bladder things better. Hopefully the vet can sort him out well and he’s feeling better soon!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
              ANY Red Eyed Unis
              ANY Test Paint Bat
              UNIS:
              Male- Snow Leopard TP
              Gothic - Mahogany

Kim
              Blocked

Oh no, I would hope if you spent so much on him before and it didn’t work that the vet would be willing to do more for you to make up for it although I get the feeling sometimes that all they care about is making more money. Our 4 month old kitten is sick with upper respiratory and we haven’t been able to afford to take him to the vet so we are giving him a lot of natural supplements to help him like l-lysine, vitamin C, cat vitamins, Noni juice and we are steaming him a lot and it seems to be helping. We asked the vet if we could just pay them for an antibiotic and of course they said no and that we would have to pay the full vet fees for an exam but if it continues another day or two we might have to take him in. I hope they can do something for your kitty and he can get better!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Falcolf
                Participant

Just heard back from the vet and there are NO crystals in Casper’s pee, his issue is a urinary tract infection and a narrow urethra – both hopefully treatable!! I bet he got the infection from his brother Copernicus’ face (he’s got a gnarly looking skin infection at the moment) because they like grooming each other, being buds. I AM SO HAPPY, THERE IS HOPE!

Excellent!

MandBsMom
                  Participant

Yay! Good news!

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Natasha
                    Participant

Just heard back from the vet and there are NO crystals in Casper’s pee, his issue is a urinary tract infection and a narrow urethra – both hopefully treatable!! I bet he got the infection from his brother Copernicus’ face (he’s got a gnarly looking skin infection at the moment) because they like grooming each other, being buds. I AM SO HAPPY, THERE IS HOPE!

YAY!

ANY Red Eyed Unis
                      ANY Test Paint Bat
                      UNIS:
                      Male- Snow Leopard TP
                      Gothic - Mahogany

Laurie
                      Participant

Very good news.
                        I was told because our manx Cinder has a tendency for mega-colin to feed only wet food. But…. Cinder is Cinder and sometimes won’t eat his food unless he has crunchies in it. So my solution because he will not drink water either, is to put water even in his wet food. He still gets crunchies, but as cereal… with wet food broth.

Stormbreeze
                        Participant

I just saw this post, and I’m so happy Casper has hope! We have two cats, both very loving, and I couldn’t imagine having to give one up so young. Good luck treating him. πŸ™‚

[i]Keeping an eye out for fantasy gryphons and test paint dragons.[/i]

Falcolf
                          Participant

Thanks guys!! I’m really crossing my fingers for him and hoping that tomorrow he might get to come home. πŸ˜€ Also; I might try that kibble-as-cereal trick haha! Casper loves his wet food, so I have no problems with him not eating it but the wetted kibble might be a great cost effective way for me to make sure he gets enough liquid, at least for one meal of his day. πŸ˜€

Excellent!

Prezaurian
                            Participant

Oh…I’m so sorry Falcolf. But I’m glad to see this post too. It’s great to have some hope for treatments! I’ll keep both of your babies in my thoughts.

Rusti
                              Participant

Thanks guys!! I’m really crossing my fingers for him and hoping that tomorrow he might get to come home. πŸ˜€ Also; I might try that kibble-as-cereal trick haha! Casper loves his wet food, so I have no problems with him not eating it but the wetted kibble might be a great cost effective way for me to make sure he gets enough liquid, at least for one meal of his day. πŸ˜€

My 16-going-on-17 year old girl is a budding kidney cat and this is what I do with her food. I simply cannot afford to feed her canned food exclusively at the quality I’d prefer, so she gets an excellent dry kibble and I mix about a third of a can of Fancy Fest (kitty crack, I tell you) with some water and make a ‘cereal’ just as described. She loves it better than plain dry food and it’s a little easier on my wallet.

I think she may have even gained back some of the weight she lost. We’ll have to see when I get her scheduled for her bloodwork recheck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.