Slow Cooker Recipes?

Home Forums Miscellany Food Slow Cooker Recipes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

What are your favorites? Stews, chilis, soups, whatever you can cook in a slow cooker I want the recipes! I got one for a wedding gift, would make me super happy to have some awesome recipes to try in it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Please please pretty please? My family doesn’t actually have a slow cooker, so we don’t have too many (if any) recipes for me to steal.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

I make venison stew in mine, though I suspect you could substitute with beef. Are you okay with approximations or do you need measurements? I am one of those people that cooks and never even glances at the measuring cups… x_x

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

I make venison stew in mine, though I suspect you could substitute with beef. Are you okay with approximations or do you need measurements? I am one of those people that cooks and never even glances at the measuring cups… x_x

Approximations are cool! I’d probably mix stuff up anyway, I tend to make recipes my own, but a slow cooker is totally an alien tool to me! XD

kitsunelady
      Participant

Hmm…one of my favorites is Paula Deen’s Crockpot Mac & Cheese…although we leave the egg( s ) out, because it takes two people so long to eat all of it. XD

Jennifer
        Keymaster

All right, this is how I make it! This turns out with a rich, hearty flavor… slightly sweet and savory. Because I don’t measure, it’s slightly different each time. I like that trait but not everyone does!

You will need:

Venison or lean beef (stew meat, steaks.. doesn’t matter, as long as it’s not fatty. The beauty of a slow cooker is that it makes anything tender!)

Carrots, if you like them

Parsnips (I really recommend including these, they add a complex flavor)

Your favorite type of onion. I use wild leeks because I like them. You can use any type of onion or shallot, just be aware that you will need LESS of an onion if it’s a strong type. More if it’s mellow.

Mushrooms if you like them. I use baby portabello but I imagine you can use any hearty type of mushroom. Buttons, etc.

Potatoes. Again whatever your preference. I use about 3-4 palm-sized potatoes.

Garlic– fresh and minced if you can, if not then a dash of garlic powder. I hate the jarred stuff.

A can of either low sodium chicken, beef, or veggie broth, your preference.

Some booze. I have used beer in the past and it’s very good, but my favorite stew comes from using whiskey and sake (other wines would work well too). This is all a preference thing and ‘what do I have on hand’ thing! If you use beer, I recommend a stout, or lager. A Dark beer, not a light one.

Two whole bay leaves

A sprig of fresh thyme if you have it (if not, a small pinch of dried is okay)

Salt & Pepper

Flour

Olive oil (Canola will work instead if you don’t have olive oil)

Brown sugar (optional– if you use any ‘sweet’ alcohol you can omit this ingredient)

Fresh parsley as a garnish (optional)

To prepare:

Start in the morning! This cooks all day.

If you have a big slow cooker and have room, scrub the potatoes and lay them in the cooker, lining the bottom, where they will be closest to the heating coils.
          Depending on the size and shape of your slow cooker, this may not work. Mine is a tall and narrow type, so I scrub the potatoes and quarter them, and nestle them in against the bottom and sides, close to the heating coils. It’s important to do this.

Then I will prepare my onion by finely dicing, and set it aside. I will press or mince 2 small cloves or 1 big clove of garlic and set it aside. I then take my meat– for me, it’s 2-3 medium/small venison steaks. I trim all fat and gristle off, then cut the meat into approximately 1″ cubes. Pat the meat dry with a towel, then liberally salt and pepper the surface. Heat a dollop of oil in a skillet; I use cast iron so I don’t need much oil, but if you use stainless or nonstick you might need a little more! Place the meat cubes into the heated oil over med-high heat, and make sure they are not too crowded. Brown for 2-3 minutes on one side, then stir to brown on the other side for 2-3 minutes. You are not fully cooking the meat, you are searing it which makes the stew amazingly flavorful. After your meat is just browned on both sides (its okay if it’s still raw/pink in the middle), set the meat in your slow cooker (on your potatoes) but leave all drippings and burnt bits in your pan. If you need to, add a little more oil, and then brown your onions in the meat drippings. Once they are browned, add your fresh garlic and stir constantly for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Immediately pour in either your bottle of beer, or wine (or sake). About a normal beer bottle’s worth. This will release any delicious burnt bits of meat and sauce and onion. Add both bay leaves to this. If you are NOT using a sweet alcohol, add a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, and let it simmer for a few minutes, just 3-5 or so.

Pour the onion/garlic/bay leaves/alcohol mixture into your slow cooker. Add your can of veggie/beef/chicken broth, and turn the cooker up to high. This will get things started while you prepare the other veggies.

Peel and chop your carrots up; add as many or as few as you want to the slow cooker.

Peel and chop your parsnips up. I generally use a whole bag (where I buy them they come 4-5 of them in a bag). Add them to the slow cooker.

Add your sprig of fresh thyme or pinch of dried thyme.

I then add perhaps a shot or two worth of whiskey. This is up to you. You could also add rum I imagine (if you do, forgo the brown sugar step earlier) or more beer or wine or whatever.

You should end up with the liquid in your slow cooker covering all ingredients. If not, add some water or more broth, enough to cover everything.

Cover your slow cooker. Resist the urge to uncover it and stir during the day!
          Cook for 6-7 hours on high, or 8-9 hours on low.

In the last hour or 45 minutes, wash your mushrooms. We didn’t forget about them.. but we didn’t want them to turn to goo by cooking all day. Slice them and add them to the slow cooker.

When the meat is tender (6-9 hours depending on cooking setting), use a slotted spoon to remove the potatoes. Let them cool a little so you don’t burn yourself, and cut them up into bite-sized pieces. The reason to wait and do them last is that their starches will now start to thicken your stew! Put them back into the slow cooker.

Whisk together some broth or water with some flour. I use maybe 1/2 cup? Again I don’t measure. Make a flour-slurry, then pour it into the slow cooker and give it all a good stir. Cover and turn the heat up to high for 10-15 minutes to let it all thicken.

Salt and pepper to taste, and add parsley if you like it! Enjoy!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Wow that looks like it’s fabulous! I would’ve never thought of adding booze (and it makes Colin happy, he likes to cook with dark beer, wine, whatever’s on hand).

Gremlin1
          Participant

My two favourites are BBQ ribs and lasagna. Do you want those?

Absolutely! ๐Ÿ™‚

Leigha
            Participant

O.O *is watching this thread* mmmmmm….*drool*….Jen, that stew sounds soooooooo yummy……

*almost wishes she cooked* ^^

Susie
              Keymaster

I’m watching this thread too! I am learning to use my slow cooker. This morning I stuck a small pork roast in there (didn’t have time to do anything to it, just stuck it in), the remains of a bag of peeled carrots, the remains of a sweet onion sliced up, poured the dregs of a bottle of wine in, bbq sauce over the top, and a little extra water to bring the liquid up to the top of the meat. Turned it on high all day (when I left it on low all day, stuff wasn’t as cooked as I wanted) and got home to really yummy meat! Served with bread and salad. I need EASY recipes that have no dairy in them. Anybody got some more?

Amanda
                Participant

Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli Soup

2 lbs ground beef
                  1 onion, chopped
                  3 carrots, chopped
                  4 stalks celery, chopped
                  2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
                  1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
                  1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
                  3 (10 ounce) cans beef stock
                  3 teaspoons oregano
                  2 teaspoons pepper
                  5 teaspoons parsley
                  1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
                  1 (20 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
                  8 ounces pasta (I use Ditalini)

Directions:

1 Brown beef in a skillet.
                  2 Drain fat from beef and add to crock pot with everything except pasta.
                  3 Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
                  4 During last 30 min on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta.

This stuff is delicious with some Parmesan on top! As is the recipe doesn’t have a lot of liquid left when it’s done, I think the next time I make it I will cook the pasta separately and add it to the mix just before serving. This recipe makes a HUGE amount, I have to split it into two crock pots and then some-lol

Mmmm that looks good, Eleu. ๐Ÿ™‚

Zelda
                  Participant

If you’re a curry fan, the curries I’ve made in my slow cooker thus far have come out great. I find that the cuts of meat that work especially well are those that are still on the bone and are the tough, cheap bits, like lamb neck and shoulder bones, beef scraps, etc.
                    The meat goes into the crock pot, and on the stove I cook some onions down until translucent, then add in some garlic, rasins, and curry powder in the brand and amount of your choice. Adding in the spices without any liquid ‘wakes up’ the flavors in the curry – but it can burn if the heat’s too high and it’s left on too long. Right after I add the curry powder I shut the heat off and stir for about a minute, then add everything to the slow cooker.
                    I add peeled chopped potatoes and just enough broth to start peeking up around the other ingredients, then stir and leave to simmer away until the meat’s falling off of the bones. The potatoes thicken the curry as they cook and the bones add a great flavor to the broth. Thanks to the pepper in the curry and the salt in the broth seasoning should be taken care of, but of course can be altered once the cooking’s done. Okra is a nice veggie to add near the end of the cooking process, if you’re a fan. I pull the meat off of the bones before serving. Ladle over basmati rice or mashed potatoes and it’s delish!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

WolfenMachine
                    Participant

Ive got a fabulous recipe for Chai that is just as good as the Chai at Starbucks (in my opinion) I especially love it because I can make it any time, at home, for very cheaply-not a few dollars for a small cup that I tend to inhale before I get to the car. I think the fanciest ingrediant needed is some fresh ginger, but even Wal-Mart around here carries it (although the kind they have looks super creepy to me-like a hand with 12 fingers-yuck!)

I’ll fetch it tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚ Ive got a slow cooker cook book that tells you how to make some fancy desserts, bread, drinks-all kinds of things that surprised me that could be made in a slow cooker.

Gremlin1
                      Participant

Absolutely! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lasagna:
                        sauce:
                        1 lb lean ground beef, browned
                        1 jar pasta sauce, or make your own;
                        1 can crushed tomatoes, or 1 jar home canned tomatoes
                        2 stalks celery
                        1 small onion
                        1 bell pepper of your choice
                        1 tsp dried savoury
                        2 tsp dried basil
                        1 tsp thyme
                        salt and pepper to taste
                        (if using jarred pasta sauce, add 1 cup of water)
                        1 3/4 cups ricotta or cottage cheese
                        1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella
                        1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
                        1 egg
                        2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
                        6 lasagna noodles, uncooked

Mix soft cheese, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, 2 Tbsp parmesan, egg and parsley.

Spoon 1 cup meat sauce into slow cooker; top with layer of noodles, broken to fit and half the cheese mixture. Cover with 2 cups meat sauce. Top with remaining noodles, broken to fit, cheese mixture and sauce. Cover with lid.

Cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; let stand, covered, 10 min or until cheese melts.

My cooker does this one in about 5 1/2 hours, but it is SO good!!

Ribs:

Cut ribs into individual riblets; season and broil for 20 min, or until meat starts to pull away from the bones.

Sauce:
                        1 bottle of favourite BBQ sauce, 1 tsp worcestershire sauce, 2 Tbsps brown sugar or 1 Tbsp brown sugar splenda, 1 small can tomatoe sauce, 2 tsps of mustard.

Put broiled ribs into cooker, pour sauce onto ribs and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

My cooker does this one in about 7 hours. VERY good. If you have your own sauce recipe, use that one! Enjoy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.