/sigh….Insomnia…..what do you do?

Home Forums Miscellany Community /sigh….Insomnia…..what do you do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    NirvanaCat13
    Participant

It’s 4:20 am PST, I have to be in class in 5 hours and I’m not the least bit tired. Well, that’s a lie, I’m tired, but can’t get to sleep. So far I put 3 cds of video game music on iTunes, got bored, made up my listings for random stuff including cookware, misc. World of Warcraft stuffs, and an egg incubator, got really bored, made it through 3 pages of my business law book, got really really bored……been hitting the refresh button here on and off for the past 4 hours, browsed eBay for stuff I don’t need. Oh, and stubbed my toe going to the bathroom in the dark. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

So, the question remains, what does everyone else do when they can’t get to sleep?

NirvanaCat13
      Participant

Megan
        Participant

It may sound really odd, but I break out my picture books. The pretty colors and pictures and simple words and story lines just kind of disarm my brain. I can relax and usually fall asleep after that. (Yes, I own a lot of picture books. No, I don’t have kids yet. Someday, though, any little nippers I have will arrive to a ready-made library ๐Ÿ˜† )

Pegasi1978
          Participant

You weren’t the only one who couldn’t sleep last night. I woke up early in the morning and couldn’t go back to sleep. I ended up getting up and getting on the computer for a little over an hour at magistream and clicked creatures. I was hoping to be able to catch one of the newest eggs (released earlier this week) but no dice. Instead, I made some gold that I can spend on buying creatures sometime in the future. I limited myself to magistream because it wouldn’t have been quite as stimulating as reading here or on livejournal would have been.

NirvanaCat13
            Participant

Oh don’t mistake me for in bed yet =P I’m still here…..Mmmmm on to Elfwood now, into gallery 13…..

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I often have severe insomnia from my Lyme disease. I haven’t found anything to work for me before, and I go to bed and can’t fall asleep all night.Recently I have been trying melatonin. I have to be careful because I can build up a dependency on it but it’s been working for me. If you haven’t tried it yet it might be worth it. I take the smallest dose that works for me (1/4th pill) about an hour before I want to feel sleepy. It’s the only thing that’s been keeping me sane for the last week..!!

About the worst thing I have found I can do it just ‘stay up’ till I feel tired. I’d never end up in bed!! Especially with a computer or artwork in front of me. I used to do this when I was younger and it never was healthy for me.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

WolfenMachine
                Participant

Jenn, I have a friend that uses melatonin also. He’s a night owl like I used to be. But he doesnt talk much about it. He’s really weird about taking medicine unless he knows it has good ingrediants and isn’t metally corrosive, so Im guessing its good and helpful.

I’ve been used to going to bed at midnight/1AM the psat 5 years or so…and suddenly Im on a new schedule-so too make myself tired, I’ll turn the lights down low, or keep one lamp on and sit in bed and read. The low light makes my eyes tired from having to focus on the tiny words….and its a great excuse to finish the last tidbit of Breaking Dawn (its too good, I didnt want to finish it!)As cheesy as it sounds, a warm cup of lemon cammomeil tea with honey helps. Or peppermint tea with honey! Or as a last resort, try some bennadryl. You’ll sleep like a ROCK. But take it at like 9pm…or some time super early. It knocked me out! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Leigha
                  Participant

Bennydryl = <3 on those nights when I am too wired to sleep because I know I have something important to do the next day so I'm even MORE wired because I worry about the next day and really can't sleep. But yeah, take it early, it starts working in 30 minutes and keeps me down a full 8 hours ๐Ÿ˜€

If I don’t feel like taking drugs to sleep (which is most of the time cuz I don’t like it) I browse eBay and the forum too. Look for jobs on craigslist for my boyfriend and windstones on craigslist for me

siberakh1
                    Participant

I always have little putzing stuff to do. Either cleaning out paperwork, I’ve dusted, sometimes just poked around on the internet (though I try to stay away from computers when I’m trying to fall asleep, since I see them enough at work), make little lists, read manga or gaming stuff (stuff that won’t make me angry/upset), or just sit and think. If it’s not too cold, I’ll either go out on my upstairs porch or open a window and listen to the night sounds. If I’m really wide awake, I’ll just get up and go about my day. I don’t get insomnia too often and eventually, my stomach starts to feel very nauseous if I’m awake too long and my body forces itself to shut down if it gets too tired (I will collapse eventually, and I get little warning sides that I head when it does that). I am a bit of a night owl though, so I don’t get it so bad now, especially with my work shift (I work 4-midnight with an hour commute home at night, so I usually don’t go to bed until 2am). Lately I’ve turned the tv on Alton Brown’s Good Eats the last two nights I haven’t been able to fall asleep right away. I’ve also found that really hot showers (almost as hot as you can stand) do wonders to relax you, especially if you put the shower head on pulse.

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

When I can’t sleep I usually give myself an ultimatum – I can either go to sleep OR I have to scrub a potty (or finish dishes that didn’t all fit in the dishwasher or clean the cat’s potty box; something that I hate to do…) Generally it works. If I’m awake ’cause I can’t get my brain to “stop chasing it’s tail” I write everything I’m thinking of on a pad of paper that I keep on the nightstand for that purpose. Sometimes a glass of bread and milk helps…

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

tdm

NirvanaCat13
                        Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

Sometimes a glass of bread and milk helps…

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ™‚

Heh heh heh So do you pour the bread then toast the milk?

….oh ya, I wrote this while I was not sleeping last night…..
                          http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11566 Have fun, there won’t be any more =P Psychoanalize that Freud

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

twindragonsmum ๐Ÿ˜†

tdm

Melissa
                            Participant

This probably wouldn’t work for serious insomnia, and takes a little before-hand work, but it occasionally helps me.

When quiet and in bed, I run through my day in reverse, kind of like a movie being rewound. So… preparing for bed, wind up chores, dinner, goofing around, commuting, and so forth till I get to waking up that previous morning. I don’t spend a ton of time, but I don’t blur through it. And if I fall asleep while reviewing it, that’s fine.

So after my brain is kind of familiar with doing this, and I can’t stop my mind at the end of the day, or feel a little too wired, I run through it. It helps for four reasons.

1. My brain associates it with falling asleep.
                              2. My brain considers it pesky work, and considers sleep a surefire way to dodge it.
                              3. It’s intensive enough to remove my mind from other distractions.
                              4. Reviewing my day sometimes helps bore me to sleep. ๐Ÿ˜†

A small glass of milk or a little bit of turkey meat is also nice sometimes. ๐Ÿ™‚

darjeb
                              Participant

I keep a book by the bed and if I can’t sleep I read. Usually by the 3rd or 4th page I am out and wake up in the morning propped up by a couple of pillows, the book on my lap and the light on.

Jasmine
                                Participant

I write/act out stories in my head. Current story includes Ryan Reynolds…and no, it isn’t usually about sex. Cause then I’d have to wake up hubby and we wouldn’t be sleeping for a while. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.