Selling practices

Home Forums Miscellany Community Selling practices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    tig3r06
    Participant

Heya!

I’m just clarifying on the etiquette.

If a person pays you immediately, should you take over a week to ship? I certainly take in to account holidays, etc. Shouldn’t you express when you plan on shipping or if there are extenuating circumstances? If you say you need a bigger box to ship, shouldn’t you still be respectful in giving a time frame? Keep in contact and let the person who already gave you their money know what’s going on, you have their money…

Thanks!

fatalbeauty
      Participant

I think as long as you let them know and also why it should be fine….yes, waiting a week can be no fun but most people so be okay with it unless they wanted to have it quickly(which I know Ebayers can often be like that)…..but I think as long as you keep someone informed, you should be fine….

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

tig3r06
        Participant

To make sure I understand, as long as a time frame, a date, approximately given depending the circumstances then it may be ok?

What if you paid immediately and thought shipping would be within reason and it’s not? And no approximate ship time is given after asked?

sherry10151982
          Participant

I think communication is a must. Most people are very understanding and accommodating when you’re relaying information to them honestly and frequently

Bodine
            Participant

Indeed.🙂 Communication,understanding and respect from parties involved.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Natasha
              Participant

Communication is THE most important thing (I mean, besides not being a scammer, I guess 😂). I’ve definitely had stuff come up where I was a day or two behind, but I always will go out of my way to make sure the other end of the sale/trade knows I’m still here, I’m not forgetting about them, and I’m not scamming g them). If communication is bad, I usually try to get thru that transaction and avoid the seller in the future. Life’s too short to stress over unicorns! And there are enough amazing people here that are lovely, and communicative and up front, that it’s not worth hasslingwith people that don’t treat you right.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                ANY Red Eyed Unis
                ANY Test Paint Bat
                UNIS:
                The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                Male- Snow Leopard TP
                White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                Mother: Okapi
                Gothic - Mahogany
                PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Lorie
                Participant

The way I see it, if you can’t ship the item within two days, don’t put it up for sale. Before you make an ad, that item should be ready to box and ship as soon as payment is received.

fatalbeauty
                  Participant

but sometimes items can sit for months before you have a buyer….and then say you get the flu or something and you’re out a few days or you end up having to go to the hospital or something, you can’t always control what’s going to happen in the future….like me with my broken ankle a few months ago, I couldn’t drive for awhile, I didn’t expect this to happen yet it did and I might’ve had items up right before it happened, one can never know what’s going to happen…..

1. Mother Meerkat
                    2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF

fatalbeauty
                    Participant

should be fine, most people are reasonable with life issues coming up….

but again, life issues come up, if someone disappeared, I’d be a little worried if I didn’t hear anything in a week but I’d give them a little time and or message them to see what’s up….if say like a month passed after money was exchanged and no communication, then there’s a problem….

1. Mother Meerkat

GardenNinja
                      Participant

I wouldn’t go that far. Some people can only ship on certain day(s) of the week. But then, that should be mentioned in the ad.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

tig3r06
                        Participant

I keep beating around the bush here. Basically I paid immediately for something last saturday. I figured it’s cinco de mayo, a “holiday”, so gave it a couple days. I asked on tuesday if there was an approximate ship date and was told it was in it’s box, but they needed to find a larger box to ship it in. Then I said please keep me updated. There has been no other communication since tuesday. Then this weekend is mother’s day, another holiday. I messaged asking to please ship in the next few days and no response yet.

So I’m undecided with the couple holidays whether this is acceptable or not. And it’s good to know how other people feel if they were a seller or buyer. I have another person I blind traded with who told me they wouldn’t be able to ship till a certain date and to me that’s understandable and acceptable, and I have an approximate ship date. I think the not knowing and not much communication with the purchase is frustrating. And if I were the seller and already had someone’s money, I would be keeping constant contact if there were issues/delays in shipping out.

fatalbeauty
                          Participant

well with that explanation, I can see why you’re asking….the seller is probably just busy with something like maybe they’ve gone away on a trip or something but might not have thought to tell you that or something or perhaps to a place where either the internet is crappy/didn’t want to worry over internet related things while gone, etc…hopefully they get back to you soon!

1. Mother Meerkat

tig3r06
                            Participant

Thank you for all the responses. I do lean a little more towards Lorie’s thinking, but I also understand things can and do happen. I just sold 2 monster high dolls on ebay yesterday and I don’t have a large enough box for both together, but I let the buyer know I needed to get one and I would ship out latest by Monday since it’s mother’s day weekend. That way they had an idea when they would be getting what they paid me for. Like many of you said, communication is the most important.

Ela_Hara
                              Participant

I try to make sure I have all boxes in place – unless it is a very large box (my Hubby calls the trunk of my car the “Shipping Dept” LOL!), and for items I list, I box them up in their ‘inner’ box immediately so they are protected until they sell. After receiving payment I always follow-up with the projected shipping date, which is generally the next or 2nd business day.

But I agree with others – either mention specific dates you can ship in your ad (i.e.= I can only ship on Saturdays, etc.), or Communicate, Communicate, Communicate – and do it promptly.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Kujacker
                                Participant

As a seller, I try and get everything out ASAP. Even the day of purchase (self service USPS machine at night is my savior… I don’t have to talk to anyone and I can wait till the sun goes down). As a buyer, I understand that things can take awhile to ship… in fact I bought something on ebay on the 7th, and it wasn’t till this morning that I was notified that it had been shipped… I didn’t have much of an issue with it, but my one thought was “it took you 10 minutes to accept my offer but four days to ship. Huh”. I think, for me, having the item shipped within a week (no communication) is acceptable. After that, please let me know the hold up is.
                                  There was one time, to go along with what was stated above, that after a week of no shipping or communication, I asked what was up. No reply. After two weeks I filed for a return. A couple days after that I finally got a reply. Turns out they were in the hospital. I did get my item after everything was said and done and they were very polite and apologetic. I’m always polite as well, as I just feel like it’s better to be… even if the seller isn’t.

As for communication on my end, as many of you know, I have horrible crippling anxiety and severe depression. Sometimes, answering that email is just too much for me and so it sits. Then it sits. And days later I feel even worse about replying because it’s been so long which, well, cycles back into anxiety.
                                  …and this is why I try to get my items out that day or the next day to avoid long term communication like that >__>

And to go along with what Fatalbeauty said, poor internet. Sometimes I’ll be at work and get an email but the internet at work is seriously impossible… but by the time I get home I completely forget about said email and well… it might take a day or two before I realize I never replied.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.