fbpx

salwater creatures

Home Forums Miscellany Community salwater creatures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Purplecat
    Participant

It amazes me the diversity of bizarre creatures found in the oceans. I’ve never actually seen the ocean, but I’ve always loved looking up info about it and learning. Of all the marine creatures I’ve learned about…cephalopods are my favorites. These include cuttlefish, octopi and nautilous. Cuttlefish are my absolute favorites though. They can change color in a split instant…or flash like a vegas light display. They’re really intelligent too. For some awesome cuttlefish footage, and awesome info…go here and watch some of this Nova program. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/camo/ Really, it’s awesome!

In the meantime, what’s your favorite saltwater creature? I’m really interested to see everyone’s responses. πŸ˜€

Here’s a couple cephalopod pics too, gathered from the net. πŸ™‚

Purplecat
      Participant

twindragonsmum
        Participant

I grew up near the coast – Monterey Bay, Carmel and Point Reyes are some of my favorite coastal spots. The tide pools were always incredibly fascinating with the variety of flora and fauna contained in a small space… Jelly fish were always a favorite as were starfish and horseshoe crabs. Body surfing was fun too – really, really cold, but it gave you an opportunity to float along with the sea otters. I hope you get a chance to go to the beach one of these days, Purplecat; it still has the power to turn me into a kid again 😳 πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

tdm

dragonmedley
          Participant

I find sting rays to be really majestic, but any marine life fascinates me.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

purpledragonclaw
            Participant

I like octopus. They taste good on rice with ginger! πŸ˜†

Lokie
              Participant

Ah, this is hard because I actually don’t really like marine life. Which is sad because my sister is a marine mammal trainer.

But if I had to pick, I’d say my favorite is either a cuttlefish or mako shark.

Hard to say actually. Personally I would say sting rays.

My favorite is probably the white tip reef shark, I just think they’re beautiful, I also like rays, and the colorful eels, there’s a hawaian ribbon eel that is electric blue with a yellow stripe…I love salties.

Maria
                Participant

I love all marine life. When I was a little kid I wanted to be a deep-sea scientist for the longest time. πŸ˜† I’m fascinated by all those strange luminescent animals that live in the deepest parts of the ocean. My favorites are the cephalopods, though anything bright and colorful in a coral reef is a very close second.

Purplecat
                  Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

I like octopus. They taste good on rice with ginger! πŸ˜†

ew ew! πŸ˜› πŸ˜›

Katherine
                    Participant

Dolphins, Orcas, Belugas….they are so wonderful!
                      Lokie, if I could have a job like the one your sister has, I would be in heaven reguardless of the amount of icky stuff I’d have to deal with. I definitely wouldn’t qualify because of my lack of swimming abilities and my body weight, however I woud be willing to go through all of the psychology courses!
                      If it is possible to be a mermaid in a previous life, then I would have been! πŸ˜€
                      I love all creatures in the sea-not just the mammals. Even the weird creatures of the deep fascinate me (although I would be too afraid to swim in the dark!)

Lokie
                      Participant

eaglefeather831 wrote:

Lokie, if I could have a job like the one your sister has, I would be in heaven reguardless of the amount of icky stuff I’d have to deal with. I definitely wouldn’t qualify because of my lack of swimming abilities and my body weight, however I woud be willing to go through all of the psychology courses!

If you have a local aquarium or sea park that has the types of marine mammals you like, you should consider volunteering in their marine mammal department. You’ll most likely do the crap and unfun work, like fish prep, but it’s a way to get your foot in the door if you have no previous experience. Hopefully you’ll be able to observe some training sessions and also build a good relationship with the trainers. That’s what my sister had to do because although she has a degree in Biology, with a concentration in Marine Biology, and diver’s license, she had no previous marine mammal training experience. She had to volunteer for a year and a half before an opportunity opened up, and well, her pay is beyond horrible, but she’s really happy with her job. You never hear her complain about having to go to work. I wish I was so satisfied with my own job!

As for your swimming ability and weight, well, I don’t know your personal situation, but overcoming or trying to work around that is a possibility. Don’t let that stop you. Is it too late to learn how to swim?

Anyways, just some comments to help you in case you ever want to look further into working with marine mammals πŸ™‚

I have been fascinated with Marine life since I was a small child. As an adult I have the pleasure of owning a saltwater tank and the marine life lives with me…LOL!

The lion fish is an awesome critter but then again all animals fascinate me, I love them all…

To see some of my marine critters visit this page…http://hometown.aol.com/silverpenb/Critters.html

Cuttlefish, Lionfish, Sea Horses & Dolphins…in that order.

I hope the link is viewable…I am still working out managing this code…bear with me please…

Jasmine
                        Participant

Very cool. Do they all get along? I’d hate to buy some and then have them suddenly go missing. πŸ˜†

Whales, dolphins, sea turtles, otters!

I love snorkling – I can dive, too, but it’s been awhile and I need to get re-certified. One of the coolest things I ever did was go on a night dive while in Hawaii – you sit on the bottom and watch the rays swim over your head! It was so amazinig – and really, really cold.

That same trip we had just gotten into the water when an entire pod of dolphins swam around us. I nearly hyperventilated under water – NOT a good place to do it.

I also really like octopuses (sp?) and I would love to see sea horses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.