Ryl's PYO silliness

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Ryl's PYO silliness

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Rylorien
    Participant

Some WIP pics from my first attempt at a PYO. Just a regular kirin.

This is actually the second (nonconsecutive) day of working on it and I painted the basecoat of the face and ruddy mane/tail/spine stripe. The first day was the body scales…and man was that ever an experience! The paint job on them is atrocious because I used a brush that was too large so it ended up feeling like I was spackling drywall rather than painting!

I actually had a lot of fun doing the ruddy bits (it’s actually a mauve color with a russet sheen…which I didn’t mix enough of into the paint…but it’s just the basecoat so meh!), aside from going crosseyed trying to do all of the crevices of the hairs. I think half the time I was doing more of a drybrushing effect than solid painting because I was terrified of making a repeat of the scales mistake. But it was definitely a good way to finesse brush control.

The pictures are crappy because I used my cellphone. I didn’t feel like partaking in a runaround just to post WIP pictures (long story short, I have to use my old-yet-awesome digital camera…which means taking it’s Duo Pro card to the old family computer because I’m too cheap to invest in a USB reader for the Duo Pro card…then transfer the files via a USB drive to my laptop which I use to go online…so much effort, bleh!). As for the pictures, the first two probably capture the colors best but it’s still not super accurate…which is REALLY obvious in the second one where the light washes out the bottom of the ruddy color (on the tail) though the mane is probably the closest to the color in person. But enough rambling…time for the goods! (Or bads…lol…)

Ela_Hara
      Participant

Good start! Blocking in the color areas always looks bleh! LOL!

I also do a little bit of a runaround to get my pics up – similar to your camera-laptop-online shuffle. 🙂 Sometimes I also need to email files to myself if I want to use my desktop instead of my laptop when posting on here.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Rylorien
        Participant

I made so many changes to this piece, time and again, and I finally got to a point where I can sit on it and figure out what I want to do. The colors _eventually_ got to where I wanted them, if in the wrong spots. T_T

The body scales were supposed to be something of a golden color but detailed with red and pink. Unfortunately the lovely palsy in my hands courtesy of my grandpa’s genetics via my mom makes it hard to be steady so every time I tried to add in the details it just looked messy. So the body scales went from detailed gold, to metallic bronze, to an awkward pink color that wound up with a ruby reddish wash, to the final metallic pinky-mauve shade.

The hide started as a yellowish brown that matched the ruby-washed pink body scales really well but when I did the belly scales gold it clashed with the yellow fur; so the fur went to a more natural light brown with a grey undercast (which was more along the lines of what I originally wanted it to be anyway). But with the change in hide color, the ruby washed body scales looked wrong on the darker fur, so the scales went to metallic mauve (which is one of the colors the original detailing on them was supposed to be).

I’m not sure about the mane and tail. I knew I wanted them a darker red-pink, which is what this is, and I’m content with it. At least it’s similar to what I pictured in my mind’s eye. I do need to blend the mane better though, as the fawn-brown was supposed to fan outwards a little, blending into a lighter shade of the mane, then into the darker natural color…but when I did the initial blending for some reason the tan just thinned out atop the darker color and looks whitish rather than pink (I’ll probably have to blend up different shades of pink to layer together).

All I can say is T_T.

There’s a lot of hours of work in this, even though it doesn’t look like much. There is still detailing I would like to do, both to the body scales and fur, as well as the lid around the eye. Not to mention the light pink I need to make the tip of the nose and the inner ear tuffs (and I was leaning towards tipping the hooves in the same light pink as the nose would be). But, as I said, I’m finally at a point I can sit and stare at it before pushing again. In the meantime, I have a pyo dragon to work on for my fiancee. (I’m nothing if not obstinate!)

Also, photographing anything metallic is a pain the butt! Even in a natural lighting environment the photos just weren’t looking correct. The second picture here is probably the closest to how the piece actually looks.

etruscan
          Participant

The kirin is coming together very nicely. 🙂

Prezaurian
            Participant

I think you’re doing wonderfully! The color application is nice and even. Very smooth. And the color scheme is very harmonious. I’m looking forward to seeing the completed kirin!

MandBsMom
              Participant

I like it! The scales are a really nice shade.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Falcolf
                Participant

That’s looking quite lovely! Very pleasing colour scheme. 😀

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Rylorien
                  Participant

I took a break from Rosedust (my pyo kirin–you can see here in the background of some of these photos, and worry not, she growls at me for being incomplete) and am working on this guy, who’s going to be a gift.

He’s not complete yet at all. The eyes/gems are just sitting in the holes for the sake of the photos because I wasn’t sure I’d like the colors (the tail gem for sure is probably gonna have to be different from siam). I’ve a lot of touch ups to do, and I’m hesitant to make any big changes so I’m seeking input on him.

I feel like the red needs to be brought down into the body somewhere else. I’d originally intended to paint the darts in the black scales red, but every time I tried it just looked taudry. So I elevated the black (it was originally a matte black) by adding a mix of micropearl and a few drops of silver to a bunch of black, then washed that mixture atop the black (it gives it a very slick appearance and brings out the depth of the scale detail). The blue in the photos looks a lot brighter than it is in person–the deep navy you see on parts of the arms of the wings is more like what most of the blue is, aside from parts I’ve highlighted with a lighter blue (like on his forearms above the silver).

And the wings are definitely incomplete! I really wanted to blend the inner wing mebranes and was considering the boning and bottom markings in silver (though I’ve also thought to use the red there too but it might be too much). I was also debating putting silver darts on the tips of the spinal red scales but I worry it might clash.

Blarg…I’ve been looking at it waaaay too long. And it’s shiny so it’s blinding.

Help! lol

JynXx
                    Participant

I took a break from Rosedust (my pyo kirin–you can see here in the background of some of these photos, and worry not, she growls at me for being incomplete) and am working on this guy, who’s going to be a gift.

He’s not complete yet at all. The eyes/gems are just sitting in the holes for the sake of the photos because I wasn’t sure I’d like the colors (the tail gem for sure is probably gonna have to be different from siam). I’ve a lot of touch ups to do, and I’m hesitant to make any big changes so I’m seeking input on him.

I feel like the red needs to be brought down into the body somewhere else. I’d originally intended to paint the darts in the black scales red, but every time I tried it just looked taudry. So I elevated the black (it was originally a matte black) by adding a mix of micropearl and a few drops of silver to a bunch of black, then washed that mixture atop the black (it gives it a very slick appearance and brings out the depth of the scale detail). The blue in the photos looks a lot brighter than it is in person–the deep navy you see on parts of the arms of the wings is more like what most of the blue is, aside from parts I’ve highlighted with a lighter blue (like on his forearms above the silver).

And the wings are definitely incomplete! I really wanted to blend the inner wing mebranes and was considering the boning and bottom markings in silver (though I’ve also thought to use the red there too but it might be too much). I was also debating putting silver darts on the tips of the spinal red scales but I worry it might clash.

Blarg…I’ve been looking at it waaaay too long. And it’s shiny so it’s blinding.

Help! lol

Someone is cute!!! I have a suggestion for the red, and I think it’d be neat if he had red-edged wings, and maybe a few random red scales, or paint the center part of the black scales red? Anyway, he looks amazing so far, keep up the awesome work!!

↞↞≪∙ FOREVER SEEKING •↟•

• ► By Patricia Smith ◄ •
                      ☙ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
                      ✾ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
                      ✾ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

• ► By Melody ◄ •
                      ☙ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
                      ☙ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
                      ☙ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

Phoegonix
                      Participant

If I were going to add more red, I think I would do the center line of scales down his chest and the spines of the wings.

JynXx
                        Participant

If I were going to add more red, I think I would do the center line of scales down his chest and the spines of the wings.

Not to dis on your suggestion, because I thought about suggesting the red down the chest, too.. but then
                          I thought it’d look like he had open-heart surgery
                          o.o;

↞↞≪∙ FOREVER SEEKING •↟•

• ► By Patricia Smith ◄ •
                          ☙ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
                          ✾ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
                          ✾ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

• ► By Melody ◄ •
                          ☙ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
                          ☙ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
                          ☙ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

dragonmedley
                          Participant

You could antique the wings in red.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

StormDancer
                            Participant

Personally, for me I like the amount of red he already has. I would probbaly do the wing spines in the dark blue already used. Dark at the top and fading to match the rest of the wing color at the bottom. I might also outline the silver scales in a watered down vervsion of the blue. So that you get a hint of the blue but the silver still shows thru.
                              Thats my two cents!
                              Youve done great with him already. I can’t wait to see him finished!

Looking for:
                              "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Natasha
                              Participant

I love the color scheme on the Kirin – Earthy, but with more pop than just earth tones. I can’t wait to see your finished sculpt!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                                ANY Red Eyed Unis
                                ANY Test Paint Bat
                                UNIS:
                                The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                                Male- Snow Leopard TP
                                White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                                Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                                Mother: Okapi
                                Gothic - Mahogany
                                PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                                DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Rylorien
                                Participant

Life has been kicking me around, as per usual, so I haven’t had a ton of time to paint. But I DID finally get around to uploading the pictures of my finished dragon (which was completed near the end of January, if I recall correctly). I ended up deciding on silver-edged wings + wingbones, adding the same dark silver to the lighter silver neck frills, and adding red to the spines of the black scales as well as using a clear gem over a red one for the gem clasped by the tail.

I will say that after all was said and done, I realized a much, much easier way of doing the scale-spines but se la vie (I doubt the alternative method would work with a lighter color scheme, though that’ll just be something else for me to experiment with). That said, I don’t think I will ever have the patience to sit and handbrush every single spine with such tenacity again.

And yet here I am, stupidly trying to detail kirin scales with a similar intensity. Will I never learn? My poor palsied hands tremble so much when I stop for the evening that, were I to hold a pencil over a piece of paper, the resulting image would resemble an 8.0 Richter seismograph. I feel like the scales look a little messy but I was going for a softer edging so that they resembled petals more than a fish scale. Even though I don’t have a ton of time I do try to finish a few scales per week; it’s taking a lot longer than I’d like but it’s getting there. I get the sneaky suspicion I’m going to be spending a lot of time finessing when I finish them anyway. T_T

Ah well…photos!

Outside photos – the blue looks really bright in natural light and the black looks washed to a dark gray; I think the photo on the left is the one of the better ones in which to see the dark silver on the silver frills

Inside photos – it’s surprising how slick the black looks in a low-light camera setting; yes, the 2nd photo set is atop the dryer lol…that’s another one in which the neck frills details are visible; the back of the wings did have a dark-to-light gradient but it was pretty subtle so it’s not that obvious in these pictures

kirin wip photo – the light pink edging looks a little washed out but overall the color is the same as the actual piece

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.