fbpx

Regional Slang

Home Forums Miscellany Community Regional Slang

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

drag0nfeathers wrote:

HAHAHAHA!!!! Okay, that’s came out wrong. I guess Jennifer has “right angry, wot wot” on filter! πŸ˜†

The word I was referring to is not right angry, wot wot, but in fact “p-i-s-s-a-h” It’s not a bad word Jen I swear! πŸ˜†

Like “Melody paints some WICKED P-I-S-S-A-H Windstones!”

OMG, I can’t stop laughing! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Haha!! No, that word is NOT on the filters, but the filters are set up to catch partial words to keep the BAD ones away. This was just a really funny side effect!!! πŸ˜†
      ((for example the filter will not only catch the f-word, but any word that contains the f-word so that people can’t use it in any way))

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

siberakh1
      Participant

Jen, you picked up on another one in your signature…. “Same difference” is pretty common up my way (meaning ‘same thing’). πŸ™‚

pipsxlch
        Participant

Hah, I remember having the hardest time with ‘wicked’ when this Florida born and bred girl moved to Maine in high school! Wicked good? So do you mean it’s evil or good make up your mind! Ayuh.
          I knew/used a lot of the (older) New England slang before though, since my mom’s family was from Maine originally. One weird one was that a nightstand/small chest of drawers my Nana got she called a ‘commode’. Only heard that attached to toilets elsewhere. (here’s a good one; what do people in various regions call their grandparents? It was Nana and Grandpa for me; if my daughter has kids and they try to call me by the local Meemaw I’ll have to slug them j/k) It was ‘soda’ for me unless it was a cola, then it’s a coke no matter the brand. Yep, all tissues are Kleenex, plastic wrap Saran wrap, aluminum foil Reynolds Wrap and swabs Q-Tips.
          I do use the local ‘yawl’ for a plural ‘you’, and often have a hard time with long I’s. Yawl know whar th’ tahr arn is? I call the crayfish ‘crawdads’ also.
          Walmart=Wallyworld; I’ve heard targets called Tar-jay, and Kmart is Came-apart. πŸ˜€ My husband calls Lowe’s Louie’s, after his Vietnamese son’s mispronunciation the first time he went. It became their pet name for it.

siberakh1
          Participant

Grandma and Grandpa for me (though I never knew my Grandpa). I do tend to pronounce them Gramma and Grampa.

Another one… What do you call a porch? A porch, stoop, something else? We have a front step, back step, and a porch.

bayoudragon
            Participant

Porches are big; stoops are small… and mostly just concrete. πŸ˜€ Here’s a good example. This house has a nice big porch. Had it of only been the part that leads to the door, then it’s a stoop.

I’m wondering how many use the term “GET OUT!” to mean something cool and almost unbelievable. I’ve typed it a few times, but deleted it because I thought it might not come across right. 😈 Here’s an example…

Statement: “I found a perfectly good SK on the side of the road the other day.”

Response: “GET OUT!” That is so freakin’ awesome!!”

Lokie
              Participant

Grammy and Grampy for grandparents is popular here (for families whose first language is English).

However, to prevent confusion in our family, we called my grandmother on my mom’s side Grammy and my dad’s side Nana. I don’t know my two grandfathers so I’m not sure what the second grandfather would have been called.

It’s Front and Back Steps, and then Porch (if you have one).

What about Freeway, versus Highway, versus Interstate? Everything is referred to as a highway here, even the interstate.

NJ, here……
                Let’s see, there’s Taylor Ham/Pork roll. It’s kind of like Spam, only tastier and actually edible. πŸ˜€ And once you get out of the NJ/Philly, PA area, it doesn’t exist.
                Depending on what part of NJ you’re from, a “submarine sandwich” is called either a sub, a hoagie or a grinder.
                If you live in the southern half of NJ in the Pinelands area you might be a Piney.
                We have Six Flags Great Adventure, but it’s called “Great Adventure” by Jersey natives.
                We have BF Nowhere, and east Doodlyf***. Means the same thing as BFE basically.
                We don’t go “to the beach”, we go “Down the Shore” which is anywhere along the coast of NJ from about mid-state down. And if you live in the shore area year-round, the people that visit during the summer months are called “BENNYS”. It refers to people who come from northern NJ/NYC area. BENNY stands for Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York.
                We have “jughandles” and traffic circles. The first is for making turns that involve crossing a highway, the second is also called a “rotary” in England. It’s literally a big circle in the middle of the highway that has multiple roads that you can get off or on from.
                We don’t “go to New York”; we go “to The City”.
                If you were from around the Newark/Jersey City area, you don’t say “What?” if someone says something you didn’t hear, you go “Haanh?” It’s this kind of weird bleating sound that comes out of their nose/mouths…..My husband does that, and it drives me nuts. πŸ˜†
                It’s not Burger King, it’s Burp and Fling.
                You don’t carry a “purse”, you carry a pocketbook. That one got me in trouble when I went to college in AR…. πŸ˜‰
                A washing machine is a “warsher”, it’s not “Washington” it’s “Warshington” and a linoleum floor was called “earlcloth”. Corrupted pronunciation for “Oil Cloth”. That one might be a generational thing more than a locality thing…… 😳

On the grandparents’ names, my mom’s mom and dad were Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop, and my dad’s were Granma and Granpa.

Skeeterdeee
                Participant

Born and raised in NJ til I was in my teens!! I grew up on Pork Roll & cheese sandwiches, they even served them in school!! MMMMMM :yum: Last May we went on vacation to my hometown (Brigantine) & we went to Shop Rite and brought back a cooler full of pork roll!!

I’ve always called my grandparents Gram & Pappy. My kids call my parents Mo-Mo and Pap Pap, and my husband’s parents Grandpa and YaYa (but my mother in law is a YoYo so it fits 😈 )

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

On dad’s side, it’s just grandma and grandpa.
                    On mom’s side, it’s Lebanese… so it’s Siti and Jiti! (not sure if it’s spelled right… have only ever said/heard it, not seen it written).

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Jerusha
                    Participant

Minnesotans call Wisconsinians “Cheeseheads”. And there’s lots of border-rivalry jokes; I grew up in Rochester, MN, near the border with Iowa, so we had lots of Iowan jokes (think racial, dumb blonde jokes etc, except with Iowans) I wonder if the border with the Dakotas or Canada had the same thing?
                      And of course, it’s not regional slang but more of an accent – we had the “Minnesotan O”, the “dont’cha know”, and pronouncing one-syllable words like they have two syllables:
                      “toast” is pronounced “toe-est”
                      “don’t” is pronounced “doh-went” etc

and my grandma used to say “warsh” instead of “wash”

Oh, the memories… πŸ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.