fbpx

Regional Slang

Home Forums Miscellany Community Regional Slang

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Skeeterdeee
    Participant

kitsunelady wrote:

I remember someone from Pittsburgh (I think, it’s been a while) telling me that ‘jeetjet’ translated to ‘did you eat yet’ for them. πŸ˜€ Cause they say it so fast, so it it all blends together, haha.

Do any of you call a sofa a couch? We always call it a couch (almost never a sofa). o.o;

I thought of something else – we call tissues ‘kleenex’ no matter what brand they really are! I bet a lot of people all over the place do that, though. e.e Oh, and we call rednecks ‘hilljacks’, although I have a suspicion my friend Jeffrey made that up himself when he was making fun of another friend who is from Marble Hill (aka The Hill), which is pretty…well, it’s way out there in BFE, and they have honed their redneck skills to a fine point, let’s just put it that way. πŸ˜€

I wonder if your BFE means the same thing mine does. >.> @ skeeterdee

Anyhoo, I will listen tomorrow at work, and see if I can catch any other weird things we say!
      People do use “jeetjet” here!! And they use the phrase “N’at” which means “and that”. People here do tend to slurr their words together A LOT.
      BFE is a parking spot somewhere in “Egypt”-REEEEEEAAALLY far away from the store. πŸ˜€

bayoudragon
      Participant

OK, I had to find this… I hate this thing!! πŸ™„

We used to sell these in our gift shop… with the emphasis on USED TO! The tourists and kids would play with this thing for HOURS. The kids were the worse because they would constantly push the buttons until it sounded like some really bad re-mix… esp. the “AY-EEEE” one. OMG… the biggest purchasing mistake we made. We hid them when the school groups came in. πŸ˜†

Enjoy! 😈

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBqjCuDgFd4

Some of us came reeeeaaaalllly close to losing it. *twitch*

Heather
        Participant

Gosh, that’s funny: out here, “mosquito hawk” means one of those big bugs with the long legs that looks like a gigantic mosquito. I remember hearing dragonflies referred to as “darning needles,” but I’m pretty sure that was in a Peanuts cartoon. “No-see-‘ums” can refer to Culicoides flies or buffalo gnats. Sopulgids, especially the larger variety found in the deserts, are referred to as “sun spiders,” “wind spiders,” or “HOLY *BLEEP* DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?”

Here’s one for you: we always called it “soda pop,” because Mom used to have a horse by that name. No wonder I get funny looks when I call it that. πŸ˜‰

Surfing slang is on the wane overall, but it’s left some marks. “Dude” means guy, “tubular” means remarkable, wow, or amazing. “Wipeout” can be used to refer to a unfortunate and painful crash in sports other than surfing: skateboarding, dirt biking, roller-blading, etc. We also would say that such a person had just “munched it” or “gotten waxed.”

We used to say “going down to TJ” when someone was headed across the border to Tijuana for recreation. There, one could pick up a nice case of Montezuma’s Revenge, which I suspect everyone knows about.

“Freaking” is used for emphasis, as in, “It’s freaking hot today!” That term is probably used elsewhere as well, but “Majorly” used to have a similar usage and may have been more of a California thing. It’s fallen out of favor.

I could go on for a while about Valley Girl slang, but that’s (fortunately) out of date now. It was all the rage in high school. Like, ohmygaw, gag me with a spatula!

Jerusha
          Participant

The biggest difference I’ve ever noticed, having grown up in Minnesota, is that *EVERYWHERE* else, people play this game called “Duck, Duck, Goose”. In Minnesota, it’s “Duck Duck Gray Duck”, as in “red duck, blue duck, green duck, yellow duck GRAY duck!!! *tag*”

When I first went to Oregon to work at a summer camp, people kept saying they were gonna go to “Fred Meyer’s”. Who is this popular Fred Meyers?? Fred Meyers is a large chain store like Target, except with produce, groceries, and their own fine jewelry.

And everywhere I’ve been, they call it a couch, mostly. “Sofa” seems to be reserved for more formal seating, which has more to do with the room it’s in than the shape of the seating itself. If it’s in the family room in front of a TV, it’s a couch. In the living room where hardly anybody ever goes, it’s a sofa.

This is fun πŸ˜€

WolfenMachine
            Participant

kitsunelady wrote:

Haha, I like ‘mudbug’ better than crawdad too. >.>… *will call them that from now on*

Eh, I’m about two hours south of Poems, and yeah, we do call soda…well, soda. Although I think some people call it pop, but idk where they’re from. When I went to Mizzou, there were a lot of girls in my dorm who called all soda ‘pop’.

We don’t call our fridge an ‘icebox’…but my grandmother does. She lives a little to the east of us, across the river in Illinois.

Umm, I know I’ve heard other versions of this, but when we’re saying something is way out in the middle of nowhere, we say “It’s out in BFE.” I’m not sure I should enlighten you about what BFE stands for or not. πŸ˜†

XD Definatly heard of BFE. Its Funny because my mom’s house is in BFE and there is literally a small town called Egypt nearby! I live near a town called Cypress, so my friend Jeremy and I have a joke “WHere are you?”…..”I’m at home”….”Which home, Egypt or Cypress?” I can drive across Africa in an hour! lol

What’s a Pop Rouge? I know Rouge is Red. Something like a cherry crush?

bayoudragon
              Participant

Pop Rouge was made by Barq’s in the 80’s. If I had to describe it, I would say it was like drinking a strawberry cream soda… with a LOT of fizzies! :yum: A part of me wishes they still made it… though it was probably un-godly unhealthy. πŸ˜†

Jennifer
                Keymaster

I live in Western NY state and we sort of get a mix of midwestern slang, Canadian slang, and northeast redneck slang. XD

Fizzy drinks are called Pop.
                  Crawdads/mudbugs/whatever are called Crayfish.
                  A creek is called a Crick.
                  A sofa is called a couch.
                  Here we don’t say BFE… we say BFN (the N is for nowhere).. because there is a LOT of nowhere out here. XD
                  We also say ‘out in the tooleyweeds’ for ‘the middle of nowhere’. It might also be spelled ‘toolieweeds’…. I’ve never seen it written before!
                  ALSO we sometimes say “Podunk” as a way of saying the middle of nowhere.
                  A freezer is a freezer, though my grandma calls it an icebox. I think this tends to be a generational thing.
                  Tissues are always ‘Kleenex’ too… same thing with plastic wrap, it’s called ‘Saran Wrap’ even if it’s another brand. (see what good branding can do? LOL )

I remember last year when I took my group of out-of-state friends (from California, Texas, Flordia, Oregon, Maryland, etc) to a restaurant and many of them ordered a Hot Turkey Sandwich. Everyone present was horrified when the sandwich came and asked how on earth they were supposed to eat it. Here, a hot (anything) sandwich means a piece of bread, meat and gravy, another piece of bread, then more gravy and possibly a bit more meat. A big gooey gravy thing. They’d never seen one before and couldn’t fathom that you are supposed to eat it with a knife and fork! πŸ˜†

Lupin, I watched/listened to that video and I understood it all! What does this meaan? XD

I also use ‘dude’ a lot, but it doesn’t mean I’m talking to a guy.. I use it with ladies too!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Elena
                  Participant

Hoser = Loser. The team that lost the hockey game would have to hose down the rink. Comes from when rinks were community built and maintained or (in mums case) the frozen pond or slough! Adds a whole new dimension to ‘The Hoser Hut’ πŸ˜†
                    Timmies Maple Log = A long dounghnut (Longjohn) with maple flavoring in the dough, maple frosting and topped with crushed pecans or walnuts :yum:
                    Iced Tea is the powered crystals version not cold tea
                    Newfie = Someone from Newfoundland
                    The Rock = Newfoundland
                    Cowtown = Calgary
                    Chucksville = Edmonton
                    Stubblejumper = Someone from Saskatchewan
                    BC Fern = Marijuana
                    The Island = Vancouver Island
                    Hockey Night in Canada = Darn near a Religion πŸ™‚
                    Center of the Universe = Toronto. Used derogatorily 😳
                    Amerski or Merski = American
                    Out in the Tumbleweeds = Middle of nowhere. We also use BFN
                    Frogs = People from Quebec or speaking French. Used derogatorily 😳
                    Mickie = Large bottle of hard liquor
                    Kerfuffle = commotion or issue with ie. What’s the kerfuffle about? or she’s having a kefuffle with him/it
                    Screech = a very rough potent liquor from Newfoundland. Lupin would be the one to tell us about ‘a shot of screech and kissing the cod’
                    White Hatted = A Calgary thing. Important people or people who’ve done something exceptional are given a white stetson cowboy hat in recognition. Also given to important visitors to Calgary to make then honorary citizens
                    Branding = Another Calgary thing. During the two weeks of Stampede if you come through the Calgary International Airport you get branded. A team of volunteers stamp your hand before letting you go. If you try to avoid them they will lasso you (with a real lasso) drag you over and stamp your hand before turning you loose 😈

Ah the Twoonie. Out here it was also called the ‘Nanuk’ (Inuit for Polarbear I think) for a while before Twoonie took over. I also had a friend going to college in the states when they first came out and having her ask me to send her a roll cause all the MAericans were facinated by it. Also remember when you could get the center to pop out of them… πŸ˜†

Lupin – Newfies!!! Yes I think they have their own language πŸ˜€ My sister’s brother-in-law is a Newfie and I could barely understand him when he was out for the wedding… though had the same problem (though not to the degreee) with her in-laws from Nova Scotia 😳

Lokie
                    Participant

We had a somewhat similar thread way back when. This is a topic I love reading about.

Representing New England, and more specifically, North Shore, MA:

Jimmies-candy sprinkles on ice cream or cake
                      Pinchers-bugs others refer to as earwigs
                      Bubbler-drinking/water fountain
                      Couch-sofa
                      Soda-any carbonated beverage of the Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, etc. variety
                      Dunks-Dunkin Donuts (coffee place). It’s hard to fully express how popular this franchise is. It’s everywhere!
                      A “regular” coffee is with cream and sugar.
                      And when we say we are going “Bowling”, we mean we are playing Candlepin bowling. You say 10-pin when you are going to play 10-pin bowling.

Elena
                      Participant
                        siberakh1
                        Participant

Northeastern NY (north of Albany, just below the Adirondacks, and fairly close to VT as the crow flies)….

Though, there are some things different over in New England proper, closer to Boston I’m sure.

– Couch. Sofa occasionally if it is in more of a formal setting.
                          – Freezer – We call it a freezer.
                          – Refrigerator – We call it a fridge.
                          – I use dude a lot, and know a lot of people who do. It’s one of the few words you can have a whole conversation with, using only that one word.
                          – Freaking is used for emphasis.
                          – ‘You guys’ is common.
                          – Rocky Mountain Oysters – You don’t really hear much about them here (I don’t know of any place that serves them this direction, but I had them in Idaho and yes, I did know what I was ordering).
                          – I use Creek and Crick interchangeably (depends on the sentence).
                          – Dinner instead of supper, but I hear supper a lot, especially with doing ren faire stuff.
                          – Water fountains – I’ve always called them water fountains or drinking fountains. I know of some near Boston who call them bubblers. Talking about the kind they have in schools in the halls for kids to use, or near public restrooms in malls and the like to get a sip of water. Water coolers if its the office kind with the big jugs that need to be replaced when they empty.
                          – Soda. Only the sugary stuff, like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Mr. Pibbs (sadly, can’t get it here, but I’ve had it elsewhere and it is good!). I know some call it pop, but not those from the area. Not all fizzy things.
                          – Vichy – Sparkling Spring Water. This is more localized I suspect, but it’s what I grew up hearing it called, thanks to a local producer and most of the people who grew up with it in the area seem to call it that (Saratoga Water, thanks to the springs that gave Saratoga Springs it’s name).
                          – I call it a tissue, but I’ve heard kleenex.
                          – I’ve used crawdad and crayfish for some of the local crustaceans we’d find in a small stream by the house (yes, I am in northern NY. I don’t know where they came from if they weren’t supposed to be there).
                          – For ‘the middle of nowhere’ – East Podunk. East Jesus Bumble -F***, East Jehunga F*** (my dad likes to use the last one… he grew up in Iowa).
                          – Whirlygigs (never seen it spelled, so who knows the correct spelling) or airplanes – the little seed things that come off of sugar maple trees.
                          – I’ve been to a Tim Horton’s in the states and in Canada. I find them a good stop for a sandwich if I’m traveling (I don’t eat Burger King/McDonald’s/etc.). One is actually a landmark I use to turn at to get the ‘good’ border crossing near Calais back to the states (10 minute wait at the smaller, more local crossing versus the 2+ hour wait at the one everyone knows of on the maps that is horrible and the US border people are rather mean at. It’s marked on the Canadian map, but not on the US road atlas.

We do have a few funky names for some of the stores local to the area (some are long gone):
                          – Montgomery Ward – Monkey Ward
                          – Walmart – Wally World
                          – Cumberland Farms (Convenience Store/gas station chain) – Cumby’s
                          – Target – Tar-jay (spawned from a conversation at 3am in college by a friend ranting about it and giving it a fancy ‘French’ name comparing as an upscale Walmart).
                          – Grand Union (old Grocery chain) – Grand Onion
                          – Great Escape (local theme park, was StoryTown long ago, then became Great Escape, then got bought by Six Flags and is Six Flags: Great Escape) – Great Mistake
                          – Advanced Auto (car parts store) – Parts out of Africa (I have no idea why…)

My mom has some lovely phrases for ‘nicknames’ of places in Saratoga Springs years ago, before it was quite as developed as it is now (some of the busiest multi-lane roads now had barely any houses on them at the time!), including a place called ‘the gut’ (there is actually a historical marker for it).

I’m sure I could add more if I thought about it.

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

LOL!! Yes, Walmart is Wally-World, Target is Tar-jay (though the closest one is about 80 miles north of me). Home Depot is the Home Despot.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
                            Participant

Jennifer wrote:

LOL!! Yes, Walmart is Wally-World, Target is Tar-jay (though the closest one is about 80 miles north of me). Home Depot is the Home Despot.

BWA HAHAHAHAHA!!!! YES!!! ALL 3 of THOSE! πŸ˜† I find that hysterical that here we are thinking we invented those terms and they’re all over. We also call McDonalds, Micky D’s.

All I can think of for us New Englanders is the use of the word “wicked” (other then what’s already been covered anyway)

Like that’s freaking awesome, that’s wicked awesome… basically means the same thing. Usually wicked means something “evil”

Another one we just kind of made up is “pissah” which means something good as well. πŸ˜† Like “I got a pissah schedule this week!” Means, I got a very good schedule” LOL! (see explanation to why this makes NO SENSE AT ALL in the next post)

Now take what you have learned and there are some “Melody paints some wicked pissah Windstones!” πŸ˜†

Oh and the term “sofa” doesn’t even exist except on TV commercials.

Got a busted Windstone?
                              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                              Siphlophis Male Dragon
                              Calypso Hatching Empress
                              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                              Tattoo Mother Kirin
                              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

HAHAHAHA!!!! Okay, that’s came out wrong. I guess Jennifer has “pissah” on filter! πŸ˜†

The word I was referring to is not pissah, but in fact “p-i-s-s-a-h” It’s not a bad word Jen I swear! πŸ˜†

Like “Melody paints some WICKED P-I-S-S-A-H Windstones!”

OMG, I can’t stop laughing! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Got a busted Windstone?
                                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Skeeterdeee
                                Participant

Jennifer wrote:

We say these too!! except Home Depot is Home Dee Pot. McDonald’s is Micky D’s too. My hubby calls Lowe’s Home Improvement “Blowe’s”. Our chain of grocery store is called Giant Eagle, we call it Big Bird.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.