Quest 14 – Voting (4/14 – 4/21)

Home Forums The Tanglian Wilderness Quests Quest 14 – Voting (4/14 – 4/21)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    phantomess
    Participant

Awesome photos! They really are all great, but I chose one.

Will we also get to view the non-finalist entries at some point? I see a couple people have posted theirs in another thread, but only a couple.

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Kiya
      Participant

We’re not officially posting them, but the entrants are welcome to if they like.

Next time, I will be more clear that they need to wait until AFTER the quest to do so, however. πŸ™‚

Kim
        Blocked

I think if there are going to be three winners, it would be nice to vote maybe 3 times. I think if one photo for example gets all the votes but 2 others that people also might love, don’t get enough votes then yes there would be a clear winner but not clear runners up. I have seen a couple photos with like next to no votes that I think deserve to place. I also see it looks like maybe people are getting their friends to vote for them on photos when I think there are better ones not getting votes.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Stephanie
          Participant

I also see it looks like maybe people are getting their friends to vote for them on photos when I think there are better ones not getting votes.

But just to remind everyone of the rules:

Social Media and Voting – It is okay for the finalists to post their entry and solicit votes on their own personal Facebook, Pinterest, and other social media accounts, HOWEVER, the finalists may NOT claim their own entries on the forum and all entries on the forum will be kept anonymous by the Windstone staff. The finalists will also be posted to the official Windstone Facebook page (and possibly Pinterest) to allow entrants who do not have Facebook accounts to gain additional exposure and votes. You can also email your friends, family, etc and request votes, but remember – voting will be restricted to active, registered accounts.

Sirithiliel
            Participant

Yea >.> but hopefully the new method of voting [to active accounts, not just-registered people] will help make things even for those that don’t request votes on their pictures lol. I know that the suspense is going to put me on edge to see which wonderful pictures win next week XD

Stephanie
              Participant

I know for me, any of the quests I’ve entered, I never begrudge those who actively campaign for their pictures/votes. They have every right to do that and I’ve done it too.

I also know that there are /lots/ of people who vote who are truly voting on the merits of each photo, and I believe it all balances out in the end.

Plus, these quests are meant to be fun. πŸ˜€

I think it’s as fair as it’s ever going to get, and I think it’s just fine that people ask for votes from people they know. πŸ™‚

Right now the challenge we have with voting is that we can either let you vote for as many as you want (so you could conceivably vote for all 15!) or for just one. There’s no “pick 3 favorites” option. πŸ™‚

Since we need to end up with a winner, the “just one vote” has been working relatively well as a way to get to that point as well. πŸ™‚

But, if everyone would like more votes, maybe we can get the voting mechanism adjusted to allow 2-3 or something! πŸ™‚

It’s so awesome of you to even consider it Kiya. There’s definitely no need to adjust the way to vote. It’s like you said, there can be only one winner for these things.

The only thing that would change, by allowing us to vote for more than one (say for a max of 3), would be the ability to accurately list who the second and third place entries were. And although they wouldn’t win anything, they would probably get the grins from having placed in the top three.

I have at least narrowed it down to two now, the one that had me giggle out loud when I viewed it and the one where I thought, ‘Wow, now that’s a neat scenario’

I would also like to add, although I knew that the secret keeper was a VERY large sculpture, seeing it up there on that kitchen counter with the Old Warrior across from it, Holy smokes, she’s HUGE! That’s like a cubic butt-ton of gypsum. :->

Kim
                Blocked

I don’t even have a photo in the contest so it doesn’t affect me at all but I just was surprised to see the results after voting once and felt bad for the ones that didn’t have votes or hardly any because some of those are really good and just as deserving as others with lots of votes.

Kim
                  Blocked

There are 3 prizes for 3 winners so the second and third do get something.

Kiya
                    Participant

There are 3 prizes for 3 winners so the second and third do get something.

This time there is – there is not always a prize for 2nd and 3rd.

Kiya
                      Participant

I don’t even have a photo in the contest so it doesn’t affect me at all but I just was surprised to see the results after voting once and felt bad for the ones that didn’t have votes or hardly any because some of those are really good and just as deserving as others with lots of votes.

While I do see the point in what you’re saying, unfortunately, having more votes per user does not guarantee they would get any more votes than they get now.

Also, if people are voting for the underdogs just because they feel bad for them, we may end up with inaccurate counts making it hard to select a winner. This kind of thought process is why I don’t love the idea of opening up more than one vote per person. πŸ™‚ We want there to be clear leaders in the votes – it makes our jobs a LOT easier in awarding prizes (versus having 10 people tied for third place and having to disappoint someone when it goes back to judging).

Plus – I, personally, would feel WORSE if I missed a prize by one or two votes than if I missed it by 20 or something.

Dandr13
                        Participant

While I do see the point in what you’re saying, unfortunately, having more votes per user does not guarantee they would get any more votes than they get now.

Also, if people are voting for the underdogs just because they feel bad for them, we may end up with inaccurate counts making it hard to select a winner. This kind of thought process is why I don’t love the idea of opening up more than one vote per person. πŸ™‚ We want there to be clear leaders in the votes – it makes our jobs a LOT easier in awarding prizes (versus having 10 people tied for third place and having to disappoint someone when it goes back to judging).

Plus – I, personally, would feel WORSE if I missed a prize by one or two votes than if I missed it by 20 or something.

I agree that more than one vote per person probably isn’t a good idea. But I think it would be better if there was a way to not show the current vote tallies. That way no one would have to feel bad for the underdogs because they wouldn’t know who was winning. It also makes it a nicer surprise for the winner if they don’t know in advance that they are ahead.

Of course I don’t know if it is possible with this type of vote to not display the results ahead of time.

Kiya
                          Participant

It’s not possible at this time to NOT show the vote tallies. The best I can do (and have done) with the voting functionality in Drupal that we have right now is to not show the votes until AFTER you place your vote.

To a certain degree, I’m not sure we would want to hide the results. It adds a layer of transparency to the process as well to allow users to see how the voting goes and to be able to confirm the announced winner matches the entry with the most votes. I think it’s pretty typical to show the results ahead of time in most voted contests.

Kiya
                            Participant

Just as a reminder, only ACTIVE forum members may vote. If you have only registered to the site to vote for the quest, you won’t be able to vote. πŸ™‚

Ela_Hara
                              Participant

Last Day to Vote!
                                Right now we have a 3-way tie for First!

Good Luck Everyone who entered! πŸ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.