fbpx

Preparing to take the plunge… *update 7/8*

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Preparing to take the plunge… *update 7/8*

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ela_Hara
    Participant

I may be a little unconventional, but I’ve had some luck in using the Liquiitex Acrylic Spray color paints for priming.

Ha, I was wondering if anyone besides me had tried the Liquitex acrylic spray paints. I got the white and unbleached titanium on sale. I used the white as a base coat for my last PYO. I really like the evenness and silkiness of the finish afterwards. My only problem was the amount of overspray. I sprayed indoors in my attic, in a huge box, then had a plastic painters tarp attached to the ceiling behind, and still found evidence of the spray getting around it.

Wow, Lokie! You’re brave to try using these in the house! I only use spray can paints outside, because of the ‘drift’ factor and the smell. πŸ˜‰ Although I need to wait sometimes because you can’t use the spray paints when there is any measurable wind (over 2 mph), or rain of course. πŸ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
      Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
      Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
      *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Lauren
      Participant

I only have a small handful of colors – I generally just mix. I have both Liquidex and Golden mediums and honestly I can’t tell the difference in terms of ‘feel’.

Of course, I am not much of an artist or PYO painter so that might be part of it! πŸ™‚ I have a pearlescent medium, a couple gloss mediums, and a metallic medium.

I actually ran into a small problem when I was trying to get the liquitex iridescent medium (which I think is supposed to do the pearlescent tinting like you’re talking about. It’ll either do that or metallic; I guess I’ll find out). When I tried to order it, it told me it couldn’t be shipped overseas due to manufacturer restrictions / licensing stuff. This happens more often than you’d think and can be really frustrating. I have a way around it since I actually am a US resident and I can get my mom to put it in a larger box of things for me, but man, it’s just a hassle sometimes the hoops I have to jump through.

I’ll have to see if I can find any decent spray paints for priming. I know I can get some cheapo spray paints up at the store, but I think maybe they’re more for outdoor use perhaps. I have a difficult time reading the labels since it’s all in Japanese though (I have given up on literacy at this point) so that makes me leery. But otherwise it sounds like regular paint will do, so we shall see. (And in any case it’s now rainy season, bleh, so that means having a chance to do any spraying may be difficult.)

In the end I decided to splurge a little more and get some of the lumier metallics as well in the tiny 1/2 oz bottles, and I got the GAC 100 even though it’ll mean my package will have to wait a bit longer to ship. Regardless, I’m REALLY excited, and as soon as I can figure out how much I have to put toward statues, it’ll be time to order me some PYOs!!!

Falcolf
        Participant

Personally, I use regular craft paint (typically Folk Art, Apple Barrel or Americana) and they work just fine – I really haven’t ever noticed a difference in pigments. However – I do use a Winsor and Newton medium for layering/making my paint transparent and Golden interference paints. I use and really recommend Golden varnish for protecting the piece at the end I love the stuff, it does a marvelous job of removing the tacky feel that the piece might otherwise have. I used to seal my stuff with spray sealer and that stuff is AWFUL! (At least for me, I’m like ridiculously inept at using spray cans for some reason.) The paint on stuff is so much better – you have a lot more control over what is happening.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Lauren
          Participant

I thought about buying the Golden varnishes, but I kind of wanted to space out the expenses and keep the box from becoming too heavy (keep the shipping costs down). I know that I can get liquitex varnishes in both a silk and glossy form here, so I will be looking into that a little closer to pay day. Windsor and Newton’s supplies can’t be shipped overseas apparently, so I went with the GAC. I’ll keep in mind the recc about them in the future though. If this ends up being something I enjoy a lot though, I’ll probably do a price comparison with the Windsor and Newton stuff when I move home as I doubt that I will be spending all of the money to take everything back with me. Glad to hear that the paint on varnishes are nice to use, though–I think it’s actually more difficult for me to find spray varnish here than the non-spray type.

Lauren
            Participant

Ahhh I am so excited…!!!! Yesterday evening after I got home from work I ordered a bunch of the statues: two foo pups, two kirins (one of each style), a gryphon and the little dragon. Reason being, shipping costs me so much to get to Japan I needed to make the most of my money!! This morning I woke up to confirmation that my order is complete, and hopefully it’ll be shipping soon…!!

I also got an update from DickBlick on the art supplies and they’re supposed to be shipping out within the next 2-3 days, and hopefully reach me within 5-7 business days. I had to remove the Golden GAC to get it to ship out faster, but cleverly I deduced that I could send that and the Liquitex pearlescent to my home address in the States and have that sent out in a larger box with personal items so I can get all the stuff I need…. No interference paints, but I have a well rounded palette of colors for mixing plus a bunch of the jacquard metallics to try out.

I’m so antsy and really praying that everything makes it in time for my birthday/four day weekend that is coming up not this weekend but next. It might seem a bit far-fetched, but it’s possible, at least once they reach Japan’s side mail goes very quickly and things ship every day, no breaks for Saturday or Sunday. I would just love to spend basically four days doing nothing but painting (and possibly writing); I’ve been so stymied for something fun and relaxing and creative to do lately that I’m certain it would be great therapy.

dragonmedley
              Participant

Usually, if the order says complete, it’s been shipped. You can email Susie and ask her for the tracking number πŸ™‚

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lauren
                Participant

Usually, if the order says complete, it’s been shipped. You can email Susie and ask her for the tracking number πŸ™‚

Dang, in that case they got it done quick! I will PM Susie, thanks for the heads up. πŸ™‚

Kiya
                  Participant

Dang, in that case they got it done quick! I will PM Susie, thanks for the heads up. πŸ™‚

It’s better to email Susie – she doesn’t always see PMs right away! πŸ™‚

Kim
                    Blocked

I have just used craft acrylic paints myself and found them to be fine. I do not prime my pieces first because I find I need to do 3 or 3 coats of paint on the piece to get the colours I want and if I primed it too, it would make the paint layers too thick. Especially with things like dragon wings I found that if you use too many layers of paint, the little scales will not show up well or be really hard to antique.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Lauren
                      Participant

I have just used craft acrylic paints myself and found them to be fine. I do not prime my pieces first because I find I need to do 3 or 3 coats of paint on the piece to get the colours I want and if I primed it too, it would make the paint layers too thick. Especially with things like dragon wings I found that if you use too many layers of paint, the little scales will not show up well or be really hard to antique.

Thanks for that bit of advice. I’d have been disappointed if I lost a lot of detail because of too many layers of paint. Everything should be arriving sometime early to mid next week, so I’ll get to figure it all out soon.

Lauren
                        Participant

The Dick Blick paint order arrived in the mail today! I was really shocked it came so fast, because it seemed like it got put into the post a day later than the Windstones. Which are also now in Japan, according to the tracking service, so I’m thinking either tomorrow or Monday. Then I just have to wait for a box from my mother with the pearlescent stuff and the GAC and brushes and I’m good to go! I’m so excited!!!

Lauren
                          Participant

Wow! Most amazing timing ever. Today I slept in late (an occurrence that is becoming much rarer as I get older, wah) and it was almost 11 and I swear I’d only been conscious for about five minutes when suddenly there was a knock at my door. I threw on something presentable fast as I could, opened the door, and there was my PYO package! 8D I’m so close to being able to start now I can practically taste it. Here’s hoping that the package from my family doesn’t go too slowly through the mail system. /fingers crossed They only sent it off Thursday but usually about a week or a week and a half is all it takes, hard to know with the weekend being factored in too though.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.