fbpx

Possible solution for dragons with open wings

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Possible solution for dragons with open wings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant

I was thinking today about windstones at school (yeah I shouldnt be, but o well lol) and I remembered that you said you wanted to produce a dragon with its wing spread out. Then for some reason I was thinking of reinforced concrete. Well they used iron bars to hold it together and to make it stronger….see where this is heading? I was thinking maybe you can make a skeleton then try to put it in a mold to make a dragon that can have open wings. Its just a random thought that I decided to share, maybe it’ll work you never know.

Anthony
      Participant

Melody
        Keymaster

Onyxt wrote:

I was thinking today about windstones at school (yeah I shouldnt be, but o well lol) and I remembered that you said you wanted to produce a dragon with its wing spread out. Then for some reason I was thinking of reinforced concrete. Well they used iron bars to hold it together and to make it stronger….see where this is heading? I was thinking maybe you can make a skeleton then try to put it in a mold to make a dragon that can have open wings. Its just a random thought that I decided to share, maybe it’ll work you never know.

That is a way to make wings stronger. It is much less trouble to keep the wings tucked in as much as possible though. Shipping is easier, casting is much easier and breakage is reduced. No matter what you reinforce wings with they will still be sticking out in space where they are vulnerable to knocks and bumps. The only safe thing to make them out of is metal or plastic that can’t chip.

Anthony
          Participant

Melody wrote:

Onyxt wrote:

That is a way to make wings stronger. It is much less trouble to keep the wings tucked in as much as possible though. Shipping is easier, casting is much easier and breakage is reduced. No matter what you reinforce wings with they will still be sticking out in space where they are vulnerable to knocks and bumps. The only safe thing to make them out of is metal or plastic that can’t chip.

Yeah true, it was just a random idea that popped in my head. Just chose to share.

Starbreeze
            Participant

Sharing thoughts and ideas is what the forum is all about!!! πŸ˜‰

Bob

and one might actually work to get us an Empress dragon with open wings!!

Megan
                Participant

Don’t you think it would be really cool to have a large metal dragon sculpture (with open wings) in front of the new factory/Windstone museum someday? That would be so neat! There is a bronze dragon taller than me in my favorte park in Colorado, and the kids (well, everyone!) adore him πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

That’s a GREAT idea!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Purplecat
                    Participant

I’d like to see a dragon with open wings someday too, but I think perhaps the solution I’d like best is a open winged dragon cast in bronze. I think the glass eyes of different colors would be neat to play with. Dichroic eyes with a bronze finish dragon…sigh… Is is possible to color tint bronze? like to give blue accents, perhaps by painting or some other finish? I dunno..just thinking out loud.

Adaneth
                      Participant

purplecat wrote:

I’d like to see a dragon with open wings someday too, but I think perhaps the solution I’d like best is a open winged dragon cast in bronze. I think the glass eyes of different colors would be neat to play with. Dichroic eyes with a bronze finish dragon…sigh… Is is possible to color tint bronze? like to give blue accents, perhaps by painting or some other finish? I dunno..just thinking out loud.

πŸ˜† You’re making me drool over here! I’d love to see bronze with dichroic eyes!

Purplecat
                        Participant

Lol…me too. However, casting bronze is of course much more dangerous…and may have to be hired out for someone else to do…unless Melody wants to tackle that hurdle. They’d weigh a bunch too. But personally, I think a few limited editions would be worth it. πŸ˜€

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Melody has said in previous threads that she’d love to do bronze, but it’s something that they’d have to look into in the future (low on priority list) as it’s very cost prohibitive.

I hope to do bronze sculpture once I am financially stable, myself. I love to sculpt but I cannot find a medium I like, since I love to do things like open wings and little pokey details that break off of every other medium.

The question is… who is willing to pay $2,000, or more, for a bronze they like? That’s a big chunk of change.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

Bronze would be really cool, but I don’t foresee having that kind of money to buy one.

Would it work to design an open winged sculpture where the wings and body were separated for shipping? The wings could be packed in molded foam (or something) to help prevent breakage. Customers would then assemble the sculpture by inserting the wings into the body, hopefully w/o having to glue them in.

Melody
                            Keymaster

Megani-chan wrote:

Don’t you think it would be really cool to have a large metal dragon sculpture (with open wings) in front of the new factory/Windstone museum someday? That would be so neat! There is a bronze dragon taller than me in my favorte park in Colorado, and the kids (well, everyone!) adore him πŸ™‚

Is there a picture of him somewhere?

Setsunawolf
                              Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Melody has said in previous threads that she’d love to do bronze, but it’s something that they’d have to look into in the future (low on priority list) as it’s very cost prohibitive.

I hope to do bronze sculpture once I am financially stable, myself. I love to sculpt but I cannot find a medium I like, since I love to do things like open wings and little pokey details that break off of every other medium.

The question is… who is willing to pay $2,000, or more, for a bronze they like? That’s a big chunk of change.
                                The answer to that question is mostly businesses, some collectors, and the occasional wealthy individual but they usually want to commission the piece. If you sculpted them so the could spout out water and be part of a fountain there is a big market for that sort of thing. My roommate’s dad does do bronze scuplts for a living. You can cut prices by overseeing the casting yourself and doing them in larger lots. If the foundry does the mold it will cut costs as well and then the foundries will usually guarantee the finished product.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                                Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.