fbpx

Picture hosting sites?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Picture hosting sites?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

What would you guys say is the most reliable/best picture hosting websites? I was using photobucket until yesterday, when a virus managed to get past my anti-virus program, and infected my damned laptop. I spent most of last night, and the better part of today getting rid of the virus AND my old anti-virus program. 😡 What fun….NOT. 🙄 I don’t know which I should be *more* aggravated about; the anti-virus program that was asleep on the job, or the photobucket site. 👿
    But I seem to have dodged a major bullet, since I was able to get rid of the bug and install a better/new anti-virus program without having to re-format the entire computer. keeping fingers crossed that THAT is actually true!

Skylover
    Participant

Heh, glad to know that I’m not the only one who got a virus from Photobucket. All I was doing was looking at a picture of a PYO. Nice…

Anyway, I know that Nam(Jennifer) posted a few alternate sites in the “How to Post Photos” sticky in the Welcome/Introductory Forum section that you might be able to try. I haven’t tried any of these myself though so I can’t tell you which is best. I honestly can’t say that any of them will be any safer since I seem to be catching viruses left and right on any site where people share things. I’m getting rather ticked off about it to say the least.

LadyFirebird
      Participant

Well I use Image Shack–I’m not on there much except to upload pics to post on here. It seems to work for me, but with any of these sites, there’s no guarantee of them being virus free or that your anti virus software will catch them! I’ve heard of other people having major problems with photobucket. Koishii uses Image Shack as well and I remember a post where she said that she had tons of pictures on there and it hasn’t blown up yet!

Lokie
        Participant

That sucks. I know there’s webshots & imageshack but I’m not sure if they are any better. I think you can use your Facebook gallery as well, but it would be more limiting.

tasgrs wrote:

What would you guys say is the most reliable/best picture hosting websites? I was using photobucket until yesterday, when a virus managed to get past my anti-virus program, and infected my damned laptop.

I feel like I must be dodging bullets, because I haven’t had a problem with photobucket…. as far as I’m aware. How did you find out it got past your anti-virus program? I’m not too computer savvy, so how would I know if my anti-virus program isn’t catching it? It didn’t show up in virus scans?

I’ll have to check out other image hosting sites to be on the safe side.

Bodine
          Participant

tasgrs wrote:

What would you guys say is the most reliable/best picture hosting websites? I was using photobucket until yesterday, when a virus managed to get past my anti-virus program, and infected my damned laptop. I spent most of last night, and the better part of today getting rid of the virus AND my old anti-virus program. 😡 What fun….NOT. 🙄 I don’t know which I should be *more* aggravated about; the anti-virus program that was asleep on the job, or the photobucket site. 👿
            But I seem to have dodged a major bullet, since I was able to get rid of the bug and install a better/new anti-virus program without having to re-format the entire computer. keeping fingers crossed that THAT is actually true!

I am with you on that.My Dino is down because of that crap from photobucket too 😡

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Bodine
            Participant

Lokie wrote:

That sucks. I know there’s webshots & imageshack but I’m not sure if they are any better. I think you can use your Facebook gallery as well, but it would be more limiting.

tasgrs wrote:

What would you guys say is the most reliable/best picture hosting websites? I was using photobucket until yesterday, when a virus managed to get past my anti-virus program, and infected my damned laptop.

I feel like I must be dodging bullets, because I haven’t had a problem with photobucket…. as far as I’m aware. How did you find out it got past your anti-virus program? I’m not too computer savvy, so how would I know if my anti-virus program isn’t catching it? It didn’t show up in virus scans?

On mine,A big red box just popped up and said”Virus has infected your computer” too freakin late 👿 Got past everything we had up 🙄

Pegasi1978
              Participant

Lokie wrote:

Same here and I’ve had the same photobucket account for years now. Also have you reported the infected files to photobucket itself? They need to know so they can work on their end of things.

darjeb
                Participant

I used to like Photobucket but they have made so many silly changes that I don’t even like to sign on to it anymore I would like something else as well. It takes me ten times as long to add a picture and a lot longer to add it to the Forum as it used to.

I knew the pc was infected because I got the red box of death saying your computer is being attacked. The second way was a box that opened saying “your anti-virus program is not active; do you want to activate YOU anti-virus program now?” And that’s exactly how it was spelled/phrased: you anti-virus, not YOUR. That’s a hot tip off right there; the misphrasing.
                  And it didn’t matter what you clicked on, apparently. Because then I was immediately transported to a p0rn site! 😡 And then the cascade of popup boxes saying this file or that file is infected, blah, blah blah blah…..And then it blocked the access to the real anti-virus program, and wouldn’t allow me to run it. I had to reboot the computer in safe mode, and ran some anti-malware programs first, then the anti-virus program. THEN I took AVG off the pc, installed a different program and ran IT. I finally got an all clear, after several hours’ worth of sitting and waiting for the scans to finish. What a royal PITA. *sigh* And all I wanted was to post some PYO pictures, since I’ve done a few more of them since the last time I posted pictures of any PYO’s. 😳

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

So you were on photobucket when your computer was being attacked…or was it before/after you got on photobucket that you got attacked?

I learned a while a go that free anti-virus programs are free for a reason…they don’t typically work. I have Kaspersky on my computer now and it does pretty good.

bayoudragon
                    Participant

I just got Kaspersky this year, and I’m pretty pleased with it as well.

Skylover
                      Participant

I don’t know about tasgrs, but I was attacked while looking at a picture on Photobucket. The same exact thing has happened to me more than once on LiveJournal as well. I’m attacked, and it’s a hostile computer takeover. I’m kind of staying away from both sites for right now. My anti-virus – McAfee – isn’t free, but I’m finding that it’s pretty useless. I’ve had to use Malwarebytes (which is free and actually works) to get rid of this fake anti-virus trojan. I’m currently looking for something that works (I am very, very unhappy and disappointed with McAfee), so I’ll take a look at Kaspersky. It can’t hurt at this point. I just want something that actually prevents my computer from getting infected.

Lokie
                        Participant

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanations. I haven’t encountered that virus from photobucket yet, thankfully, although I had gotten similar acting ones years ago (don’t remember now from which sites >.<).

I currently have Norton, but it’s up in April, so maybe I’ll check Kaspersky. I don’t hate Norton, but I really have nothing to compare it to.

Bodine
                          Participant

pegasi1978 wrote:

So you were on photobucket when your computer was being attacked…or was it before/after you got on photobucket that you got attacked?

I learned a while a go that free anti-virus programs are free for a reason…they don’t typically work. I have Kaspersky on my computer now and it does pretty good.
                            I was on it myself,playing with my personal album.I would contact them but I don’t want to go near it.I am currently on my husband’s laptop and he would wring my neck if it picked one up because I went back to the place I got it from in the first place.Is there another way to contact them safely?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.