Paypal Question

Home Forums Miscellany Community Paypal Question

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Thanks, Skylover.
      Somehow the problem fixed itself. On Friday I wrote them a note about it; maybe that helped. Before calling I tried once again to pay, and this time the payment finally went through. I don’t know what the five-day wait was for, though, because the card was ready for use last Wednesday. :shrug:

LadyFirebird
      Participant

When you sign into paypal look in your account, there is a link that says ‘show limits’ and these are the amounts that you can send, receive etc. From what I understand, these amounts are set to ‘0’ each month so whenever you opened your account, let’s say April 26th, your limits would be set to ‘0’ on May 26th. I read somewhere that this is the case. If you want to lift these limits, then you provide the extra information like your bank account etc. Someone had a good suggestion that you open a small account just for paypal. I’m like you, don’t like to give out too much personal/financial information on any one given site. Also, I can’t see why putting your personal bank account information will make you more ‘secure’ to sellers. Like, what if you don’t have that much money in your checking account–then what?

I’m new to paypal myself and figured this on my own. I’m sure there are others out there who have dealt with paypal a lot longer that I have and have more information.

Afternote: I stand corrected here–I went into my paypal account just to see what this is about and the reset to ‘0’ applies to receiving and withdrawals from your account. Once the sending/spending limit is up, then you have to get ‘verified’ to use the account. I refuse to get ‘verified’! So I’ll do what everyone else has suggested–open another account with another email etc. They claim that the seller never sees your payment info–then how did some people get hacked? After my limit is up, I will just close the account. Other than Windstone and getting items from nam, I rarely use it. I’m sure that Windstone staff isn’t going to use my credit card fraudulently and I can write nam checks.

You can’t be too careful out there!

Jennifer
        Keymaster

LadyFirebird wrote:

They claim that the seller never sees your payment info–then how did some people get hacked? After my limit is up, I will just close the account. Other than Windstone and getting items from nam, I rarely use it. I’m sure that Windstone staff isn’t going to use my credit card fraudulently and I can write nam checks.

You can’t be too careful out there!

Sellers can’t see your payment info (if you are referring to sensitive personal information such as credit card numbers or passwords, etc).

People usually get hacked when they get things such as phishing emails. These are emails that usually look just like official emails from Paypal, asking you to do something with your account, for example ‘you must log in to keep your account active’ and then provide a link to do so in the email. The problem with this is that usually unsuspecting customers will do so, and the link takes you to a hacked site that saves your login information which can then be used to use your account fraudulently.
          The number one way to avoid being hacked is if you ever get emails from paypal, or ebay, or any site that has financial information tied in, is to log out of your email then go to (paypal/ebay/your bank) page in a separate browser, log in normally, and see if you actually have any problems or not. It is never, never a good idea to click links in an email when it pertains to anything financial such as paypal or your bank, because those emails are easy for hackers to fake.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Amanda
          Participant

I get those phishing emails from paypal and ebay all the time. Always forward them to spoof @ paypal.com, etc. I love getting 2 or 3 every week from Bank of America saying my account needs updating, very thorough of them seeing as I don’t have an account with them πŸ˜›

As for Paypal and being verified, I got my account verified right away, I always thought you were suppossed to…

Maria
            Participant

Yeah, my PayPal account is verified and I’ve had the same credit card number on it since I started using PayPal two years ago.
              Whatever. The problem’s cleared now, whatever it was.

Skylover
              Participant

LadyFirebird, I used to have the same opinion about verifying my account, but several things ranging beyond Paypal stepped in. I have not only verified it, but upgraded my account so that I could accept payments from people. I purchased a house, and before I was able to recover financially from closing costs, I had to get my roof replaced. To get money for this, I had to sell several of my Windstone pieces, and many people were only really comfortable paying with Paypal. It worked out well though, and my roof is no longer leaky.

Also, since I wrote the first post, I’ve had my mortgage company play games with a check. (Basically you will write them a check, it will get lost in their system somewhere, you will pay them because you don’t know what happened to the check and put a stop on the check, they will find it eventually after the due date and try to cash it despite the fact that you have told them you have put a stop on the check, they won’t be able to cash it, and then they charge you a fee because your check didn’t go through even though they have their money.) The only way I could stop them from doing this again was an automatic draft from my account. So, they now have my account number. Then, my stundent loan company decided to go “paperless,” which required, of course, giving my account number to another corporation so that they can withdraw payments as well. Heck, even Royal Crest decided that they would have to run a backround and credit check on me if they couldn’t deduct their money from my account. For MILK! I have pretty much fought, and lost, a battle to keep my account number from these corporations. Honestly, if someone were to hack into any of their databases, I could be totally screwed. To try and minimize what might amount to a major snowball effect, I keep as much money as I can in another account. I also watch my account like a hawk. I need to. Being verified with Paypal is hardly a concern now.

bayoudragon
                Participant

I am verified as well, although I do like the seperate bank account idea.

And as far as phishers go, I respond to their e-mails before I report them. I give them a username and password… although it’s usually something rather obscene. πŸ‘Ώ πŸ˜› If I’m ever unsure as to whether I’m on a legit site, I enter a wrong password, just in case.

Setsunawolf
                  Participant

I have a smaller separate account. I’ve had trouble w/ Paypal taking money from my bank account instead of my CC, thus overdrawing my account. I called the bank told them what happened and they waived the fees. Apparently paypal screws up quite a bit.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                    Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                    Sun Dragon Koi #3

LadyFirebird
                    Participant

There are some good suggestions here as well as people who are verified and have no problems. Let me put it this way folks–I’m older than your average windstone collector and we old folks get mighty suspicious of all this online stuff. I’m nervous as heck even having to access my bank account online. I didn’t grow up with computers–I remember the early ones that took up a whole room πŸ˜† ! No VCR, no cell phones, I mean I remember where I was when Kennedy got assassinated! Got the picture πŸ™‚ ! I could pose for one of them ‘Ole Warrior’ pieces πŸ˜† ! I get a little edgy with personal information on computers. I don’t have all those years to get back everything I could lose to a hacker! But I also try to keep up with the times and get on forums, online banking, and paypal is part of it. It was a learning experience to read all what everyone posted and I’ll take it to heart.

I especially like the suggestion of a naughty password for sites you feel is phishing you πŸ‘Ώ ! Someone told me that there could be a way that someone could even get into your email addresses and send emails to everyone in there and the way to help prevent it is to set up phony emails in the beginning and end of your list. Well I’ve got some naughty and downright vulgar/obscene email addresses they will come across if they try messing with my list πŸ˜† πŸ‘Ώ !

So here is what I plan to do–open a checking account for paypal transactions only and keep the minimum in there and transfer over money when I need to. I’ll talk to my bank about getting a credit card that doesn’t have a high limit–can’t afford so spend $3,000+ on some of these statutes anyway. I will set these up for all my paypal stuff and that way can keep better track of my purchases without going overboard which we all can do on this site and ebay and such. πŸ™„ 😈

So, ya think I gots a good plan for a nervous older lady?! Tell me what ya think πŸ˜€

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

LadyFirebird wrote:

So, ya think I gots a good plan for a nervous older lady?! Tell me what ya think πŸ˜€

I think it’s a very good plan. πŸ™‚

Setsunawolf
                        Participant

Sounds like a great plan. :yes:

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.