fbpx

Old favorites

Home Forums Miscellany Community Old favorites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Megan
    Participant

I thought since we’re all collectors here you guys might get a smile out of this 🙂

I finally completed a little collection I’ve been working hard to build up. With the addition of the Jungle Playground, my set of The Lion King Jungle Friends Babies is finally whole. The Lion King is still my favorite animated movie, and I fell in love with it when it came out way back when. Of all the million and one Lion King toys I had in Kindergarten and throughout elementary school, I loved these little guys the most. But after a while they fell victim to the carelessness of a 7-year-old and her cohorts — the itty bitty accessories got lost, a new puppy worked his teething magic, friends borrowed and never returned. When I saw them on eBay completely by accident last year I decided to get the whole darn set, something that never happened when I was a kid.

Here’s the Jungle Playground in all its glory:

I set it up in the grass, just for old time’s sake. The only thing missing is little kid me and my best friend, fighting over who got to play with Nala and who had to play Simba, the boy. (For the record, I usually lost.) These silly toys bring back so many good memories. Like when no one around here had ever even heard of a Walmart yet, and Target and K-Mart were the only stores that really counted. The original toys we played with came from K-Mart. I remembered all over again how exciting it was to ask to look at the Lion King toys, and Mom and Dad unexpectedly saying “Alright, you can have one.”

Sweet nostalgia… 😥 😆 Anybody else have any old favorites they’d like to share? I know there are some MLP people here, and there was a discussion going on about Kitty Surprise somewhere. Got pics? Would love to see them 🙂

Megan
      Participant

LadyFirebird
        Participant

That is so sweet! None of us have really ‘grown’ up, that’s why we collect fantasy figures from Windstones! I still have some stuffed animals I had when I was a kid–an old lion with one eye and a grey cat with green eyes and they blinK. These were at my grandmother’s house and as a kid I would sleep with these things when we visited her. When she passed on they were given to me. I still have them–these items are at least 40 years old! 🙂

purpledragonclaw
          Participant

Congratulations, megani, it looks like fun! There’s nothing like collecting toys from your childhood again. I have a herd of MLPs I procured from e-bay; like you, I had some of them but never the ones I really wanted when I was a kid. I also still have an original Pound Puppy and Popple. I even still have my lunchbox from 5th grade! Some things I never throw away.

LadyFirebird
            Participant

You hit somethere there, purpledragonclaw, as kids we sometimes were never able to get the things we wanted. My family didn’t have much money, they couldn’t afford to bring me to the dentist let alone buy the toys I wanted! Now that we’re older I guess we want to satisfy that child within us, that will always be with us, and get the things we yearned for but could never have. I got to thinking about those stuff animals I posted about earlier and just realized that they may be closer to 60 years old! Man, how the years go by and man, am I getting old! 😆 😮

To this day, if I’m in the toy section and see something I’d like, I buy it for myself heehee! My confession for the day! 😀

Megan
              Participant

Grown-ups deserve toys, too! 😛 😆

Anybody remember Littlest Pet Shop, or Puppy/Kitty/Pony in My Pocket? They’re bringing those back now like they did MLP. Both look nothing like the originals, of course…

bayoudragon
                Participant

I actually have my MLPs on a shelf in my art room. I didn’t collect many. I have about a dozen or so, but I have some of the original ones – Butterscotch (my first one), Minty, Snuggles, etc. My only problem is a had them on my windowsill for a while before I mounted a shelf for them… so one side of their butts are a little faded. 😳

I also still have my wuzzles and care bears. XD

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

I still have MLP and Rainbow Brite toys. I would still have original Strawberry Shortcake as well if I hadn’t sold them on ebay. In fact I need to pull of the old toys and decide what I’m doing with them.

My parents only bought me enough of any one toy set to go in whatever carry case the toy had…so for ponies 6 adults that fit in the stable carry case, plus a baby or two…until someone else gave me the Baby Bonnet School of Dance that could hold a few more pieces. Same thing for SS and RB. So when I went on ebay to add to my MLP herd it was because they were some I wanted originally, but didn’t get because of the imposed limit. I now have a second stable carry case that’s full, as well as unopened anniversary editions of the original 6 collector’s ponies. I’ve even bought combs and brushes that went with the ponies I’ve added to the herd as well as getting new ribbon (in as close to original colors) for tail ribbons. I could cut it to the right length because I still have a few original ribbons for my ponies.

purpledragonclaw
                    Participant

I remember Littlest Pet Shop! I remember the cartoon they did for it, too, just like the Pocket Dragon cartoon!

lamortefille
                      Participant

Since I have at least 15-20 years on most of you, I don’t have any MLPs, etc. I don’t think they came up with many “collect them all” type toys until years later. The things I remember most fondly, I have gone out and re-bought. Some vintage Snoopy items, like mini playing cards and pencils, some Avon pins and a “stick” perfume. I still have my favorite stuffed animals, which were actually hand made by my mom and my sister. How times change. lol I have a snoopy cologne decanter from Avon, too. I gave it to my dad about a bazillion years ago and he never got rid of it. 😀 The NFL glass also reminds me of him…he was rarely without a scotch and soda while watching the game. (Sorry, I kind of wandered into childhood memory lane there).

Megan
                        Participant

Snoopy! Now there’s something they’ll hopefully never change 😀

I used to have a few MLPs..would love to get them again. I had a little yellow baby and pink baby. My sister has always wanted me to find this one greenish unicorn with jewel eyes. I remember her being in one of the movies too…(if you know which I’m talking about, link me please)

Also a show called The jewel riders. I had the unicorn and my sister had the pegasus. I now have the dvd of the episodes they did, but haven’t found the toys.

Also, Sonic and friends! I had a few comics and loved the show. ;_; I hope to one day buy the dad collection too.

Teddy Rubskin o_o I hated that thing…..I would bet it up and put it in the closet…it stared at me -all- the time.

I also want my old Jurasic Park Raptor back. You squezed his legs and his neck moved and mouth opened. *sigh* I would take him to school, play between the pine trees’ roots with my friend, and feed him chips during lunch…*sigh*

www.nakaseart.com

purpledragonclaw
                          Participant

Nakase wrote:

I used to have a few MLPs..would love to get them again. I had a little yellow baby and pink baby. My sister has always wanted me to find this one greenish unicorn with jewel eyes. I remember her being in one of the movies too…(if you know which I’m talking about, link me please)

I believe you are referring to Fizzy. Her symbol is two fountain sodas. She is my favorite! Here is the link. This website is a good reference for the original MLPs; I used it frequently back when I was collecting my ponies.

http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/4th_edition_ponies.html#twinkle-eyed_ponies4

Pegasi1978
                            Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

Nakase wrote:

I believe you are referring to Fizzy. Her symbol is two fountain sodas. She is my favorite! Here is the link. This website is a good reference for the original MLPs; I used it frequently back when I was collecting my ponies.

http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/4th_edition_ponies.html#twinkle-eyed_ponies4
                              Another good pony web site is http://mylittleponycollector.com/ I used it to figure out what color combs and ribbons to give the ponies I added to my collection.

Christine
                              Participant

Nostalgia ahoy!

I had a few MLPs when I was little, a mommy, a few babies. My sister and I also LOVED Puppy Surprise! We had a few of those, and used to build a schoolhouse out of blocks for our puppies 😀 But mostly I was wild about Breyer horses, I was one of those horse-crazy kids. I haven’t collected those for a while though, and my collection is pretty beat up from years of love from my sister and I. We played with those for countless hours.

I did start building up a little collection of My Little Ponies in high school, since they were relatively affordable collectibles for a teenager. I have quite a few now, especially the Summer Wing and Windy Wing ponies. I had one when I was about 5, and it was my favorite toy EVER. They’re still my favorite MLPs today!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.