fbpx

Not to Declaw!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Not to Declaw!!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

I’m late on the reply. I have two cats and neither are declawed. I would never declaw a cat. It’s very painful for the animal. I understand that the vet MUST keep the cat a day or so after declawing, because of how much pain the animal is in. Apparently all the cats will do the day after is cry, that’s how painful it is.
      My cats do scratch on occasion, and for me, just yelling at them is generally enough. Sometimes my cat will just look at you screaming at him and continue to claw until you actually get up and start approaching him, then he’ll stop. My dad’s cat will stop when you yell, but he’s a very skiddish cat.
      I trim their claws regularly. Not just for clawing reasons, but it’s good for all animal’s health to have trimmed claws. In fact, clawing for cats is, from what I understand, their attempt to “trim” their own claws.

Rachel
      Participant

I’ve also heard of putting double sided sticky tape used in carpet installation onto the parts of the couch that your cat scratches, cats hate the feeling of something sticking to their fur. Just make sure to test the tape out first to be sure it doesn’t end up hurting your material.

Hehe. Doesn’t work for my cats. They eat that stuff. Brats.

For those that have never had cats declawed, it is not so traumatic as some people would say. In my experience, they didn’t seem to have nearly as much discomfort for that as the spay surgery. Nor did they seem at all distressed after they healed. Take it for what it is, but please, don’t think poorly of people that make a different choice. They are not being intentionally cruel, and may not be cruel at all. Some organizations exaggerate the negatives, but I believe that it isn’t helpful to the cause to exaggerate or be judgemental. After all, most people generally just want to do the right thing for their pets, so gentle guidance is usually enough (like people did here).

Setsunawolf
        Participant

I have both declawed and non declawed cats. I also have shredded furniture. 🙂 My declawed cats adjusted just fine to not having their front claws. I would never declaw all 4 feet. But some of mine were pretty feral when they came to me and it declaw or no home. My mom’s rules for her house. They got declawed because it was the better option. Kittens adapt easier but adults will get the hang of it.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
          Sun Dragon Koi #3

i am so glad you decided against the declawing!! hooray!! :hugs:

<3

Pam

Don’t they make “boots” for cats to keep them from clawing?

That being said, a declawed cat is better than a dead or homeless cat IMO. I would rather see a cat declawed and allowed to stay with the family it loves than have to be taken to a shelter or PTS because it claws stuff up.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.