fbpx

Not to Declaw!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Not to Declaw!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

I have had my cat Ana for 2 years. She is my first indoor cat and I love her and everything about her except the clawing. I didn’t want to declaw her when I got her as a kitten. I always thought it cruel since they literally cut off a joint along with the claw. Well Ana LOVES to claw things up. At first it was just towels, then the comforter, then the door, and now it’s about EVERYTHING! We just recently bought a very nice sofa, it’s ruined along with the dining rooms chairs and TV chairs. Anytime I see her doing it I scolded her. I have used Water guns, which do not work because she has grown to like it. I have used the claw caps that you glue on their claws. Those things last about 2 days on Ana. I have used sprays to ward her away and to attract, I have claw post in every room. I even bought her a big kitty house that has carpet and places to scratch.I don’t want to give her away. I love her as does my family. I am at a loss. My friend just had their 3 year old cat declawed using lasers. Which is suppose to be very mild on them. I don’t know if it would affect her mentally. I do know I can’t keep losing all my furniture to her. Does anyone have any advice?

Skeeterdeee
    Participant

I agree with you, I think it is kinda cruel to get them declawed, but it might be necessary sometimes. While you are deciding about what to do, if you put a handful of pennies in an empty tin can and shake it at her when you catch her doing it, it should temporarily scare her away. Water guns stopped working on my cat, too. She got so used to them that she started trying to catch the water with her tongue! 😀

Tinks
      Participant

What type of claw posts do you have? For my cats I use the natural wood ones. I also get the spray cat nip and use it on the cat posts/beds.

Hannah
        Participant

I’ve always been against declawing cats for several reasons (you already mentioned how invasive it is – not many people know that!). I would never think less of someone who did it to their cat, so don’t think that I’m condemning you if you decide to!! This is just my opinion – I don’t want you to be offended because I ruv you <3

The reasons I refuse to get my cat declawed are:

1 – She came with them installed.
          This is of course the same reason that you already mentioned, and the reason that you didn't get your cat declawed to begin with – it's cruel! I'm sure you already know but for anyone who doesn't realize what declawing means, if you were to do the same type of surgery to a human, it would be like removing your fingers at the last joint of each finger (basically the tip of each finger if I understand this correctly.) This is the main reason I refuse to do this to my cat.

2 – Although she's an indoor cat, what if…
          What if she gets out one day? What if an animal gets into your house somehow? Cats defend themselves primarily with their claws. If, god forbid, my cat somehow snuck outside and she didn't have her primary attack mechanism, her chances of survival if she ran into a hostile animal would be severely reduced. It's much less likely that an animal will ever get into your home, but I can't say that it would never happen. A dog got into my house once and my cat pretty much ran and hid – which is likely to happen with most house cats, but it's still something to think about.

3 – I can reduce the damage she causes.
          I've never done anything with my cat's claws other than clip them. I tend to try to get this done at least once a month, or whenver she kneads into me and get the "oh, oh god! OH GOD IT HURTS!" reaction (and she just purrs at me and knead knead kneads).

All that said – if you decide that the only way to save your furniture, etc. is to declaw her, I'd like to repeat that I wouldn't think any less of you for it!! You do what you have to do, girl. Just because I disagree with it doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do in your situation. I would say the only real advice that I have at this point is to try keeping her claws nice and trimmed. When I clip my Boo Boo's claws I can't even feel them when she kneads on me for at least a week, and I've seen her try to scratch things when they're freshly clipped and she can't really get a hold of fabric enough to do any damage.

In any case, I wish the best for you and your Ana!

Edited to include this link:

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

Tells you a lot about what declawing is, what it will be like for your cat, and the possible complications.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Adaneth
          Participant

I don’t know how she is with getting her claws clipped. I started with both my cats as kittens, and I do it every week. So they’re pretty short and blunt as a whole and my cats rarely scratch more than as a routine when they get up in the morning. Mind, they do like the ‘texture’ of certain things, so I keep my computer chair covered with a blanket and don’t have ‘normal’ furniture, so sometimes they just scratch my carpets.

Afraid I don’t know anything about laser declawing, but I’m glad you’re aware of how it can affect them. Does she climb a lot? I’d be afraid of her falling if she’s used to doing a lot of climbing and is suddenly declawed.

Amanda
            Participant

I am dead set against declawing. When my Callie was a kitten, I took her in for her spay and declaw because I was stupid and thought that’s just what you did when you got a new cat. I had NO idea what they actually did during the surgery and I’ve regretted it ever since (Callie will be 9 Easter Sunday this year). I just can’t forgive myself for -in my view- mutilating my little baby. Never again. I have heard that the older the cat is when you have the procedure done, the more likely they are to have complications, but I don’t know if that’s true. Taking off the last joint on their paws causes them to walk differently, just like we would shift the way we moved if we lost the ends of our toes. My boy Sneezer has ruined my couch, I can actually see the frame. I just toss a blanket over the arm. 😛

Here is a good site to look at to help you with your decision. 🙂

http://declawing.com/

Diana L
              Participant

I’m coming out of the other camp here *hides behind couch* Both my cats are declawed and have had no problems at all but they were done as kittens. We are only talking about front ones only aren’t we???

I was lucky enough to find a vet that did declawing the old school way and not the new way of removing the first knuckle. Mine were done by pushing the nail sheath all the way back and then some to get at the nail root then clipping it off there. This leaves the foot in one piece and the only thing missing is the nail. Sort of like taking your toenail off and leaving the toe in one piece.(sorry if this sounds gross, apologize)

My cats are happy and still will tumble or attack each other every once in while, sort of like two sock puppets. You do have to watch they don’t get out a little more closely but mine don’t know what outside is anyway. I have all my furniture and things intact and they don’t even try to scratch and have developed other ways to itch their feet, one has taken up cardboard boxes and the other just ignores it altogether.

I wouldn’t have the heart to mutilate my cat’s claws with the surgery type. If done right the nail removal works well, just the vet doesn’t have the time skill or knowledge of that other type and there is a chance they may grow back in time. End of my story…..

Rachel
                Participant

I don’t think there’s any need to run and hide. I’ve had declawed cats all my life until now. I’ve had cats that were declawed when young and a cat that was declawed when it was older. The older cat (I don’t remember how old she was when it was done) did not recover NEARLY as quickly. As such, I don’t recommend that your kitty be declawed at this point in time. The cats that were declawed as kittens were just fine. It didn’t seem to bother them and they still “scratched.” So, once she heals, she’d probably not really miss them.

All that said, my current cats have claws still installed. Yes, they are more work, but I don’t love them any less. They HATE having their claws clipped, even though they’ve had them clipped since they were little. Still, try clipping them on your girl on a regular basis (be gentle but firm–wrap her in a towel, if necessary). If that doesn’t work, think long and hard about whether you will be able to deal with shredded furniture for another 10-20 years… If you can find some other way, do it. But it is far better to be practical than to end up in a situation where you’ve reached the end of your patience and you have to find a new home for your girl. (No, I don’t think this is ever a GOOD option nor do I believe you’d ever do this, but it does happen, especially when life changes happen.)

declawing is very cruel. it should be considered animal abuse. for all the reasons that Hannah listed above. cats scratch… that’s just what they do, its their nature. stop buying furniture that she will ruin and tailor your house around her if you want to keep her… just don’t physically alter her to suit your fancy.

okay, probably won’t like me much after this post, but i have to say my piece. i feel very strongly about this.

microfiber seems to work really well with all my cats for couches, and solid wood for tables and chairs, btw.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Declawing is probably cruel.

I do believe that we should not bring an animal home unless we can give it the best possible life we responsibly can.
                    I also see a lot of animals that are put down simply because a home- any home- could not be found for them…

A great number of people are going to have some problem with their animal fitting into their lifestyle though… from little things to big things, even while attempting to provide ideal conditions and the best care.

I also look at the numbers of animals euthanized every day. It’s a staggering, depressing number.
                    I look at the number of animals in limbo… that have shelter, food and water at a animal shelter or rescue, but not much quality of life. This, too, is an astronomical number of animals.

A tough thing indeed, is this dilemma. What is the lesser of two evils? Animals that are put down or live in a shelter with little to no quality of life, or an animal that undergoes a temporarily painful, mildly disfiguring surgery but otherwise is given the best quality of life until the end of its years?

The simple answer is to keep the cat, keep the claws, deal with the destruction and try to prevent it. And people do this. But every person is different and every situation is different. The tattered furniture is just stuff, but it is part of our dwellings, that the state of our dwelling can have a VERY real psychological impact on our health. Quality of life for the owners should not be completely dismissed. Some people wouldn’t bat an eye while others would obsess over it and it is a very real problem.
                    The answer then might be to rehome the cat, rather than declaw. This is not impossible, but ask anyone that has tried, or has worked at a shelter, how easy it is to find a good home (that will not just turn around and declaw the cat anyhow) for an older cat with known destructive behaviors. Imagine how many cats are dumped, left at shelters for long periods of time, or put down because an owner was out of money, or options, or patience. It’s depressing and it’s a real issue.

Griffinlover, I wish I had some good ideas for you to try, other than just seconding regular nail trims and see how that goes. I wish you the best with this hard situation.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Sorry for the late response. I have had a stomach bug. Ana cat stayed beside me the entire time. I love her so much. She is sitting next to me as I type this.
                    As silly as it might sound I have read all your responses out loud so Ana cat could listen. I don’t think she fully understands but she is a very smart cat and she knows when I don’t feel good or I am deeply troubled.
                    As I stated in my first post I find declawing cruel. Like Hannah pointed out it is taking a full joint off. I always consider my animals like people and I put myself in their place. I wouldn’t want to loose a joint. I also realize that furniture is just things but there needs to be a happy medium.
                    I have catered to Ana. She is very spoiled princess. Maybe that might be one of the problems. When I do not give her enough attention she goes nuts and starts the clawing. I appreciate everyone’s opinions.

Daydreamer I am not upset that someone tells me their opinion. I wouldn’t have posted on here if that was the case.

Jennifer you are very wise. Their are so many animals on the streets and in shelters because people didn’t want the trouble of taking care of that animal. I am in it for the long haul. I can not just give Ana away because she claws my furniture or anything else for that matter.

I am going to try and clip her claws short. I would greatly love some links or people’s own experience in this matter. 🙂

Adaneth
                    Participant

Make sure you don’t hit the quick! If her claws are pale colored, it should be easier to see where that is. The quick will probably be long if her claws haven’t been clipped much in the past, just working away at it over a period of weeks will help shorten it and get the claws shorter.

I give my cats a treat or a meal after each clipping session, which means one of my cats loves clipping sessions and purrs the whole time, while the other is convinced I intend to chop off his toes (because I got his quick once SIX YEARS ago).

I don’t know if you’re in the market for a clipper as well; I find the guillotine-style ones too pesky to use, but some people might use normal human-style nail clippers on a cat. I use a simple model meant for cats and small dogs. Rather like this.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

http://www.petfooddirect.com/blog/2010/05/how-to-clip-your-cats-nails/
                        This link has a video and an image that shows the process well! Now, the cat she has is very calm about it (either it was taught that it’s a good thing or it’s just a mellow kitty!) so don’t be discouraged if your cat tosses a fit. It may be a process at first.

I use positive reinforcement to train my parrots (that are not cats obviously but easily freak out over nail clippings) to be still and calm during the process. I figured out what their most favorite treat in the world is, and have a handful ready. The first time I did this, I was only able to get one nail clipped before there was HUGE drama. So I clipped the nail and immediately my parrot got the treat. Then we took a break, and did another nail. DRAMA!!! But another treat was to be had immediately after the clip.

It took a few sessions (so, a few months, since I don’t have to clip them too often) before my parrots learned that me clipping their toenails meant goodies and so therefore it is worth putting up with it. I imagine that the same type of training can be used for a cat if you are patient with it and consistent with rewards for the behavior you want.

Here is another photo of the claw, it’s a bit easier to see than the one in the article:

I too recommend the type of clippers that Adeneth linked to. They seemed to work the best when I would help clip cat claws.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

Amanda
                        Participant

I’ve also heard of putting double sided sticky tape used in carpet installation onto the parts of the couch that your cat scratches, cats hate the feeling of something sticking to their fur. Just make sure to test the tape out first to be sure it doesn’t end up hurting your material.

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much Jennifer! That info is so helpful!
                          Thank you all for the advice!

It was hard to convince my honey that the cat didn’t need to be declawed. It got kind of nasty between us. I was about to kick him out for the cat! <.<
                          But because of all your advice and articles I convinced him otherwise.

We are going to get some kitty clippers today and some chicken breast to cook up as a treat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.