fbpx

Not sure if someone would like to know, dishonest dealer

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Not sure if someone would like to know, dishonest dealer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Lupuslunae
    Participant

I am not sure if this is something you all at Windstone would like to know about, however I thought it best to share my experience just in case. I was at Megacon in Orlando, Florida today and was pleased and surprised to see a dealer on the floor with a few Windstone dragons because I can’t remember the last time I found a Windstone from a dealer and not an antique or consignment place. He has some golds, an old green, a PYO keeper and phoenix painted already, a white, a curled copper patina and curled color shift emerald, and a few others. The dealer’s space was called Imagine that Galleries. I stopped by to talk shop and compliment his pretty PYOs. He told me that the PYOs were very rare and one of a kind since they were done by one of Melody’s top painters, a Michelle (he had no last name) and then went on about the curled dragons that are “collector’s editions” with only 100 ever made. I explained to him about copper patinas coming into the online store when Windstone had pieces with a few defects and that color shift was limited production and could be made again. He got a little irate and tried to tell me off and I was cosplaying as my sassy princess Grell so I didn’t stick around to argue further with an old dude. Like I said, just thought you should know if in fact Imagine That Galleries is one of your regular dealers.

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

You gotta love people who think we are idiots and will swallow whatever they will throw at us to make us buy something. Especially collectors. (as if we don’ t know WHAT we are collecting? I find most of the time we know much more then the sellers do, LOL!)

Working retail, the best way to sell something is to first know what you’re selling and be honest. Some people will try anything to make a buck. I say, if you want to maximize your sales on something it’s best to do your research.

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Setsunawolf
        Participant

There’s a guy at GenCon who does the same thing. He’ll claim pieces that are not retired are and hike up the prices. He’ll also claim he spoke to Melody personally about some of his claims. He’s been there for a few years. I tend to avoid him because he’s unpleasant. I feel bad for the people who do pay way more a price than it’s worth though. But Con goers usually pay a hike up on items because they are in a buying mentality. It’s there, they’re there, and it’s going home w/ them.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jennifer
          Keymaster

There’s a guy at GenCon who does the same thing. He’ll claim pieces that are not retired are and hike up the prices. He’ll also claim he spoke to Melody personally about some of his claims. He’s been there for a few years. I tend to avoid him because he’s unpleasant. I feel bad for the people who do pay way more a price than it’s worth though. But Con goers usually pay a hike up on items because they are in a buying mentality. It’s there, they’re there, and it’s going home w/ them.

Do you recall what his dealership was called?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Leigha
            Participant

There’s a guy at Acen who does the same thing. Claimed the purple dragons were limited and was generaly ignorant and unpleasant. He had a couple production pieces I would have bought if he wasn’t such a jerk.

Setsunawolf
              Participant

No, but I’m sure he’ll be there this year. I’ll keep and eye for him and get the name.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jennifer
                Keymaster

There’s a guy at Acen who does the same thing. Claimed the purple dragons were limited and was generaly ignorant and unpleasant. He had a couple production pieces I would have bought if he wasn’t such a jerk.

Do you recall who they were? If you don’t want to say here you can send me a message, no problem.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

No, but I’m sure he’ll be there this year. I’ll keep and eye for him and get the name.

No problem. If they are an official dealer, I’m sure John might like to know about their less than honest behavior.

Setsunawolf
                    Participant

No problem. If they are an official dealer, I’m sure John might like to know about their less than honest behavior.

He claims he’s an official dealer every year at the Con. I don’t know whether he’s lying or not…I just know he’s ripping people off. he had a male sunset griffin there last year or the year before (I can’t remember) for maybe $450. Claimed it was a limited run, and Windstone wasn’t going to make anymore.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

WolfenMachine
                      Participant

Wow…Drag0n I agree with you completely. When calling around trying to find old stock of retired pieces, I ran into a LOT of dealers who made these crazy claims and tried to talk to me like I was stupid when I corrected them.

There is/was a seller on ebay asking SUPER inflated prices for production pieces. $600 for a black gold lap dragon? I think not.

Leigha
                        Participant

Same here, it’s in May though.

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

If any of you have a dealer that seems to be intentionally misleading you or other customers — be it at a convention or elsewhere, please make note of what they are called. You can send it to me or John. If they are legitimate dealers, I’m sure John would want to know. I understand that we might have to wait until you go to a convention next to find out.

drag0nfeathers
                            Participant

I rememeber the first time I saw a Ruby dragon (a ruby Lap to be percise) the seller led me to believe it was *a rare paint scheme that escaped the factory and worth thousands* This was MANY years ago when Rubies FIRST came out and I just hadn’t seen them before.

Got a busted Windstone?
                              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                              Siphlophis Male Dragon
                              Calypso Hatching Empress
                              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                              Tattoo Mother Kirin
                              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

SilverDragon
                              Participant

I rememeber the first time I saw a Ruby dragon (a ruby Lap to be percise) the seller led me to believe it was *a rare paint scheme that escaped the factory and worth thousands* This was MANY years ago when Rubies FIRST came out and I just hadn’t seen them before.

I had the same thing happen to me years ago when the Ruby color first came out. I was at a convention and this vendor had a few of those and some peacocks. He was explaining to me that the ruby is a rare color and is already retired. Suuuuuure lol! Trying to charge me over $300 for a mother dragon. Crazy. I didn’t buy of course!

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
                                Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

Trava
                                Participant

I bought a Ruby Old Warrior at a convention many years ago. (GenCon) The seller made some outrageous claims and I paid too much for him, but he was that really deep/rich red that was SO unstable that windstone discontinued… and I just loved the color. I keep him in a very shady spot. It bothered me then, because he didn’t mention the instability issues at all, or the special care requirements. I knew because of the forum, but other buyers might not have… He’s probably the same guy Setsunawolf already mentioned, but I’ll keep an eye out for him this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.