My Sweet FurBaby

Home Forums Miscellany Community My Sweet FurBaby

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dragoneer_88
    Participant

I had to put down my old sweet furbaby, BabyGirl today. She was in so much pain. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do in my life. She was my first dog, the best dog ever, and the sweetest little girl. She gave me many years of joy. She will be greatly missed, but always loved. Be at peace now with the other dog guardians. I love you, sweet Babygirl.

Natasha
      Participant

I’m so sorry you have lost your sweet pooch. It is so hard to put them down, but when they are suffering it is the kind thing to do. I’m glad you were able to make so many happy memories with her. Big Hugs.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
        ANY Red Eyed Unis
        ANY Test Paint Bat
        UNIS:
        The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
        Male- Snow Leopard TP
        White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
        Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
        Mother: Okapi
        Gothic - Mahogany
        PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
        DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Mary
        Participant

Awww…..So sorry to hear that.  One of the most difficult things to do is to lose a loved pet.  She’ll be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

Ela_Hara
          Participant

So So Sorry! It’s always a difficult decision – even if you believe you are prepared.

Hugs!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Zeppard Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

StormDancer
            Participant

I am so sorry for you loss. I have had to let several furbabies go on without me over the years. It never does get any easier to say goodbye.

Hard as it is, sometimes saying goodbye and letting them go is the greatest gift you can give them. Remember the happy times with her and know that she will always be there with you in your heart.

I’m sure several have already seen this poem, but it is one that has always helped me a bit when I had to say goodbye to a furbaby…

The Rainbow Bridge ( inspired by a Norse legend)

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
              Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
              Where the friends of man and woman do run,
              When their time on earth is over and done.
              For here, between this world and the next,
              Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
              On this golden land, they wait and they play,
              Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
              No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
              For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
              Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
              Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
              They romp through the grass, without even a care,
              Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
              All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
              Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
              For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
              Together again, both person and pet.
              So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
              The time of their parting is over at last.
              The sadness they felt while they were apart,
              Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
              They embrace with a love that will last forever,
              And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Hugs

Looking for:
              "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Dragoneer_88
              Participant

Thanks everyone. I know several people here have been through the same thing and some recently. I know you guys will understand the pain. Some people are like, “Big deal. It’s just a dog”. Funny how they say that until it’s their dog. Anyway, she was a fighter but had so many health problems. I felt no amount pills could help her anymore and I could no longer afford it. The vet felt the same way. Even if I could afford it, it wouldn’t have mattered. She was in such bad shape. I feel so awful, like I did something wrong and gave up on her. I know the truth though. She was in bad shape and I couldn’t be selfish and keep her here. She had heart failure, cancer, was almost blind, she recently went deaf, and she had begun developing another bladder and ear infection. Loosing her happened so fast. I had the option to not be in the room with her, but there was no way I would leave her. It was tough to watch the process. It takes a lot courage to see it. I wanted her to know I would be with her to the end. I hope now, she’s with my mom and comfortable. I want her back with me. I had hoped she would have passed away in her sleep, at home. She had such a will to live and seemed like she didn’t want to let go. I had to stop her pain. It’s a horrible nightmare. Tomorrow, will be worse. I take some comfort that she’s not suffering now.

StormDancer
                Participant

Dragoneer I truly understand your pain. Being a vet tech I have actually held all of my furbabies veins off for the vet just so I could be there holding them  til the very end. I even did so for my Stallion. I always felt that they had given me their entire love and devotion for however many years I had them. To me that means the very least I could do was be there for them thru it all and not to leave them with strangers.

I do understand that for many people that is to hard for them to see. It does take incredible courage and I deeply respect your needing to be there so she wasn’t alone during her last minutes here.

You did nothing wrong. Do not feel guilty. You loved and cared for her her entire life. You gave her the hardest gift you can, the understanding to know when there just isn’t anything else you can do and the strength to let her go.

You are right the next few days are going to be very difficult. All I can say is that eventually the memories you have of her will bring you some comfort and peace. And at some point those memories will begin to make you smile as you recall all the happy times you had together.

For now just remember that she is no longer in any pain. And of course she is with your Mom and they are both watching over you.

Looking for:

Dragoneer_88
                  Participant

Thanks again for the kind words everyone, especially you StormDancer. I needed them today. It’s strange the night before I had a dream she was locked in a hot car, panting and I broke the glass and rescued here. I guess the hot car in my dream was symbolic of her spirit being trapped in her failing body and me freeing her today. I would NEVER leave a dog or person in a hot car, I must say. I wish everyone and their furbabies the best. Cherish every moment.

GardenNinja
                    Participant

I have to echo what Natasha said. Animals don’t understand death, they only understand pain. When there is no chance of recovery, letting them go is the kindest thing. I have not allowed any of my pets to go through the final suffering that would come from a “natural” death.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Kim
                      Blocked

Sorry to hear that Dragoneer_88.  I have been through that too losing believed pets and it’s always hard.  Hopefully you can rescue another dog in the future if you would like to when you are ready and save another life in your dog’s memory.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

dragonmedley
                        Participant

Oh, I’m so sorry! Big hugs to you.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Bodine
                          Participant

I’m sorry for your pain.I know it all too well.I don’t think words can help but our hearts are with you all the same.Hugz😢

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Dragoneer_88
                            Participant

How do you work through the loss of a beloved pet? This is desroying me. The last few years of my life I dedicated to making sure my sickly, elderly dog was taken care of before I left the house and when I left house all I could think about was getting back to her. My whole schedule was worked around her. She was always there for me even when my own blood wasn’t. She was my best and only friend since my human friends abandon me long ago haven gotten married and had kids. I went to college instead and apparently that was a mistake and a waste of time, but that’s another story. My dad and sister don’t seem to care she’s gone and they’re annoyed I cry every day and still talk about how much I miss her. It’s only been a week. I mentioned considering getting another dog to ease the pain…my sister calls in a frenzy and rants about how I shouldn’t get another because I don’t have the finances. It’s true my babygirl was sick and very costly but a healthy dog won’t cost as much to take care of as my sweet babygirl did ($200 a month, heart pills and food). Even so, I was able to make sure my dog had everything she needed and then some. It’s not my sister’s decision and a new dog has no impact on her life…it’s not like she lives with me, so I don’t know why she cares. In times of great sadness you find out just how unthoughtful and seemingly uncaring family can be. I feel more alone than ever.

I should mention it would be awhile before I could get another dog. I want one similar to my babygirl. That’s almost impossible where I live.

And I apologize for “airing dirty laundry” to stangers. On the other hand, it seems like a common practice these days. Just a kind word is nice to read. Sometimes a crying emoji is not enough.

StormDancer
                              Participant

Grief is not on a schedule. It takes as long as it takes. What most people don’t understand is that it can be a 7 year process, not 7 days. Take the time that you need. Cry when you need to and always keep in mind that you did the kindest thing you could  by letting her go before her suffering got worse.

Take some deep breaths and acknowledge that,  yes she is gone,  then try to remember the things she did that made you smile. It is going to hurt for a while, but trying to remember the good will eventually start to help. There is no time limit on how long it will take. Grief is different for us all.

As for getting another dog, that too is entirely up to you and when you feel ready, your family has no say in your decision since they don’t live with you.

For me getting a new dog fairly quickly has always helped. Learning the new dogs different quirks and habits or teaching a new puppy the rules helps me to start to let go of the pain. I personally am partial to the Boerboel breed so when I had to let Dara go back in January I was looking for another right away. I spent months waiting for one to come available in a rescue. What ended up happening is I came across a 9 month old Cane Corso puppy who needed a stable home and so a bit over 2 weeks ago I went and got her. She is a wonderful addition to my fur baby family and I am learning to appreciate another breed of dog.

So if you do want another, keep your heart open, you never know what form the next angel in disguise is going to come to you in.

Hugs, it will get better.

Looking for:

GardenNinja
                                Participant

Dragoneer,
                                  Nobody gets to choose their family, only their friends. Sometimes, it is best to turn to your friends, and set your family aside. Hopefully, you won’t need to do that long term, but if all they are doing is dragging you down, you need to take care of yourself now. If you need to cry, you can do that here for as long as you need to. I had to cut my oldest brother out of my life for almost a decade. There is no law you have to associate with people who belittle you, even if you are related to them.

Take as long as you need. Consider volunteering at a local shelter or rescue. You may find you are ready to bring a new furbaby into your life sooner than you expected.

Take care of yourself.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.