my hubby is on the porch catching opossums!

Home Forums Miscellany Community my hubby is on the porch catching opossums!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lokie
    Participant

Eleu wrote:

Aww, I couldn’t personally kill an animal-especially if I had it trapped and fed it for a week! I’d have them named by day 2! ๐Ÿ˜†

Ditto.

I have some baby possum photos from a couple summers ago. I’ll have to see if I can dig the photos up; I thought they were adorable ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll post them elsewhere as this thread is going the direction of eating them ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜†

bayoudragon
      Participant

OK, first… baby possums are actually really, really cute. I got to baby-sit some that were being rehabbed. So cute! ๐Ÿ˜€

Second… I actually talked to someone today who has tried possum. Sorry, Lokie… She had it fried (little strips), and it actually did not taste like chicken. She said it tasted like pork. I guess it really is the other white meat. ๐Ÿ˜† The texture is very similar to fried alligator… but I guess that example doesn’t really help you guys any. LOL. The best description I can give is that it would be “fatty”, and if you overcook it, it gets “rubbery”.

So endeth the Cajun cooking lesson. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Maria
        Participant

I haven’t found edible alligator anywhere yet, either, but thanks for the info, bayoudragon! ๐Ÿ˜€

Pegasi1978
          Participant

Yeah baby possums can be really cute, but they have to watch out for swimming pools. My dad was on his backporch once and noticed something moving in the swimming pool. He looked closer and realized it was a young possum, so he grabbed a pole with a net and scooped the poor thing out…it was trying to tread water near the skimmers and slowly losing the battle against the current. He took it to the back of the yard near the trees and gently turned it out of the net. The possum sat there panting for the longest time.

He’d already had to fish a dead one out of the bottom of the pool before this happened.

wolflodge100
            Participant

Well, it looks like there are 8 all together. The dogs killed 2, we caught 5 and there is still one on the porch. Seems no one around here wants them so I geuss I will raise them until they are bigger and then release them down by the creek. I’m just not hungry enough to try eating them XD

Katherine
              Participant

wolflodge100 wrote:

Well, it looks like there are 8 all together. The dogs killed 2, we caught 5 and there is still one on the porch. Seems no one around here wants them so I geuss I will raise them until they are bigger and then release them down by the creek. I’m just not hungry enough to try eating them XD

lol-icky. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.