my hubby is on the porch catching opossums!

Home Forums Miscellany Community my hubby is on the porch catching opossums!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wolflodge100
    Participant

Haha, sounds like a country song. He has caught 5 of the little buggers so far! πŸ˜†

wolflodge100
      Participant

Maria
        Participant

What’s he going to do with them? Are they edible?

wolflodge100
          Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

well, I guess SOME people eat them…… He is putting them in a cage as he catches them, I’ll probably call the wildlife rehab people tomorrow. They are kinda cute but they sure do hiss! πŸ˜†

dragonmedley
            Participant

I think they’re cute in their scruffy way. They’re a problem for you? Here we hardly see them.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

bayoudragon
              Participant

Hate to say it… but some people down here still eat them. :puke:

Did y’all have a nest or something?
                My DIL had one as a pet growing up. They fed it dog food and some of their dogs would sleep under the porch with it πŸ˜€

lamortefille
                Participant

Possums are so ugly, they’re cute! πŸ˜€ Hopefully, they’ll be released far from people that want to make pie out of them. πŸ˜†

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

The only possums we used to have our dogs would leave for us as presents in the morning.

LadyFirebird
                    Participant

I sometimes see a opossum or two around my neighborhood, but it wouldn’t be long before they ended up as road kill! And they weren’t play possum! πŸ™

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

Devil’s advocate here, but what’s wrong with eating possum?

Do be careful though with the ones you catch, sadly rabies is something to always be aware of in any wild mammal.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

bayoudragon
                        Participant

The only thing I was told is that you must purge them first. Cage them for a week or so and feed them things like fruit. Possums will eat a lot of nasty things like carrion and garbage, so you need to clean the “icky” out of their systems first. Technically, you don’t have to… but I heard it’s much better this way, and that the meat is really white.

Don’t quote me on this though, I’ve never had it… πŸ˜† Nutria, on the other hand, now that is really tasty! :yum:

Amanda
                          Participant

Aww, I couldn’t personally kill an animal-especially if I had it trapped and fed it for a week! I’d have them named by day 2! πŸ˜†

Maria
                            Participant

bayoudragon wrote:

The only thing I was told is that you must purge them first. Cage them for a week or so and feed them things like fruit. Possums will eat a lot of nasty things like carrion and garbage, so you need to clean the “icky” out of their systems first. Technically, you don’t have to… but I heard it’s much better this way, and that the meat is really white.

I had something in the back of my mind about them being nasty(-tasting) critters, but we don’t have possums here and I don’t know much about them. I’d be curious to know how they taste, though. 😳

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Those were my first questions! LOL XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.