Moving (again) and other random stuff

Home Forums Miscellany Community Moving (again) and other random stuff

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Adaneth
    Participant

Glad to hear it wasn’t as bad as that scary estimate! πŸ™‚ Hope the rest of the unpacking goes smoothly.

dragonmedley
      Participant

Tyrrlin wrote:

I’m still planning on getting rid of stuff, especially if it’s in a box I haven’t opened in two moves (and there are a few of those in the pile).

That’s a great way to go about it. Same thing if it’s clothes or whatever that you haven’t taken out of the closet/cupboard in a year. I’ve been stashing some clothes I really like in case I can fit in them one day. Then I realized that even if I did fit in them now, I’d never wear them! Same with some books: will you read them again? My husband likes to keep some of his reference books from university. We’re never going to consult them and by the time our daughter goes to school, they’ll be outdated. Same thing with those highschool projects I kept… what the hell for? I never look at them or anything. I was really proud of them in my time, but really, looking back now? Well, they kinda suck…

So, big encouraging hugs!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Tyrrlin
        Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

Tyrrlin wrote:

I’m still planning on getting rid of stuff, especially if it’s in a box I haven’t opened in two moves (and there are a few of those in the pile).

That’s a great way to go about it. Same thing if it’s clothes or whatever that you haven’t taken out of the closet/cupboard in a year. I’ve been stashing some clothes I really like in case I can fit in them one day. Then I realized that even if I did fit in them now, I’d never wear them! Same with some books: will you read them again? My husband likes to keep some of his reference books from university. We’re never going to consult them and by the time our daughter goes to school, they’ll be outdated. Same thing with those highschool projects I kept… what the hell for? I never look at them or anything. I was really proud of them in my time, but really, looking back now? Well, they kinda suck…

*hugs back* Well, Mom and Dad came down to help out this weekend, and they (well, mom mostly) helped me get rid of three boxes of stuff as well as a punch bowl set, card table, and kneeling chair. *whews* I’m glad they came down, becuase a fair amount of the *stuff* was things from other relatives and they were able to nudge me in the direction of “oh, this came from a yard sale” or “your grandfather made this with his own hands”. I feel so guilty getting rid of something if it’s in the second category, but everything I *did* get rid of was firmly in the first…. I just wasn’t aware of it. πŸ™‚

Windstone collector in remission. πŸ˜‰

siberakh1
          Participant

Tyrrlin wrote:

dragonmedley wrote:

Tyrrlin wrote:

*hugs back* Well, Mom and Dad came down to help out this weekend, and they (well, mom mostly) helped me get rid of three boxes of stuff as well as a punch bowl set, card table, and kneeling chair. *whews* I’m glad they came down, becuase a fair amount of the *stuff* was things from other relatives and they were able to nudge me in the direction of “oh, this came from a yard sale” or “your grandfather made this with his own hands”. I feel so guilty getting rid of something if it’s in the second category, but everything I *did* get rid of was firmly in the first…. I just wasn’t aware of it. πŸ™‚

That’s excellent. πŸ™‚ Yeah, my mom has given me the history on some things I had, so I didn’t feel so bad about clearing some things out. When I took everything out of the storage shed I had and moved it in, I went through many of the boxes that needed sorting and threw out SOOOOOOO much unsorted paperwork that I had no need of any more (I literally had boxes of paperwork from college!). I went through my closet and got rid of clothing that wasn’t needed (old/worn was thrown out or given to dad for rags in the garage, nice stuff was donated to good will). It was nice to weed out. I get to weed things out a bit more when I move my stuff into my new room (whenever we actually finish the three rooms we are doing upstairs).

Maria
            Participant

From your blog, it sounds like you’re settling in all right, Tyrrlin. It also sounds like you’ve got a good-sized apartment. I bet for someone who’s changed addresses many times arranging a new interior is kind of bore, but isn’t it kind of fun at the same time?

Tyrrlin
              Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

From your blog, it sounds like you’re settling in all right, Tyrrlin. It also sounds like you’ve got a good-sized apartment. I bet for someone who’s changed addresses many times arranging a new interior is kind of bore, but isn’t it kind of fun at the same time?

Hee, thank you!

Yeah, it’s a pretty spacious apartment, which was one major consideration. It IS kinda neat when you move, as you get an idea of how to rearrange everything in a new space. The two things about this place which are challenging are the smaller kitchen (it’s less than half the size of my last place) and the lack of in-apartment laundry. I’m getting a good workout traipsing up and down three flights of stairs to do one load of laundry! (not to mention the washer and dryer are coin operated, yuk)

Now I just need to get my paperwork settled (yay for the government! πŸ˜› ) and I can start work!

Windstone collector in remission. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.