fbpx

Meet Koda!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Meet Koda!!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Nina
    Participant

thanks everyone!

LOL yeah we read up for well over a year on the type of dog we wanted so we where aware of the huskies love for running & pulling. And their crazy shedding ^_^

In TX it gets very hot so Koda is an indoor dog, he only does outside to use the bathroom & play (when it’s not too hot) and is always supervised.

when I ran my non-profit rescue I rescues a few husky wolf hybrids and had a husky shepherd mix as a kid. But this is my first full blood husky. We either wanted a puppy or an adult from a rescue. We went with the puppy so it could be raised around our birds & not see them as prey.

LOL yeah the eyeliner thing ^_^ my husband said he looks like a little “goth” dog with his white face & black eyeliner & black lips LOL

I knew huskies where smart but wow this dog amazes me. He’s 9 weeks old & we already have him house broken, kennel trained & he knows how to sit, shake & lay down. We’re now working on leash training & rolling over 😉

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Just a note– huskies can have a very, very strong prey drive! Not all do, of course… but all of the ones I’ve met have. Even our Jenna, raised with careful training from a pup, views my birds as something to kill. I don’t live with my folks anymore (she’s their dog) but it was never something that went away and I could never, never have my birds loose in the same room as her. Just so you are careful! Even one second of ‘play’ can kill a bird.

Not trying to be negative, but on my parrot forums/groups I see a sad number of beloved pet birds die every year due to dog accidents… even from trustworthy dogs and people that thought they were being extra careful.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Carolyn
        Participant

My part husky did that once . Grabbed a bird in flight . She attacked would go after my cat too . She learned cats are not toys or prey . Oh she loved squeeky toys .

Nina
          Participant

Yeah I know most dogs have a high prey drive. After doing a lot of research it seamed like females where worst than males, maybe just something I’ve noticed but I talked to a ton of husky owners before we got Koda & females seamed to always have a higher prey drive & be more protective. So one of the reasons we went with a male.

On a side note a robin landed in the yard today right by Koda & he just looked at it & went back to what he was doing. Now no I will never have him unattended around our birds because yes I’ve heard the sad stories and even was give a bird because the last owners dogs saw in as a toy.

With Koda so fare so good, he doesn’t even seam to care about the birds. Even our African grey flew of her perch & Koda wasn’t phased or even looked up. With that said my birds are also fully flighted so they can flay away if (and hopefully this will never happen) Koda does go toward them.

I second what Jen and Sasha advised. I wouldn’t ever leave him unattended with the birds. Things can happen so fast. I had a shepherd mix and a parakeet that had coexisted for years with lots of interaction between both. Then, one day Dolly decided to divebomb Lady and she grabbed her by the wing. The result was a broken wing, which was set, but I think shortened her life. It’s just part of their nature. Just make it safe by taking temptation out of the equation for him.

It sounds like you are a good momma who is thinking out all the angles. Enjoy your new baby! They grow so fast!

Nina
            Participant

yeah we’ve pretty much decided that when the birds are out Koda will be in his kennel. Which works out because he loves nothing more than to lay in his kennel with a good chew toy LOL. And Koda is not allowed in the bird room (yes my birds have their own room ^_^) Because I don’t want him freaking out the lovebirds & smaller birds.

Now if I could just get my savannah cat to play with him everything would be great. But YouKai just looks at him and hisses or gets up on something so Koda can’t get to him. Funny that my cat is bigger than the puppy LOL but not for long.

Nina
              Participant

Oh she loved squeeky toys .

Yup no squeaky toys for Koda. They sound like hurt animals 🙁 So they can actually make a prey drive stronger in a dog, also avoiding toys that look anything like birds or fuzzy animals. Koda only gets rope toys LOL don’t want him thinking the things I make are toys either LOL It was hard not to buy the cute plush dragon dog toy but then my husband pointed out he’ll then think things I make are toys because he’ll associate the two ;P

Carolyn
                Participant

My dogs favorite was a yellow baseball bat I found in the snow . I cleaned it and gave it to her . She just loved the squeek . Warning too they might like it but it can drive you nuts .

darjeb
                  Participant

What an adorable baby

darjeb
                    Participant

What an adorable baby

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.