fbpx

Matched Sets/Groups/Families?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Matched Sets/Groups/Families?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Angelika_Zen
    Participant

Just different enough 🙂

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Ela_Hara
      Participant

HaHa! Mine are all over the map…
        I like certain colors or color combinations on sculpts I like or feel that the color scheme looks good on a sculpt I like or love. The key for me is that ‘Wow’ factor – does it hit me right and can I see it in my collection. I’ve had to downsize too, so that ‘Wow’ factor is much more important and what I consider before I sell/give away a piece. For example, at one point I had 28 Curled Dragons, now they are down to 17 (only 17?!?) of the ones I really, really like/love. I may want to sell two or three more in the future, but not yet.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Stephanie
        Participant

Yeah, that’s been my question.  “Do I /really/ love this, or have I just gotten used to having it around?”  Answering that question has allowed me to sell a few things, and trade some for things I really do love!

Also asking, “If I had to get rid of one of these…” and mentally ordering them from most loved to least loved.

pipsxlch
          Participant

My collection is all the old greens, and where they weren’t made, emerald. I replaced emerald pieces with old green for the few limited production old green pieces. The only exceptions are the spectrals, they’re both peacock. In my mind they’re a different genus from the others and nocturnal to explain it (and their eyes). I’m supposed to only allow myself Western dragons and no doubles, but I’ve ended up with all the hatching dinos and 2 each of the old warrior and lap. I justify them by saying I collect of model dinos, and that my mom could have the ruby lap. With the o.w.s, one is a prototype so they are technically different.

I had a few other pieces, but sold them off. One problem of a smaller collection is that everything I have is a favorite! I’ve regretted selling a few pieces (and even moreso not getting a few others when I could have), and am grateful my family told me no way should I sell the others when things were tight and I considered it.

A benefit of a smaller collection is that they don’t take up too much space in storage, especially since you don’t have to double box (if you don’t shift them much) and can get away with multiples in a box, especially with small compactly shaped pieces like the old hatcher. And like someone else pointed out, they’re easy to cut into other collections/displays. I can see one peeking over the edge of a teacup! It really does sound like you’re not truly wanting to sell, Stephanie, so I would advise not doing so.

Stephanie
            Participant

Yes.  I’ve been cutting my collection down to only my favorites as well.  I love the prototype old warriors!  They are so neat looking.

Which do you regret?  I only have one seller’s remorse piece.  When I first started collecting I found an emerald sun dragon at a local store.  He’d been there for years and was covered in dust.  I was so excited to find him!  The folks at the store were thrilled to see him finally have a home.  I resold him and didn’t make much profit.  Not worth it.  Every time I drive past that store (it’s not even the same store anymore) I have a pang of regret.

No, I’m definitely not ready to sell them.  I’m grateful for everyone’s thoughts, as it’s really helped me realize that I’m not ready.  Maybe some day I will be, but I’m not right now.

Samwise
              Participant

I started out as a color collector. I’ve only been collecting for a few years since seeing my first Windstone piece. Figures I’d fall in love with copper patina! Needless to say, I’m doing some venturing outside of that color and have little hope of ever completing my CP dragon family. We’ll see!! I’d jump on yours given the opportunity. 😉

I second what others have said. If you’re not ready to part with them, definitely don’t. I’m in a situation where all my Windstones are hidden away in their boxes as I don’t have a place to display them right now. I’m still ordering them, take them out of their boxes and admire them, take photos, then say my apologies as I pack them back up again to be stowed. :'( I’m sure looking forward to having a dragon room!

Stephanie
                Participant

CP is an amazing color!  We have a few pieces, other than the hatcher.  A sun dragon and a male griffin.  The color is really a great one, for sure!  I love how they’re all a little different.

I always say sorry too, and give them a little kiss before I pack them away.  XD  Some day!  Some day we can display everything again!

Nightcrow
                  Participant

Haha, I know that feeling, Samwise!  Welcome to the club of “but I only MEANT to get X.”  😀

I started out as a color collector, too.  Now I have almost every Western dragon in White, but after a while I branched out and developed a Conga line (one sculpt in multiple colors)… then PYOs came out and I love painting so I had to have several of those… and then Pebbles happened and now I have a fox conga and a cougar conga…  and now my collection is hard to describe except for “kinda large.”  😀  I’m trying hard to keep it to the lines/groups I have, but when the Pebble Dragon came out I couldn’t quite resist picking one of them up.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Stephanie
                    Participant

lol!  “Kinda large” is a good description for my collection too.  It’s all over the place.  Gargoyles, PYOs, orientals, males, mothers, curlies, pebbles, kirins, unicorns, wizards, poads…even a lucky llama and an armadillo.  Old ones, new ones, production, grab bag, limited edition, test paints…yeah.

I couldn’t resist a pebble dragon either.  I just love them!

Nightcrow
                      Participant

Yay, I’m not alone!  Haha.  Yeah, I started with “Western Dragons in White” (originally excluding Spectrals, but I changed my mind eventually) and then I added “Oriental Dragons in Peacock” and after that I branched out to “Griffins in fantasy colors” and then I added “Griffins in natural colors” and then PYO Griffins and Kitty Griffins (plus a PYO Dragon & Keeper pair, and a Winged Wolf, and a Kitsune).  And of course there’s the Lap Dragon Conga and the Old Warrior Conga and the Color Shift Cougar Conga and the “Sitting Red Foxes in natural colors” conga.  At some point I added a Kirin family, which later became a mixed-natural-color Kirin extended family.  Plus a couple of bookends, a Frog Prince, two Mouse Wizards, a Gothic Uni (even though I swore there wouldn’t be any non-Kirin hoofers in my collection, this one, uh, doesn’t count?), an oddball Pebble Fennec who will certainly gain some friends when the GB Fantasy Fennecs come out, and the so-far-lone Pebble Dragon.

I think that’s it? I was so strongly tempted to get one of the GB Lady Cats when they appeared, but managed to resist.  By which I mean, I missed the release and managed to refrain from buying/trading for one.  🙂

Fun fact: I had to edit this comment three times before posting, because I’d forgotten entire groups.  At this point it’s hard to remember the order they came in, aside from the White Westerns being first, and I’d skip over steps in the growth of the collection and then remember abruptly “oh, yeah, I also have Kirins” and have to fix my list!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Stephanie
                        Participant

Oh yeah, I have griffins too, lol!  I forgot.  >.>

Yeah, “Kinda large” is a good description for my collection.  It started with wolves and hatchers, and expanded from there to males, mothers, then more hatchers, then some griffins, then a gothic uni (but I don’t have him anymore), and then unicorns when grab bags came out.  PYOs too.  Then I participated in a lot of grab bags across all the sculpts, so that really expanded things.  I’ve shrunk my collection considerably in the last few years, but still have plenty.  A mouse wizard I found when visiting my cousin, a wizard I gave a permanent home to…lots of “random” pieces.

It’s fun to look back at my old Windstone pictures to see how the collection has changed over time.  Oh yeah, I have a set of bears too.

Here’s a terrible picture from 2012 of some of my collection.  I think I still have all of those, except for 5.  **Two are repaints, sorry**

pipsxlch
                          Participant

I regret selling the frog wizard- he looks so p.o.’ed- and the white emperor I got to resell. I got a fair bit for him, and already had my old green emp, and don’t collect white… but man he was gorgeous.

Even more I regret not bidding on my grail old warrior (he’s posted in that thread), I remember when he was up but had just gotten another old warrior, which doesn’t fit as well as he would. Almost as much I regret not getting the rock dragons, I actually had my hands on the big one once, decided to save a bit more instead of using a credit card, went back to the store a few months later and the store was no longer there. I was royally ticked with myself then!

Stephanie
                            Participant

Aww.  Yeah, that regret really sucks!  I had a few pieces I wanted from a store, but when I went back they had closed too. Not fair! 😂

Zexious
                              Participant

To answer the original question, and as someone with a tiny (read: haphazard xD) collection, I have no real desire to get complete sets. I’d rather dabble in a little bit of everything, but I do get the appeal.

You’ve gone to the “trouble” (not the right word, but I can’t think of one more suited!) to acquire them all, and I think they do still bring you some happiness 😉

LZ
                                Participant

“Effort.” Time and energy spent that is not necessarily negative.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.