fbpx

Magweno Art Dolls

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Magweno Art Dolls

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Skylover
    Participant

I got Helaku today! She’s just awesome! You know, even though I saw all the pictures with the different poses, I didn’t realize just how flexible these guys were until I got to play with mine. I don’t have anything quite like it, and it is just too cool.

scenceable
      Participant

Hahaha Mum’s are crazy like that, my Mum does that when I show her other people’s art. Then she starts comparing it to mine even if it’s like an incredibly realistic digital portrait, or an oil painting of mountains, something really out of my comfort zone, she’ll say “you could do that” when there’s no way on the planet I could ever do that haha

I think I might have told you the story about my dad and Tariana but I can’t remember.

He always rants about using mohair on my sculptures, he says it looks stupid, makes them into dolls not sculptures, cheapens them, and “if they were all clay guys would buy them too”. He was over at my place on time looking at my shelves and was ranting about the fur. And, having just got Tariana in the mail, I’m like “well what about this one, it’s all textile”, and handed it to him. He said something like “yeah, this is what I mean, the fur on this one-” and then stopped, looked at it for a few seconds more, and said “wait, no, this is really cool. This is awesome. Why don’t you make things like this? The fur on this one works well.”

But then he added that the green feathers look weird. Which I replied that I asked for them. And he said “yeah you would. *head shake*”

My mom does what yours does, too. I can’t show her anything, it’s always “yours are better, just make your own”. I can never get an honest opinion from her. That’s where my brother is super helpful. He’s one of those people who gives his honest opinion to everyone about everything, whether they ask or not. “What’s going on with this horse? It’s ears are lopsided! It looks stupid, fix it! Ok, I’m coming back in 5 minutes and if its ears still look like that I’m smashing it.”

We can’t even take him to the grocery store because he screams at everyone who buys bottled water or plastic grocery bags XD

Anyway, yeah, it will be interesting to have Nox arrive at my mom’s in the midst of this. Been a few months since I’ve seen everyone. πŸ˜›

I got Helaku today! She’s just awesome! You know, even though I saw all the pictures with the different poses, I didn’t realize just how flexible these guys were until I got to play with mine. I don’t have anything quite like it, and it is just too cool.

Gleeee! That’s so awesome, I’m glad you like her. It is hard selling something so interactive in a photo-based market so word of mouth is super important. I can harp on about how bendy they are all I like but it won’t hit home until someone else with one comments on it too, or you get to see one in person. And a lot of people are scared to play with them so I’m glad you have been! I try to wrap them into crazy shapes when I package them so when they arrive the new owner is forced to bend them hehe
        Anyway I’m glad she got there safe πŸ™‚

@Scenceable
        Yea you did tell me that story once haha! I love the mohair on your sculpts, it really makes them quintessentially Quequinox ^_^ Aha my Mum yells at me for not doing things properly too, I always have her going through my head when I’m making dolls, “no do that properly! sew smaller stitches! if a job’s worth doing it’s worth doing right!”

Skylover
        Participant

Heh, I think my eyes popped out of my head when I saw how she was folded when she arrived. I think that really drove the point home. I wish I had taken a picture, but at that point, I just wanted to play a little.

Leigha
          Participant

Waaaaaaaaaaaant!!

Do you have a commission list I could get on?

Ohh gosh Leigha! I’m so sorry I didn’t see your comment until now! Yes I do, I can put you on it if you like but I have 40 other people on it at the moment so it’ll be some months before I get to you.

Here’s my latest doll, a swallow gryphon! He was going to be for trade but he turned out below my selling standards but way above my keep-for-myself standards so I’m a little torn. Maybe some day I’ll let him go but not now. πŸ™‚ He has real swallow feathers for tail and wings (from some poor dead starved birds I found in a clock tower) and his wings fold like a real birds do

Rachel
            Participant

Ohh gosh Leigha! I’m so sorry I didn’t see your comment until now! Yes I do, I can put you on it if you like but I have 40 other people on it at the moment so it’ll be some months before I get to you.

Here’s my latest doll, a swallow gryphon! He was going to be for trade but he turned out below my selling standards but way above my keep-for-myself standards so I’m a little torn. Maybe some day I’ll let him go but not now. πŸ™‚ He has real swallow feathers for tail and wings (from some poor dead starved birds I found in a clock tower) and his wings fold like a real birds do

*grabby hands!* He’s beautiful. When I was a kid, I lived on a farm. There was a barn (full of barn swallows) and a power line that went from a power pole to the barn, where all the swallows would sit and chatter. I LOVED them. One day, I was out playing in the driveway and I found one upside down on the ground, his head folded underneath him. I picked him up and was surprised when he moved. He must have been unconscious because when I tipped him upright, he awakened and sat very calmly in my hand–they have such beautiful eyes–I opened my hands and he sat for a bit before flying away. It was so cool. I will always have a soft spot for them. This is such a great looking griffin and like no other griffin I’ve seen. Good job!

That’s such a lovely story, my biology teacher used to fascinate me with similar stories of birds flying into windows and then coming to life again just with the warmth of her cupped hands. I love when swallows sit and chatter away to each other, they are such lovely little birds.

I forgot to show this one back in the festive season, John commissioned me to make a doll for Melody as a Christmas present from him to her! Here’s what I came up with:

I used all my best materials at the time, peacock feathers I collected from a wildlife park, pheasant feathers sent to me by a friend, the softest fur I have which was a gift from someone on DeviantArt… I tried my best and had great fun with it.

Adaneth
              Participant

That’s just adorable! Thanks for sharing photos. πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
                Participant

Very cute! *Lucky Melody!*

twindragonsmum πŸ™‚

tdm

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.