fbpx

Magic Invisible Paint??

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Magic Invisible Paint??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

Hello Miss Melody,

I was wondering… what exactly IS the “magic invisible paint”? I know it’s an automotive paint, but what is the name of it? What’s it called in the stores? I’ve been looking into it and can’t find it because I lack the actual name of the product πŸ˜†

Thanks!

Kujacker
      Participant

siberakh1
        Participant

Not sure of the name of it, but it is highly unlikely you will find it ready made in a paint or automotive store. It’s a specialty paint that either has to be specially ordered and/or specially mixed. If you go to an autobody shop (not just a parts store), they should be able to order some for you, or at least point you in the direction of someone who can. It’s pretty expensive paint and only really used for custom stuff, so not something that a shop would normally keep in stock. If it’s not something already mixed, I’m betting it’s a powder added to a clearcoat. A lot of speciality paints, like color shift effects paints (ie. paints that change color depending on the angle you look at them, like green to red, silver to gold, blue to purple) are done this way, applied in multiple coats over a base. I know the Matrix FX paints work this way at least.

Kujacker
          Participant

Oh yes, I know it would have to be special ordered and it wouldn’t be cheap. But I still wondered. No one in the automotive store here knows what it is. Well, they have a very good idea what it is but I don’t want to tell them yes when I don’t know if it is what they think it is πŸ™‚

Melody
            Keymaster

It is made by the Prizmacoat company. Our bottle just has a product number on it, no name.
              Yes, expensive! But they sell it in little bottles and spray cans.

frozendragon
              Participant

Melody wrote:

It is made by the Prizmacoat company. Our bottle just has a product number on it, no name.
                Yes, expensive! But they sell it in little bottles and spray cans.

there’s one we were going to get for the PYO’s until we found out it was over $350 per qt….

decided we didn’t want to play with that….

Maebnus
                Participant

Prizmacoat’s awesome! I’ve seen a few vehicles with it in the paint. The spray cans run about $40 though… eesh. God, and it’d be sweet to have that on the PYO I’m gonna attempt (I probably would if I had actual skill).

I’d love to see a special piece with “Retro-Glow” additive in the paint. It glows in the dark!

Participant

Maebnus3 wrote:

I’d love to see a special piece with “Retro-Glow” additive in the paint. It glows in the dark!

That would look neat on a phoenix PYO.

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

SilverArrow wrote:

Maebnus3 wrote:

Or, as antiquing on a dragon, so it looked like he was glowing from between his scales… πŸ™‚

Darn it! I need to stop giving all my cool ideas away! πŸ˜†

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

frozendragon
                      Participant

Nambroth wrote:

SilverArrow wrote:

Maebnus3 wrote:

Or, as antiquing on a dragon, so it looked like he was glowing from between his scales… πŸ™‚

Darn it! I need to stop giving all my cool ideas away! πŸ˜†

hmm I should have tried that one the glow in the dark ones I did….instead of painting all the scale spines….what was a pain in the butt…

Melody
                        Keymaster

Save your money. The prizmacoat paint doesn’t show up at all under normal indoor light. It only works well outside in the sun.

KoishiiKitty
                          Participant

there is also this paint called Chameleon paint that is not invisible, but literally changes complete colors depending on the angle you view an object at, if any one is interested in that too.

frozendragon
                            Participant

KoishiiKitty wrote:

there is also this paint called Chameleon paint that is not invisible, but literally changes complete colors depending on the angle you view an object at, if any one is interested in that too.

that’s the one we looked at….and it was way too expensive to be practical….

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

Most of these paints are wildly expensive and just aren’t worth it unless you really feel the need to make really special pieces! πŸ˜‰

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Purplecat
                                Participant

MMMMMmmmmmm….preeetty….If only they looked like the advertisement pics when they were done. I have no willpower when it comes to fun paints…I’ll probably end up getting some glow in the dark paint as soon as I have money again, maybe not that brand, but I’ve definately got to try that out! πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.