Low Carb Recipes Wanted!

Home Forums Miscellany Food Low Carb Recipes Wanted!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Riversgrace
    Participant

Hey y’all! Some of you know that I had Lula 3 months ago…and to date I have lost 45 pounds (started dieting Jan 15th)…BUT I want to lose more! I have talked with some friends on facebook, and at work and found lots of new tasty low carb dishes that way. I thought I would ask here! If someone would like some of mine I would love to swap too!!!!

Adaneth
      Participant

Congrats on the fabulous weight loss! ๐Ÿ™‚

You might want to move this thread to the ‘Food’ subform so it doesn’t get buried too quick.

Riversgrace
        Participant

Congrats on the fabulous weight loss! ๐Ÿ™‚

You might want to move this thread to the ‘Food’ subform so it doesn’t get buried too quick.

Thanks Adaneth! I forgot there was a section for food! lol

WolfenMachine
          Participant

Yeah, 45 pounds since Jan. 15th is AMAZING! I’m trying to lose 30 by the end of May for my cousin’s wedding….that and I’m unhappy with myself. ๐Ÿ˜› Do you just diet, or diet+excercise. If you do exercise, what kind do you do? *has pen and paper, ready for answers* ๐Ÿ™‚

Riversgrace
            Participant

OMg Wolfen, I could talk about it for DAYS…lol I do mostly dieting, but excersize is great all the way around. Keep in mind though if you build muscle it weighs more than fat, so you won’t see results on a scale, you will see them in a tape measure…either way its all good for you ๐Ÿ™‚ If you want specifics PM me though. I run the top side weight loss program for the Navy in my squadron, and would be happy to set you up with stuff!

LadyFirebird
              Participant

I have the usual problem of will-power. I can be good for a few days and then I want some of those forbidden goodies. It’s hard when you’re older. I could drop a good 25 pounds–maybe in my dreams.

WolfenMachine
                Participant

Well, thanks to RiversGrace, I’ve lost 10 pounds! I was 165 2 weekends ago. I started last Monday, so that’s 8 days. Now I’m at 155. It fluctuates, but this is the lowest Ive seen the scale in a long time. I found this site today while looking for dinner ideas

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125868

This recipe sounds good and I think I will be making it tonight
                  http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128546
                  Garlic Lime Chicken.

I switched to unsweetened almond milk when I was craving milk. Its nasty stuff, but if you add some splenda to it, its tolerable. Silk Vanilla is indeed yummy but carb wise, its almost the same as milk. Almond flour is supposed to be low carb too. Ive looked at one groccery store and didn’t find it. Going to check another store today. I might check the big fancy HEB this week. If you have a sweet tooth like me (or sweet teeth, rather LOL) look up low carb diabetic dessert recipes. There is also a sweetner called Erythritol that is supposed to be okay for diabetics and Atkins dieters. Its about $7/$8 a pound, but from what I understand, it lasts longer than regular sugar and it can be baked with. Supposedly it is absorbed in the lower intestine and occurs naturally in some fruits. I think you could probably only buy it online, but I havent looked into that very much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol

I am trying to get back down to 130 or 125 in time for my cousin’s wedding in May. I’m shooting for April, because that is probably when the bridesmaid dreses are going to be tailored and altered. woot!

Riversgrace
                  Participant

You have no idea how proud I am of you Wolfen!!!! 10 pounds is a great acomplishment!!!! Keep going strong!!!!!! Hugs!!!!

Scathach
                    Participant

If you want pasta but don’t want carbs, try Shiritaki noodles. I’m in Canada and we can get them in some health food stores, the higher end grocery stores – maybe Whole Foods. We also have a couple fo retail stores called, surprisingly, “Low Carb Canada” They have lots of goodies, such as the noodles, treats, chips made with beans (that tase a bit like nachos), sauces, jams, etc.

Congrats on your weight loss., too!

Life is beautiful.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

Try doing some searches for “Primal” diets and recipes– there is real science behind it, and it’s all about eating real, whole, healthy foods instead of the processed stuff that takes up most of our modern grocery store. This makes it inherently lower carbs– especially when looking at modern wheats.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

WolfenMachine
                        Participant

Try doing some searches for “Primal” diets and recipes– there is real science behind it, and it’s all about eating real, whole, healthy foods instead of the processed stuff that takes up most of our modern grocery store. This makes it inherently lower carbs– especially when looking at modern wheats.

Jennifer, I totally believe you! I have a friend who is (well hes a guy and guys are naturally thinner than women) skin and bones…Im always telling that boy to eat a cheezeburger or something (heheh)but he eats a lot. And he eats delicious things too. I asked him what his secret was once, and he said….

no processed foods (no partially hydrogenated anything, no high fructose corn syrup, no or little as possible artificial sweetners) whole grains, complex carbs (these have longer carbon chains, and therefore don’t turn directly to sugar, and your body works off some of the carbs just trying to digest them since they are harder to break down than simple carbs/sugars) and cardio. (anything really but he loved swimming)

I tried it for 2 weeks and felt a ton better already! I didnt have a scale to weigh myself, and I didn’t have the support and motivation I do now, so I dont know if I lost any weight that way, but it is a good way to eat and live a healthy lifestyle.

I am down to 151 today!! ๐Ÿ˜€ whoo hoo! It is a hard diet to follow for someone like me who *ADORES* pasta, rice, cake/cookies, soda, sweet tea and cereal, but there are alternatives. The key to doing Atkins/low carb (for me) is not to be too hard on yourself if you DO have ice cream or a slice of birthday cake or some lasagna. Its not the end of the world! You just have to make yourself eat better and stick to the diet the next 6 days (I allow myself 2 cheat days a week to eat whatever I want).

Although it feels good to eat those foods that are delicious but bad for you (my current favorite is mini chicken corndogs *drool*) the feeling you get from eating any food is less awesome than the feeling of stepping on the scale and seeing a smaller number. If you need to get motivated, contact RiversGrace. She gave me a peptalk that has kept me motivated! She is a normal person like everyone else here and if she can do it, so can I! And so can you!

Riversgrace
                          Participant

Thats great Wolfen! To date I have lost a total of 55 pounds! I am nearing my goal weigh so I can start to slack off and eat a few more carbs. Its been wonderful this time and I feel amazingly healthy!

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Though whole grains are better than processed wheat products, they too can be a bit misleading. If you want to keep grains in your diet, the best grains are the old ones– the ones that we have not massively modified. Modern wheat is the worst of the lot, even whole wheat– dwarf wheats are not at all healthy to eat in quantity. Here’s an article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html
                              (the only thing I disagree with in this article is the implication that ‘gluten free’ is somehow a fad– celiac’s disease is very real, and very serious for people that have a gluten intolerance)

The best grains are the ‘ancient’ grains… the ones that people have been eating for centuries and centuries. Sadly, none of our current mass-produced wheats fall into this category! It’s impossible to find bread in my area that doesn’t have wheat flour in it, so we have taken to making our own bread with other grains. It’s easier than it sounds!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Wampus Dragon
                              Participant

Someone find me a way to diet properly that still includes tacos…. >.> I havent figured that one out yet!

Laurie
                                Participant

yep, me too. I live on tacos and burritos, with beans. ๐Ÿ˜‰

edit: way to go, Wampus. Had to run out and get lettuce, onion, tomato, avocado. Had burger (venison) seasoning, tortillas, refried beans, cheese, jalapinos, sour cream and salsa. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So much for Wolfen and River’s diets. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.