Lost one of my Guinea pigs.

Home Forums Miscellany Community Lost one of my Guinea pigs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Megan
    Participant

Virgil passed away last night after a short (and I do mean short) battle with an unknown neurological problem. Less than a week ago she began having seizures when she was picked up. That passed quickly, but I made a vet appointment anyway. Yesterday, the day of the vet visit, she ate nothing all day but the antibiotics the doctor gave her via syringe. By yesterday evening she could barely walk. By last night she could hardly move. This morning she was gone.

I’m reminded all over again why I vowed not to have any more Guineas after my little pal Rodney passed years and years ago πŸ˜₯ They’re so small and fragile. Once they get in a rut like that it’s almost impossible to pull them out of it. Virgil was only a year and a half old. Even though she was always smaller and thinner, kind of a runt, she was always happy and active and I had expected to have her around for at least double that amount of time…

What really breaks my heart is that Dante keeps looking for her little sis. She’s running around the cage, whistling for her right now. She even turned the plastic igloo over trying to find Virgil. They’ve been together most of their lives, so I’m sure she doesn’t understand what’s going on. Wish I could explain the circle of life to a Guinea pig πŸ˜₯

Sorry, guys. This is a really negative post for me, but I feel a little better now. It’s been stressful lately and losing Virgil like that just kind of took the cake. Thank you for listening.

Megan
      Participant

Adaneth
        Participant

πŸ™ It’s always tough losing them. I’m very sorry for your loss. Feel free to vent here–many of us have been through similar things, sad to say.

dragonmedley
          Participant

I’m so sorry, Megani! Furry friends have such a short lifespan compared to us, it’s so hard. And they don’t understand when they lose a companion, either. You can’t explain it to the ones left behind, and that hurts even more.

Big hugs!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Megan
            Participant

Thank you guys. I’m glad so many people here are animal lovers. Sharing with people who know how you feel always helps.

Here’s a picture I took of Virgil about two weeks ago, when they were both happily popcorning around the backyard in their playpen. She was a sweetie with a lot of personality in that tiny package. I’m really going to miss her.

Bob

I’m SOOO sorry the lose of a pet is always VERY difficult

HUGZZZZZZZ!! (will that help??

twindragonsmum
                Participant

Oh Megani, I’m so sorry! Losing a “family member” is always hard {{HUGS}}

twindragonsmum

tdm

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

She looks like she was a sweetie; she looked smart, too! I’m sorry she died, megani, but remember you gave her a good year and a half of life. *many hugs*

Lokie
                    Participant

Such a cutie. I’m so sorry πŸ™

I’m so sorry. *hugs*

Guinea pigs are very special little guys. But you are right – they can be so fragile. You did everything you could for her – she was lucky to have you.

Skigod377
                      Participant

Im sorry about your little piggy. They sure dont live long enough but its even worse when you are not expecting it. πŸ™ Are you going to get a companion for Dante? Or is it too soon?

lamortefille
                        Participant

She was adorable! I’m sorry for your loss. πŸ˜₯ *hugs*

Megan
                          Participant

Thank you, everyone. Your warm thoughts help a lot.

I’ve been giving Dante lots of love and attention today. I let her out to play around my room but all she did was make her “come here!” whistle and run everywhere looking for Virgil. Poor girl. She’s having some timothy hay now while I do housework. Makes it easier to concentrate on something else.

Ski, I’m seriously thinking I might have to get another Guinea, if only for Dante’s sake. I hadn’t planned on it but it is just too sad seeing Dante like this. It’ll have to wait a few weeks though. I can’t imagine getting another one sooner than that. Sigh. πŸ™

Jasmine
                            Participant

I’m so sorry Megani.

Skigod377
                              Participant

I know how that feels. I tried to get another rabbit to replace Princess, but there is just no replacing her. πŸ™ Im truly sorry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.