fbpx

Living (Where and why?)

Home Forums Miscellany Community Living (Where and why?)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Born and raised for the most part in NJ–started out in northern NJ–not far from Newton, as a matter of fact; and have been steadily working my way further south through the state over the years, it seems. I think NJ has some very beautiful places, although most people don’t realize it; they’re getting to be less and less these days. I think the politicians here won’t be happy until the entire state is paved over….
    But I. Absolutely. Hate. It. Here. We seem to get the worst of a lot of things: very high taxes, lots and LOTS of people (a lot of whom can be very unpleasant to deal with….), very hot and humid summers, very cold and snowy winters, both seasons subject to extreme swings without warning, depending upon which weather God we’ve cheezed off for the day/season, and frankly, the only things that keep me here right now is my husband’s job–He’s got 37+ years with the same company–unheard of in this day and age–and the other thing is the real estate market. We *need* to be able to sell this place and come up with enough money to either have no mortgage, or a very small mortgage for the place we bought in Kentucky a few years back, and I am chomping at the bit, waiting for the day when I can put this crowded, dirty state in my rear view mirror for good, and light out for the Bluegrass. I’m lucky in my choice of work (water and wastewater treatment) in that my licenses from this state carry reciprocity in a lot of others, and since my current job pays less than I was making on unemployment (how sad is that by the way), I figure I probably won’t be taking too much of a major pay cut when we finally do move out to KY. The really ironic thing for me, anyway, is that things down there are actually more convenient than a lot of things here. The food stores and gas stations are actually closer to our place down there, and we’ll have natural gas and city water–neither of which do we have here. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ But the area there is *ALL* farms, there is very little suburban sprawl, and the people we’ve met there are a HELL of a lot nicer than a lot of people we’ve met here. And at least they don’t appear to be trying to pave their entire state over. ๐Ÿ˜›

foxfeather wrote:

I’ve thought about moving east for work but the thought of huge cities like Toronto scares me.

We made our first trip to Ontario this September and i can fully agree with you on this! That city is crazy, I thought we had crazy drivers in Fort McMurray but man alive the ones in Toronto are worse!

LadyFirebird
    Participant

I keep coming back to this thread because I want to move away myself some day. I lived all my life in California–San Francisco Bay area to be exact. There is a lot to like about this area–moderate weather and everything is very convenient. But it is getting crowded and quite frankly, I want to get away from all the memories. I’ve been in this same place for over 30 years and a lot has changed–my husband has been gone for 10 years and although there are wonderful memories of our lives together here, I find I’m ready to move on–experience something new. Only problem is I’m getting older and wouldn’t move to a complete rural area. Need to be close to doctors and hospitals! I don’t know where my ‘dream’ place will be and it may never be. What keeps me here is the convenience and the moderate weather [don’t like the earthquakes but then every place has its drawbacks].

Kujacker
      Participant

LadyFirebird wrote:

I keep coming back to this thread because I want to move away myself some day. I lived all my life in California–San Francisco Bay area to be exact.

My dad wants to move back to the San Diego area. The rest of my family use to think it’s because everyone he knows from his childhood still lives there. But who knows. I know I don’t want to live in California. Although I have several friends there, and my mother’s entire side of the family is there (including my grandmother, whom I wish I could see more often) I just don’t want to be there. I don’t want to be in the same mile stretch of traffic for an hour (omfg why) and the weather is not much different from here. I like visiting, but even if ferrets were allowed there, I wouldn’t go there. The same way Washington is “calling” me, California is going “don’t ever come here”. Not any sort of attractant (besides my grandmother and the Japanese Mitsuwa market lol).

Wheeheeheee we have snow! Which is the very reason I love and hate Alberta. It’s cold as heck, but the snow is pretty and oh so much fun! And I hate the heat more then I hate cold (only so many layers you can remove without getting arrested, but you can always put on another layer).

That and it’s gorgeous country in Northern Alberta. I miss seeing stars at night though. If Colin (the fiancee) gets a permanent contract in Cold Lake, I will move up there no problem. City life just isn’t for me. I need to see the stars, and I need the night to be dark. Nothing more peaceful then a walk at midnight in the middle of December, where it’s just you, the trees, the animals (if there are any), the crunch of snow under your boots, and the stars.

siberakh1
        Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

City life just isn’t for me. I need to see the stars, and I need the night to be dark. Nothing more peaceful then a walk at midnight in the middle of December, where it’s just you, the trees, the animals (if there are any), the crunch of snow under your boots, and the stars.

I second! I’ll take snow and winter over sweltering heat any day! :yes:

Me three!

Dragon87, we lived in Bonneyville for a short while, went to Cold Lake often, its very nice!

Kathleen
          Participant

Ahhhhhhh Dragon87 I have lived up north (Fort McMurray) and now live in a rural area just outside Edmonton. I HATE winter lol I have animals I feel so bad for them being outside ๐Ÿ™ I have hung heat lamps and tried so hard to keep them warm plus heading out early in the morning and late at night to constanltly change their water (so they have water not ice) I want summer to come back. I think that if I had no animals outside to face the cold I would love winter. (if I didnt have to ever go outside) XD
            I still remember our -40 last winter I pray THAT never comes back. I lost some animals when that happened ๐Ÿ˜ฅ my power went out because some dummy ran into our power line and they died over the night while I slept. Sorry but I think winter is a cruel punishment (pretty) but cruel ๐Ÿ™‚ sorry I was just feeling bad for myself I just came inside for the night and saw this post lol
            If you ever feel like it Dragon87 come visit and help me feed the livestock ๐Ÿ˜† we dont live far from each other ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS what does your fiance do? maybe my husband can give him a job in Fort Mac and you can have tons of winter lol ๐Ÿ™‚ I have seen the most beautiful northern lights living there.

Born and raised an army brat, so i got to experience several states and Germany a couple times. Dad retired and when I could I joined the army myself to go see a couple more states. Then ended up working as an OTR (Over The Road) trucker for almost a decade. Been to/through all 48 continental states, Canada, and Mexico. Spent my honeymoon in Hawaii. So that leaves one state, Alaska, and I’m working on that one. ๐Ÿ˜€

I live in WV, and somehow it’s the place I always come back to. All my family is here, so even through my dad’s career we always came back here for holidays and to see family. When he retired we moved back permanently and I finished school here, then got the wanderlust bug and did my thing.

I’m at a point in my life where I could take it or leave it. I’d really, really love to move out west, Wyoming or Montana. But I have to convince hubby that the winters aren’t THAT bad out there and that the other seasons make up for it. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a job that means we can pick up and move just anywhere and he can find work. He’s a Nuclear Pharmacist which is a bit specialized, and has been with his current company for better than 10 years now. They do have labs in other states (one in Wyoming even.. hint hint honey!), but he likes it here. His family is in MA., and I think a lot of it too has to do with him not wanting to be any further away from them than he already is.

So yeah. I’m bored to death of this place. And apparently we’re not moving any time in the foreseeable future. I’ll have to make do with yearly vacations. ๐Ÿ™

JellyFish wrote:

PS what does your fiance do? maybe my husband can give him a job in Fort Mac and you can have tons of winter lol ๐Ÿ™‚ I have seen the most beautiful northern lights living there.

Snicker I tried to get her to move here already, LOL.

Elena
            Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

Wheeheeheee we have snow! Which is the very reason I love and hate Alberta. It’s cold as heck, but the snow is pretty and oh so much fun! And I hate the heat more then I hate cold (only so many layers you can remove without getting arrested, but you can always put on another layer).

That and it’s gorgeous country in Northern Alberta. I miss seeing stars at night though. If Colin (the fiancee) gets a permanent contract in Cold Lake, I will move up there no problem. City life just isn’t for me. I need to see the stars, and I need the night to be dark. Nothing more peaceful then a walk at midnight in the middle of December, where it’s just you, the trees, the animals (if there are any), the crunch of snow under your boots, and the stars.

Ah yes… the first major snowfall of the season… ๐Ÿ™‚ The cold doesn’t bother me that much, you can always add more layers, even if you end up resembling a walking snowman ๐Ÿ˜› , and by the time I get tired of the cold, a Chinnok will roll in ๐Ÿ˜€ . I agree with you on the heat, high twenties is about as warm as I can stand. ๐Ÿ˜€
              Of course with the snow comes all the stupid drivers who have forgotten how to drive in the stuff and the people who don’t shovel their sidewalks, but it also means everything is so pretty, especially now that the Christmas lights as being turned on and the LEDs that don’t melt the snow glow so pretty when they are buried, And it’s time for Outdoor ice skating and tobogganing! There were several groups of kids out on the hills in my neighborhood last night and the dog likes to roll on the hard packed snow.
              I can see the stars from my place (inner city), not as well as outside the city, but at least I can see them. And sometimes we get Northern Lights that we can see in the city as well. I love when that happens ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow, there are alot of Northern Albertans here. I feel kinda left out being the only Southerner….

Lupin
              Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

Want to know what we found absolutely Amazing!
                You get the stars back out here in St. Albert!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                Seriously. I’m so close to Edmonton I can’t tell where they become one or the other (I think it’s the other side of our Fence) & it’s sooooooooo Much darker & the stars are sooooooooooo much brighter.

So do you also like that drastic temperature change?
                That so does not make me happy!!
                I’m not enjoying the cold anymore, I’ve definitely become a “Winter Wuss”, so much for coming from the Subarctic Mountain range. I keep thinking if it wasn’t for the Anti-Ferret & Earthquakes Cali appeals to me, & even then it’s more the Earthquakes. As in they keep speculating that any one is going to take the entire State into the ocean. Wonder how that would affect the Climate of the states that are currently not right on the coast? Yeah the weirdest things cross my mind.

Andrea
                Participant

I must say, I love the Bay Area… BUT… If it weren’t for the extraordinary wages here, I think I would choose to live in Oregon somewhere… Somewhere that doesn’t rain 100% of the time and no snow… Somewhere close to the WS Factory ๐Ÿ˜€

JellyFish wrote:

I still remember our -40 last winter I pray THAT never comes back. I lost some animals when that happened ๐Ÿ˜ฅ my power went out because some dummy ran into our power line and they died over the night while I slept. Sorry but I think winter is a cruel punishment (pretty) but cruel ๐Ÿ™‚ sorry I was just feeling bad for myself I just came inside for the night and saw this post lol
                  If you ever feel like it Dragon87 come visit and help me feed the livestock ๐Ÿ˜† we dont live far from each other ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m sorry to hear about your animals, yes winter can be a cruel mistress (but so can summer, many many animals die every year from heat related issues – like cars). Actually apparently the year my brother was born, my parents had no heat in their trailer (they were in Wabasca I believe) and they made my brother a little cave to keep him warm (and alive, for that matter).

I think I’d be useless feeding livestock! No, really, I tried helping a friend once, she never asked again! ๐Ÿ˜†

And Colin’s a teacher… you’d have more luck getting *me* a job in Fort Mac (I’m a chem tech). I tried… sort of. No one interviewed me, even. And I remember from living in Valleyview that you could get some FANTASTIC Northern Lights up north. Kinda miss those.

And no, Lupin, I prefer a gradual change. That sudden drop we had last(?) week was awful! My joints hurt, my finger hurt (I had surgery on the tendon when someone cut it, and major temp changes bothers it), I felt old. ๐Ÿ˜† But I still like the snow. Brings back memories of tunneling in snowdrifts! ๐Ÿ˜€

Lupin
                  Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

And no, Lupin, I prefer a gradual change. That sudden drop we had last(?) week was awful! My joints hurt, my finger hurt (I had surgery on the tendon when someone cut it, and major temp changes bothers it), I felt old. ๐Ÿ˜† But I still like the snow. Brings back memories of tunneling in snowdrifts! ๐Ÿ˜€ [/color]

Too bad the snowsuits are so expensive now hunh?
                    & I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels real old come the cold!!

JellyFish- my Male, son, & I might be persuaded to come help you out some weekends. ๐Ÿ˜‰ especially since I know my Boy’s are willing to go & help out another friend with a “Farm/Ranch” about an hour or more away from the city. We’d probably have to bring my Mom since our Daughter is still to Tiny to actually help in more of a way than be a distraction for oh at least another 10 months. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.