fbpx

Lets Show Melody Our Halloween Costumes ^_^

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Lets Show Melody Our Halloween Costumes ^_^

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

Melody wrote:

Zelda wrote:

This is what I wore this year (and have pretty much every year since I made it in 2005 :))

We have a Halloween event at the museum I work for every year, and this dragon always gets lots of attention! I call it a good day if I don’t end up with little kids crying or running away scared, since it’s not particularly friendly-looking, but the kids that run up and give me a big hug are the best! With “How To Train Your Dragon” being such a hit this year, I got more attention than usual. Another one of my friends dressed as a viking, so we went well together!Oh wow… how did the hind legs work?

Those are probably digitigrade padding like the legs on my Kyuubi fox suit are. You have to add padding to the top of your upper leg and then padding on the backs of your lower legs and then work the costume material around them to make them look more “animalistic” mine aren’t as drastic looking as the dragon but on the same idea. They look hard to walk in, but it’s actually pretty easy. It feel like walking in sand sort of with all the extra padding in the way restricting normal movement. It’s sort of fun though, like you get to be a real monster for a day. 😀 I get really “feral” ( I think that’s what fursuitters call it) and will totally get into character and slink around and act all animal like and freak out people. It’s so much fun!

I’ve seen some CRAZY ones before that use stilts! SO COOL!

I totally want a pair!

http://www.wetacollectors.com/images/wetalegs2.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/stilt%20digitigrade%20legs/Luxferre/legs.jpg

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kujacker
      Participant

Eh, when I see those they look weird. At least the woman and video of her did. They legs looked so out of proportion.

machineguts
        Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

Was the paint acrylic by any chance? Used that in some theatre productions exactly for that reason… it comes off easily with water – used it on stage for skin that needs to be ‘pulled’ off or hang in shreds… the actor peels it part way but not all the way off 😮 :puke: :puke: Good stuff!

twindragonsmum :snappy: 😀

Yes the paint was acrylic based. 🙂

Melody wrote:

machineguts wrote:

Everyone has such awesome costumes! I uploaded mine on FB but forgot to post it here. Me as a Na’vi/Avatar. I airbrushed myself blue and painted the stripes & white dots by hand. Scott helped me airbrush my face, neck, and the back of my arms. The hat & tail were handmade by two different Etsy artists. It took a long time, total about 4 hours with drying time plus another trip to the art store to get more blue paint. I told Scott it was like painting a life size PYO LOL!

Everywhere we went people kept running up yelling Avatar! Avatar! It was fun, I especially enjoyed interacting with the kids. One little girl around 5 years old came up to me and said Hey! I have a little blue avatar kitty at home! LOL Oh my gosh! fantastic! How did you get that blue color off?

The blue paint removed easily with water and didn’t take near as long as I thought it would LOL! 😈

machineguts
          Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

I’ve seen some CRAZY ones before that use stilts! SO COOL!

I totally want a pair!

http://www.wetacollectors.com/images/wetalegs2.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/stilt%20digitigrade%20legs/Luxferre/legs.jpg

WHOA! 😮 I’ve never seen anything like that before!

Zelda
            Participant

Melody wrote:

Zelda wrote:

This is what I wore this year (and have pretty much every year since I made it in 2005 :))

We have a Halloween event at the museum I work for every year, and this dragon always gets lots of attention! I call it a good day if I don’t end up with little kids crying or running away scared, since it’s not particularly friendly-looking, but the kids that run up and give me a big hug are the best! With “How To Train Your Dragon” being such a hit this year, I got more attention than usual. Another one of my friends dressed as a viking, so we went well together!Oh wow… how did the hind legs work?

Sorry for taking my sweet time in replying! Anyway I’m standing almost straight up, just bent a little at the knee just to crouch and pose. But drag0nfeathers has it right, it’s a false digitigrade effect achieved by sticking a big wedge of padding on the front of my thigh, a slightly smaller wedge beneath my knee, and then a roughly triangular piece behind my calf for a fake ankle. I can stand straight up and walk normally and have this really cool slinking look because my legs look longer than they actually are. Plus all the leg padding is comfy if I decide to kneel down (it’s not easy to sit with that tail attached!). I love this costume, although it’s in need of a patching up so that I can make it lighter (most of the framework is thick copper wire, it’s heavy!).

Unfortunately as for those stilt legs, WETA decided not to produce them, due to not enough interest in preorders 🙁

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Melody
              Keymaster

Zelda wrote:

Melody wrote:

Zelda wrote:

Sorry for taking my sweet time in replying! Anyway I’m standing almost straight up, just bent a little at the knee just to crouch and pose. But drag0nfeathers has it right, it’s a false digitigrade effect achieved by sticking a big wedge of padding on the front of my thigh, a slightly smaller wedge beneath my knee, and then a roughly triangular piece behind my calf for a fake ankle. I can stand straight up and walk normally and have this really cool slinking look because my legs look longer than they actually are. Plus all the leg padding is comfy if I decide to kneel down (it’s not easy to sit with that tail attached!). I love this costume, although it’s in need of a patching up so that I can make it lighter (most of the framework is thick copper wire, it’s heavy!).

Unfortunately as for those stilt legs, WETA decided not to produce them, due to not enough interest in preorders 🙁 So.. your feet are flat on the floor? The dragons toes look so small!

Tiffany
                Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

That’s GREAT! The ‘tooney’ suit is wonderful for greeting kidlets… not quite so scary :yes: I’d like to learn how to make one – where did you get the info for creating one?

twindragonsmum 😀

awww thanks for liking him kujacker, twindragonsmum, drag0n! (sorry for taking sooo long to respond, but we had some scary computer issues here over the weekend and i just really got it up running again today) thankfully instructions on how to make these are readily available on the internet through forums/livejournal (kinda like here) where kindly folks share construction tips. i already knew how to sculpt (as that’s my thing) so i wanted to try a new medium in the form of costumes. i went over some of the tips found here http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=fursuit
                  to get the gist of it, then just experimented and found my way as i went. lots of trial and error, but the key is having the guts to try, take your time and being careful doing it, cuz i found it sometimes takes more time to fix a mistake than to totally start over! ugh!

also, awesome dragon suit zelda!! he is so expressive-with great legs, lol! i love the digi-grade legs and have been wanting to try my hand at making em for a bit, but i’ve been too chicken.>.<
                  awesome na’vi too machineguts! what an excellent paint job as it really looks like your skin!! that paint didn’t irritate your skin, or perhaps it was made for use on skin? my boyfriends’ buddy would make the best na’vi as he is wicked tall, as thin as a rail with the long dark hair and funky high cheekbones! oh my gosh it would be hilarious to paint him up…i thought about painting a bodysuit/leotard or something… but getting him to cooperate would be another matter…

Zelda
                  Participant

Melody wrote:

So.. your feet are flat on the floor? The dragons toes look so small!

Yup my feet are flat! I wanted to make the toes look small, or at least not too much larger than the fingers on the hands, so the divisions of the toes appear to run all the way along the foot, although in reality each toe is just a little chunk of foam sticking off the end of a shoe. The tops of the toes have slight ridges along them to make them stand out and not look like a bigger flat foot.

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Katherine
                    Participant

WOW! the fur suits and the dragon look awesome!!! Machinegutz, you make a beautiful nav’i! i love all of them!!

Melody
                      Keymaster

These are all amazing and great! (kids included).
                        So next question : What was your most favorite, or funniest Halloween costume that you ever wore?

PurpleTurtle
                        Participant

Melody wrote:

So next question : What was your most favorite, or funniest Halloween costume that you ever wore?

Well, for me it was a combo thing…
                          I had made a crow mask, kinda like shaman themed style. Well, my hubby joked since I was going as a crow, he should show up as roadkill. Gross, I know, but kinda funny to. So… I ended up throwing together a dead bunny costume. Complete with a dangling eye and squished guts. Mind you, it wasn’t that realistic – more cartoonish, but it still freaking hilarious.

drag0nfeathers
                          Participant

Melody wrote:

Well, this year was probably the most fun… although one year I dressed in this white vinyl nurse get up and that was pretty fun too! The funniest was (well, probably more just wrong then funny) one year I was a little school boy and my boyfriend dressed as a preist :spank:

Got a busted Windstone?
                            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                            Siphlophis Male Dragon
                            Calypso Hatching Empress
                            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                            Tattoo Mother Kirin
                            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

purpleturtle wrote:

Well, for me it was a combo thing…
                            I had made a crow mask, kinda like shaman themed style. Well, my hubby joked since I was going as a crow, he should show up as roadkill. Gross, I know, but kinda funny to. So… I ended up throwing together a dead bunny costume. Complete with a dangling eye and squished guts. Mind you, it wasn’t that realistic – more cartoonish, but it still freaking hilarious.

THAT is so funny! Would love to see pics!!

Elena
                            Participant

I have two favorites.
                              The First is when I dressed up as an Amazon/Pirate, Tan “Leather” Front Laced Bodice with nothing underneath, Black Leggings, Turquoise sash, whip, dagger (couldn’t get my mitts on a sword) and lots of jewelry. Best part was flooring all my friends (and their boyfriends) since I just don’t do sexy, tight stuff. XD
                              Second when I was Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I love the movie and dressed up as Belle in her blue village outfit. Even had a basket with a pile of books in it. Wore it to work one year and just *had* to make a stop at the disney store too XD Wore that one many times over the years.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.