fbpx

Just wondering…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Just wondering…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Stormbreeze
    Participant

Will the orientals be coming out in Autumn leaf as well as blue morpho?

[i]Keeping an eye out for fantasy gryphons and test paint dragons.[/i]

pony-up
      Participant

I don’t need a logo stamp on my standing baby Kirin. And red roan unicorns sounds awesome, though not sure how good they would look with the silver horns.

KaytanaPhoenix
        Participant

As for unicorn colors. What about dark rose pink with black mane and tail? Dark pink with black is a nice color combo.

The issues with unicorn colors: The mane and tails being a separate distinct color is much more difficult to paint. If the body color and mane/tail color are very different, the manes and tails need to be hand painted with a brush to make them look nice. I got away with airbrushing the m/ts on the Grullas, because the body color was similar, so a little overspray didn’t show too much.
          A color scheme with a lighter mane and tail is even more difficult. Light paint hand brushed over dark airbrushed paint looks yucky,unless you take a ton of time to do it.This is ok for ebay or special pieces, but not production.
          White, black, solid purple, and stuff like that, is best.
          Blue or red roan is a possibility, because roans are splotchy. Pintos are a possibility, though they require some stenciling … appaloosas maybe…

Ohh, I like the idea of a dark pink with black markings, what about a pink variation, more or less, on the grullas? Darker points to help the black mane/tail… I especially love the way the Silver Grullas manes/tails look where there is a lil bit of their body color faded into the manes/tails…

I like when there is depth, detail and contrast on a piece… I’m not huge on the white uni’s because there isn’t much there to make them stand out above all the rest, and well, I think any Windstone deserves to stand above the rest, the detail in the sculpt alone is remarkable, and I love when the paint on them accents that detail instead of downplays it…
          I have a white male uni, and the only time he stands above anything else in my collection, is when he is placed next to a stone finished gargoyle… but if I place him right next to my Silver Grulla male, it’s hard to tell they’re even the same sculpt, to a degree…
          Just my .02 anyway…

How hard would it be to do a LP run of lichen patterns? I’m assuming they’re a stencil for the most part? I know a ton of people would go straight gaga for those! Depending on the colors, I know I’d love em!

etruscan
          Participant

A few years ago Melody said that she had painted a “Palominto” [green palomino] unicorn. I’m still hoping to see that one some day. πŸ™‚

Melody
            Keymaster

Will the orientals be coming out in Autumn leaf as well as blue morpho?

Not at the moment…I am pretty sure all the castings we have( not a huge number) are being painted in Blue Morpho… but I will check . There are so many colors we could paint oriental style dragons in… it is hard to decide which to do. However, at the moment I am thinking about colors that will go well with silver horns, so that leaves out autumn leaf.
              I did paint a Autumn leaf unicorn, with silver details so she could have a silver horn, but that was a stretch.

Stormbreeze
              Participant

Okay, thank you so much for answering my question πŸ™‚ There’s always white nectarine of course.

[i]Keeping an eye out for fantasy gryphons and test paint dragons.[/i]

Melody
                Keymaster

A few years ago Melody said that she had painted a “Palominto” [green palomino] unicorn. I’m still hoping to see that one some day. πŸ™‚

I wonder where that one went? We must of sold it on ebay.

Melody
                  Keymaster

As for unicorn colors. What about dark rose pink with black mane and tail? Dark pink with black is a nice color combo.

The issues with unicorn colors: The mane and tails being a separate distinct color is much more difficult to paint. If the body color and mane/tail color are very different, the manes and tails need to be hand painted with a brush to make them look nice. I got away with airbrushing the m/ts on the Grullas, because the body color was similar, so a little overspray didn’t show too much.
                    A color scheme with a lighter mane and tail is even more difficult. Light paint hand brushed over dark airbrushed paint looks yucky,unless you take a ton of time to do it.This is ok for ebay or special pieces, but not production.
                    White, black, solid purple, and stuff like that, is best.
                    Blue or red roan is a possibility, because roans are splotchy. Pintos are a possibility, though they require some stenciling … appaloosas maybe…

Ohh, I like the idea of a dark pink with black markings, what about a pink variation, more or less, on the grullas? Darker points to help the black mane/tail… I especially love the way the Silver Grullas manes/tails look where there is a lil bit of their body color faded into the manes/tails…

I like when there is depth, detail and contrast on a piece… I’m not huge on the white uni’s because there isn’t much there to make them stand out above all the rest, and well, I think any Windstone deserves to stand above the rest, the detail in the sculpt alone is remarkable, and I love when the paint on them accents that detail instead of downplays it…
                    I have a white male uni, and the only time he stands above anything else in my collection, is when he is placed next to a stone finished gargoyle… but if I place him right next to my Silver Grulla male, it’s hard to tell they’re even the same sculpt, to a degree…
                    Just my .02 anyway…

How hard would it be to do a LP run of lichen patterns? I’m assuming they’re a stencil for the most part? I know a ton of people would go straight gaga for those! Depending on the colors, I know I’d love em!

The adult unicorns are difficult to paint in a fancy way. It is possible, but because of the complicated mane/body attachments, and the fat bodies, making stencils for them is really tough. This is because the stencils need to be constructed out of many parts to fit around the unicorn. This makes them hard to get off and on,too.

Pam

I wonder where that one went? We must of sold it on ebay.

I think it was turned into the one we called Fishbone.

KaytanaPhoenix
                      Participant

The adult unicorns are difficult to paint in a fancy way. It is possible, but because of the complicated mane/body attachments, and the fat bodies, making stencils for them is really tough. This is because the stencils need to be constructed out of many parts to fit around the unicorn. This makes them hard to get off and on,too.

Ahh that makes sense.. I had wondered a lil bit on how you do your stencils…
                        Maybe an ambitious project some day for ebay pieces then πŸ™‚

Prezaurian
                        Participant

Ah well, shame about the dark pink/black color combo (though that leaves it open to the PYO painters, woo!). But hey, you have to work with what’s feasible/economical. What about grulla pattern with pink and dark pink (or even dark purple instead of dark pink)? Though in that case you don’t even have to work with pink. Could do just about any color using the grulla markings. lol

dragonmedley
                          Participant

I don’t need a logo stamp on my standing baby Kirin.

Neither do I.

And a Snerl PYO? HECK YEAH!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Erika
                            Participant

I am trying to come up with new unicorn colors. I think plain snow white with silver horn and chain, and blue eyes. These are plain vanilla, but they are pretty and look different enough from the off-white color of the old “white” unicorns to be a new color.
                              I might try them in jet black with silver chain and horn too.

I test painted a few blue roan unicorns, but they look an awful lot like the “grulla” color.Maybe too close, though they would have silver horns.

I am test painting “Autumn leaf” again for the dragons. I would like to do that as a limited production color.

Oh please let the black unicorns have blue, or even that dark silver color for eyes instead of just brown. Brown eyes on black sculpts look a little creepy to me sometimes, like shark eyes. 0_0 I would love to get a black unicorn though! (I prefer the black over white, but the socks and blaze always killed it for me on the old ones so I’d be spazzed to see jet black unis come out πŸ˜€ Maybe one or two colors of interference paint on them in places just a little tiny bit, so they’re kind of irridescent? yeah? Yeah?

Also, I would LOVE to see the autumn leaf color from the September raffle griffin go production. SO pretty!

These are small sitting foxes. A grey fox and another red fox.

*Squee!* Red fox buddies!

Landipan
                              Participant

Will the new foxes you’re working on going to be pebble sized or bigger? Like the PYO Kitsune?

Very excited that we have more foxes to look forward to!

*Formerly meowmix101
                                Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Scathach
                                Participant

I’d like a Snerl PYO πŸ™‚ would he be about the size of the PYO wolf?

Please keep those pebbles coming! They’re cute and pretty easy on the pocketbook, too.

I think the standing KiRins should have a stamp. The copyright violations are bad enough when you do have a pad or stamp, but could be a bigger issue if there wasn’t anything.

Life is beautiful.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.