Jill’s PYOs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jillian
    Participant

I’ve been burnt out on social media for some time, but consider forums to be a step away from that fast-paced world- When I first shared my art online, it was in a forum format, and I miss this type of interaction a lot.

It’s not likely that I’ll be super active, but I’d at least like to share my journey as I explore the beautiful PYO figures made available to us by Melody and the Windstone crew. To start off my post, I’ll share one that’s nearly done-! This fella is being painted with Oceanic/Aqua vibes in mind, and I hope to add more figures themed after elements to fit the same idea.

The fur/hair is several layers of acrylic paints & mica powders. I mistakenly used an interference over it that required some reworking to better match the color-shift scales. Those are gilded with chameleon flakes and sealed in with high gloss acrylic. I am taking a break from working on this piece for now, while I gather the gumption to attempt to make his hair look like crashing waves, or at least lend itself to that idea. ^^ I hope y’all enjoy!

Member Type/Orientation: Chaotic Creative/ Occasional Freelance/40hrDayJob

Wishlisty~Old Warrior/Stone::Rising Spectral/Violet Flame::
      ANY Peacock or White~I only have a white fledgling and several white PYO ๐Ÿ˜… ::
      ** Matching pair of sun & moon oriental dragons**
      **test paint/Grab-bag ki-rin or gryphons**
      Grail: March 2023 raffle piece (a girl can dream!)

Jillian
      Participant

PYOkirinoceanic-1

Nooot sure if my attachment is working correctly. ^^;; (Sorry if this is a duplicate file or didn’t work at all)

ANY Peacock or White~I only have a white fledgling and several white PYO ๐Ÿ˜… ::

etruscan
        Participant

He’s coming along nicely!

dragonmedley
          Participant

He remind me of ceramic raku.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jillian
            Participant

Thank you, Etruscan! I’ve been enjoying poking at it between other painting projects. :]

[blockquote]He remind me of ceramic raku[/blockquote]

I had to look up what raku ceramics are and have no regrets- copper ones, in particular, are very pretty, too!

Jillian
              Participant

I’ve been playing around with alcohol ink on this hip’ & wanted to share a WIP. ^v^
                Pinks/purples are ink
                Blue/green is acrylic

22hippocampus

I absolutely had a fun simplified mash of spots that spelled out an underwater scene on the back side of the neck. This was before I discovered the violet alcohol ink was [i]too powerful[/i] when I went to deepen some of the pinks on its edge and things bled [i]everywhere[/i]. Lesson learned, I sealed up the inks with some matte finish and moved on to acrylic paint after since adequate drying time.

I wanted to shoot for a fantasy pinto for the fore and a koi pattern for the aft. I’m definitely letting the muse guide me here & plan to go on with some washes & hitting the base before deciding if the hip’ itself needs more detail in the markings or not. ^^;

Background Phoenix is in limboland. He gets to hang out on the mantle so he can stare me down while I debate what I want to do to move forward with’m.

Nightcrow
                Participant

The alcohol inks give such a cool effect! Too bad about the scene you had planned, but I feel sure you’ll do a great job with the fantasy pinto, too. Those colors look great on him!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Jillian
                  Participant

Thank you, Nightcrow. I’m still holding out hope that I can layer some acrylics to bring about that scene again… but we’ll see. :’) I had to set it down and let my attention be drawn to other things… like more pyo projects!

[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/yZ1Agx5.jpg[/img][/center]
                    As is tradition, I’m working on several pieces at the same time. The dragon here has a base of jacquard white pearl (mixed into an acrylic medium) and detailing added with alcohol ink. This experiment DID work in my favor, and with just a lil rubbing alcohol, the scales got some nice shading by fading the ink out from the scale base.

The blue kirin has had a lot more work done since this picture & I might be getting closer to finished with it. :>

The last kirin was based in matte black and then covered with interference gold. I really like how the green looks over it, and even better with a fade to blue. I can foresee giving it more attention in the near future.

[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/OwYGTNo.jpg[/img][/center]
                    This photo set focuses mostly on the snerl that I’ve been working with alcohol inks. I’m not sure if the tea staining base made any difference since I’ve just been layering… and then layering some more.

Additional teal to purple color shifting pigments were added to some of the ruff and secondary feathers, as well as some green/gold that needed it’s BAMF toned way the heck down. I’m not sure I’ve found a good balance between detail and colors yet. :<

In the background is a pyo ori that I’ve modified quite a bit. It’s a project piece that I’m testing my new airbrush on. I also got some fun holo pigment for scale accents that looks pretty smashing next to the blue and teal shades, imo.

Phew! I think that sums up the past few weeks worth of progress. I sat on sharing any kind of update for too long. ^^;
                    Blank glass cabs are coming, so I may take a stab at making some custom eyes to finish off some of these pieces.

Bodine
                    Participant

Love the Hip and Snerl.Both very unique.

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Jillian
                      Participant

Love the Hip and Snerl.Both very unique.

That’s super kind of you to say! The snerl definitely is speaking some kind of Atlantis theme to me- purely coincidental, but I like it! Might call it Lost Bahama. ^v^

Jillian
                        Participant

PSX_20230110_152626

Has anyone noticed this anomaly on their pyo figures? I’m guessing this is some kind of patch where the cast had a flaw. It didn’t want to soak up any of the base/tea stain I was attempting to use. Does anyone know what the material is or noticed similar on other pyo figures?

Just curious!

Mika
                          Participant

That’s the worst I’ve seen but I have had instances where there have been unstainable patches on a piece. Oddly enough they were also on the Oriental dragon.

Jillian
                            Participant

Even more curious! Was it in the same region, or elsewhere?

Mika
                              Participant

They were on random parts of the body like spots, and fairly small so I was able to hide them with paint.
                                The more recent PYO Orientals have had a higher rate of casting issues compared to other PYO sculpts.

Jillian
                                Participant

It’s got to be a problematic mold- the theory I’ve conjured is that this fella left his ruff behind in it and had to be reattached. Best guess I can come up with! I ended up changing my original idea & painted over it, too. Maybe the next restock will be different and I can shoot for the stained look again. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.