fbpx

Jewels on keeper dragons

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Jewels on keeper dragons

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I have added additional jewels to keepers and to small dragons. I have drilled small gem setting hole in forehead of almost all of my keepers for gems and I have used flat backs for other areas. Added small dragon chest gems, keeper dragon back leg gems and shoulder gems etc.

KaytanaPhoenix
    Participant

I’ve added a gem to a keeper, my Hellfires forehead, trick is when drilling in, scales sometimes crumble away… for as much as you’re talking, I’d very seriously contemplate flatbacks…

Prezaurian
      Participant

To be honest, after drilling a broken tang out of a male unicorn’s forehead…I suggest flat back gems too. The gypsum can be unpredictable and once it starts to crumble it gets dicey. Small flat backs should work alright. I’ve only used the point backs in the nooks and crannies that already exist in a sculpt.

But, if you’re determined in what you want to do don’t let fear get in the way. Mistakes happen and if we sound worry warty, its because we all just want your project to turn out as best it can for you! Good luck! I’m sure it’ll be awesome!

Phoegonix
        Participant

Well, my concern is, I’m probably going to have to ship it to the person I’m giving it to, and I want it to arrive completely intact. I’m worried that flat backs might be more prone to falling off. I probably need to wait until I have the sculpt here to actually look at, maybe see how the jewels fit where I want them before deciding. They should get here tomorrow…I wish they were here now!

Phoegonix
          Participant

My PYOs have arrived.

I’m in love with these sculpts. It’s like miniature quality detail on a much larger scale…I can’t wait to get started.

I use E6000 glue for my flat backs and have shipped across Canada, USA and to UK and have had no issues. I have only had one gem come off after sold and that was not due to shipping but from owners sibling picked it off lol

Could try using that glue. Once hardened and set if you use it for eyes it is not removable so if wanting to remove eyes to change later stick with Elmers white glue. 🙂
            My 2 cents anyways.

I also, when drilling, use the bit by hand, turning between fingers and not with power drill. I start out with smaller bit and drill start hole, move to larger bit making hole again bit bigger then to final size I need. This helps to prevent and crumbling of gypsum. Takes more time bit works well.

Phoegonix
            Participant

I’m starting on this PYO. I’m using a small hand drill (a pin vice) to drill the holes, and it’s working quite well. Feel free to check out my other thread (kohl777s PYO thread) for progress shots.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.