Insurance for Windstone collections

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Insurance for Windstone collections

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tyrrlin
    Participant

I just placed a “personal insurance” rider thing on my Windstone collection. Since my collection is so “large” it wouldn’t be covered under homeowners and/or renters insurance. This way, I’m covered for loss or damage on any of my current pieces (at this point they number 47). I never realized how much all those pieces added up to until the agent gave me the total. 😮

Am I the only one who has done this? Am I crazy for having done this?

Windstone collector in remission. 😉

Tyrrlin
      Participant

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Nope!

You are
          http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7230
          definitely
          http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7235
          not
          http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4991
          The first!! 😉

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Tyrrlin
          Participant

*coughs and looks REAAALLLY embarrassed* Uhhh, I’ll be quiet now. 😳

Christine
            Participant

Wow, I’d never thought of that! I’m glad it got brought up again. There’s some useful links in those links, Jennifer, thanks!!

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Don’t be embarrassed! The only reason I remembered is because I kinda need to read everything here, heeeheh 😀
                Despite this I still forget half of it, sheesh. XD

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Are policies like that expensive? I’ve always wondered about that. I’d like to insure my collection, but never really got around to researching what I would have to do, or what it would cost.

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

Congratulations, Tyrrlin, on insuring your Windstones! You have 47? How many of those are griffins?

Tyrrlin
                    Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Are policies like that expensive? I’ve always wondered about that. I’d like to insure my collection, but never really got around to researching what I would have to do, or what it would cost.

It’s about an additional $10 per month on top of my auto/renters insurance. It’s done by value, so my collection is insured for *coughs* $13,000.

purpledragonclaw wrote:

Congratulations, Tyrrlin, on insuring your Windstones! You have 47? How many of those are griffins?

Thirty-eight griffins, six Poads, and three cats. 🙂 And thanks! I feel better about the collection now that it’s properly insured.

Bob

I wonder how much it would cost to insure mine?? I think I’m at like $25,000 to $30,000
                        How do they determine the value??
                        My Brown Emperor was $180 when I bought him but is now about $1000 or so

Also NEVER feel bad about bringing up anything here ESPECIALLY when it comes to protecting your Windstone investment

Tyrrlin
                        Participant

Dragon Master wrote:

I wonder how much it would cost to insure mine?? I think I’m at like $25,000 to $30,000

Also NEVER feel bad about bringing up anything here ESPECIALLY when it comes to protecting your Windstone investment

I was asked to estimate the value on the pieces (they didn’t ask for receipts, but I was able to produce documentation, thanks to Ravnheart’s site, for values on eBay items), and the insurance was ~$1.00 per $1,000 of value per year. So my $13,000 collection came out to ~$130/year, which is just around $10/mo.

EDIT: you also have to provide some sort of photo documentation that you actually OWN said pieces. I made copies of the pics of my griffin flock, my passel of cats, and clutter of Poads.

purpledragonclaw
                          Participant

I thought a group of cats was a chowder.

Nightcrow
                            Participant

I was pretty sure it was a “clowder”…

purpledragonclaw wrote:

I thought a group of cats was a chowder.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Bob

Tyrrlin wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

I was asked to estimate the value on the pieces (they didn’t ask for receipts, but I was able to produce documentation, thanks to Ravnheart’s site, for values on eBay items), and the insurance was ~$1.00 per $1,000 of value per year. So my $13,000 collection came out to ~$130/year, which is just around $10/mo.

EDIT: you also have to provide some sort of photo documentation that you actually OWN said pieces. I made copies of the pics of my griffin flock, my passel of cats, and clutter of Poad™s.
                                this amount was WINDSTONES only if I add in all my Franklin Mint dragons and several other pieces it could be off the charts!!
                                WOW it’s hard to believe how much money I spent before I bought my condo and how little I have been able to spend since. Well in 2006 I spent a LOT on my Windstones. I got my 2 23KT Gold Leaf Hatching Empresses, the 23KT Gold Leaf OW and the Ruby and Black Gold entire families, it was SO nice to have money back then.
                                That was my last GREAT winter Overtime year

Pegasi1978
                                Participant

I may be looking into this sometime soon myself. I just added up the average prices of the 52 pieces in my collection and came darn close to $5k. The only pieces that skew that number really high are Stormy (the raffle piece) and the Medicine Hat young unicorn. A unicorn similar to Stormy sold on ebay for $675.99, the Medicine Hat went for $426.50. There are no other pieces to average the prices off of, unlike the Sunrise Lap and Brown Eyed Baby Koi-Rin. I’m still nauseous looking at the number.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.