I don't want to get too excited, but…

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion I don't want to get too excited, but…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

That’s really cool! I hope you see your name on a compilation some day. Good luck!

Lokie
      Participant

That would be awesome! Good luck!

pipsxlch
        Participant

I never browse this forum usually as I’m NOT a writer, but I should- that is so unbelievably cool! What are the criteria you would look for in a story? Or would such a compilation be more of a historical overview, with representative pieces of different eras and subgenres?

Jodi
          Participant

I’m probably going to look for classics, with underlying meanings and allegories. My thesis was on the construction of otherness in science fiction, so I will probably stick pretty closely with that theme.

I’ve made a list of authors whose work I would like to include, and it’s about 30 names long already. I’ve looked through the list of Hugo and Nebula Award winners to begin. And I’ve studied, Orson Scott Card, Ursula K. LeGuin, Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, so they will be included in whole or in part.

I would also like to include a small bio sketch of each author and some questions for each selection that students could write a paper on for assignment suggestions for the teacher.

See. I’m already working on it like I’ve gotten the job. πŸ˜€ I figure, if I don’t get it, I could submit it somewhere else and maybe get it published anyway. So I’m going to do it with that idea in mind.

BipolarBear
            Participant

Go for a part time position teaching the class and then have the book as assigned reading. It’s a trick many professors use.

I would help but I am just to tired to get out of bed today~
              Engaged to a Weasel

Jodi
              Participant

I already have a part time position teaching the class. I really want a full time position teaching the class and some other classes too. My reason for doing the book is because there aren’t any currently out there. I’m all over the idea of making the students buy my book for the class. It’s the first thing that popped into my mind! πŸ˜€

Unfortunately I won’t make that much money on it unless other teachers use it for classes too.

BipolarBear
                Participant

well since it’s unique I’m sure you can find some other professors that will want to use it as long as it’s something more than just a collection of works that you can find at the library.

I would help but I am just to tired to get out of bed today~
                  Engaged to a Weasel

Lupin
                  Participant

I might know some Prof’s here in Edmonton at the UofA who’d try it!! Are you thinking of putting in some Cyber Punk? Some of my classes had some of it, but not all of it was interesting. Man I’ve done too many English, and Comp Lit courses!!

Elena
                    Participant

If I remember correctly both the Uof C and Mountroyal College have English classes that focus o Scifi. A Friend of mine took the one at University and complained about how many books they had to buy (20) for the course. I’d say a reader would be a god sent to students as well as profs!

Jodi
                      Participant

Lupin wrote:

I might know some Prof’s here in Edmonton at the UofA who’d try it!! Are you thinking of putting in some Cyber Punk? Some of my classes had some of it, but not all of it was interesting. Man I’ve done too many English, and Comp Lit courses!!

I’m looking at including things from Bruce Sterling and Spider Robinson. I’m not sure if that’s what you mean though.

Jasmine
                        Participant

Spider is one of my favorite authors!! Isn’t strictly SciFi but I love his Callahan series. I just re-read those the other night. πŸ˜†

WolfenMachine
                          Participant

SO emerald, more than a year later, how did things pan out? Did you finish your book? πŸ™‚

twindragonsmum
                            Participant

WolfenMachine wrote:

SO emerald, more than a year later, how did things pan out? Did you finish your book? πŸ™‚

Yes! Inquiring minds want to know… or at least really nosy minds (mine) want to know!*

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

siberakh1
                              Participant

That would totally be awesome! Good luck! πŸ˜€

Maria
                                Participant

I hope emerald stops by again sometime and sees this…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.