How do you layer color?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody How do you layer color?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

When you’re painting a piece, do you first lay down a base of different colors, and then do black over the top of that? Or do you start with black and then lay down stencils to spray color? Do you ever change your mind and totally start over?

etruscan
      Participant

An interesting video from Melody’s Facebook page (maybe you have already seen it)

Another paint quick.This camera app is fun!

Posted by Melody Pena on Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Stephanie
        Participant

Oooh! I had not seen that, thank you!

etruscan
          Participant

This one is from the Windstone Editions Facebook page – “The process of airbrushing and hand painting an Autumn leaf Poad(tm)
            Turn your speakers off! The roar of the spray booth is all you can hear.”

The process of airbrushing and hand painting an Autumn leaf Poad(tm) Turn your speakers off! The roar of the spray booth is all you can hear.

Posted by Windstone Editions on Friday, October 19, 2012

Ela_Hara
            Participant

I think it is so Cool that Melody can have a steady enough hand to do some of the marvelous line designs with a thin brush. All by Hand! I wish I was steady enough and could just ‘draw’ all those designs without a stencil or guidelines lightly drawn on the piece.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
              Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
              Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
              *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Bodine
              Participant

I told Jeff the exact same thing.Look how steady she is.
                Sometimes mine,not so steady,others my hand is a rock.Old age for me I guess😁

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

pipsxlch
                Participant

Envy here too- and I wish I could find a decent affordable brush that fine!

Landipan
                  Participant

Have you tried a kolinsky brush, the cheapest I use is 8$. For teeny tiny details a 0/3 size is amazing!

*Formerly meowmix101
                    Not currently open for PYO commissions.

pipsxlch
                    Participant

$8 I can do, I shall have to try one. There’s a Sam Flax a half hour away I keep meaning to hit…

Landipan
                      Participant

They’re amazing, you can also buy them on DickBlick, the brand I get is Escoda, I seriously can’t paint without them.

*Formerly meowmix101
                        Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Suzanne-Marie
                        Participant

Thank you Etruscan for posting these two painting vids by Melody 🦋 Artistic Genius Extrordinaire !!!
                          For those of us,like me,who do not paint 3D it is miraculous seeing it un-fold!!
                          Your hands are so steady Melody🦋 !!
                          Thank you for sharing a peek into your artistry !!
                          You are simply amazing !!

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Those are great videos! Thank you guys so much for sharing them here. I admit I hadn’t seen them despite following Melody on Facebook (Ugh, algorithms!!).

When layering in acrylic with brushes, I use a clear medium to thin the paints into a “glaze”, (increases transparency of the paint) and paint the glazes on top of the “local” color. This can be whatever color you want to start with, depending on the effects you are after! Many thin glazes of interference paint, for example, look very excellent over a black base… but for rich jewel tones, I often start with a saturated but slightly darker color then layer interference colors on top of that, in many glazes. Because my glazes are thin, they tend to “pool” in the cracks of the sculpture (e.g. between scales) and create darker areas there, reducing my need to antique the pieces when I’m done. Dry-brushing is a bit of the opposite… that’s when you use paint that is not runny (not truly dry, but don’t add water or thinner) on a soft brush, stroked against the raised areas on a sculpture, to add color only to those raised areas. If done correctly this can be layered also, but it’s a bit harder as the paint tends to be more opaque as no mediums are added to reduce opacity.
                            When thinning, it’s important not to use too much water as an incorrect ratio of water to acrylic paint will cause the polymer bonds to be weak or poor enough that you could experience paint instability (flaking, chipping, peeling, ‘crazing’) in the long run. I like to use a clear acrylic medium. 🙂

Also, for those looking for thin brushes that hold a lot of paint for great lines and detail, I suggest “liners” and “rigger” brushes. I also envy Melody’s steady hand! I could never do that, myself!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Oh gosh, I thought this was in the PYO forum… I see now that this question is directed at Melody! Doh! Ignore my stupid comment above!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Stephanie
                              Participant

Don’t apologize, Jennifer! You’re an artist too and I love learning! Thank you for sharing your technique!

pipsxlch
                                Participant

Actually, thank you, Jennifer. Since I don’t airbrush, your methods are more apropos for me. That post was helpful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.