How did you start collecting Windstones?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone How did you start collecting Windstones?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Barrdwing wrote:

The Pern books played a pretty central role for me too, as they were hands-down the best darned dragon stories I’d ever read . . . and still are. I started reading those in junior high, so by high school I was pretty solidly locked into dragons. Freshman year, our marching band was invited to compete at the Fiesta Bowl Competition of Bands in Arizona. This led to a nine-bus caravan snorting its way down the freeway, loaded to the gills with bored kids and harried chaperones. It was nearly a twelve-hour drive in those slow things. As a reward of sorts for not hijacking the buses πŸ˜‰ we were turned loose in the Scottsdale Mall for a few hours. There I ran across a shop that had these incredible brown and green dragons in its front window. I don’t think I moved from that window for half an hour. I didn’t have twenty bucks to spare, so even the Hatcher was out of my reach, but I went from dragon to dragon anyway trying to decide which one I would buy if I could. (I eventually decided I liked the browns a little bit better.)

Leaving those dragons behind was extremely hard, and I moped about it for months. Then, a few years later, I discovered an Old Green Mother in our local Wicks’n’Sticks. It was nearly Christmas, and I only had enough cash left for half of her price. Mom, however, let herself be convinced that if she paid half and I paid half, then this dragon could be her Christmas present to me. I think Mom was happy to get off so easily, and there was little question that I liked the gift! πŸ˜† That dragon followed me throughout my penniless college years. It wasn’t until I’d been out and working for over five years that it even occurred to me that I could start collecting these in earnest. I found an Old Brown family on eBay, bid like a frenzied mongoose, and have been building the collection ever since. Although I have learned to not do the mongoose bidding thing most of the time. πŸ™„

I think that the world may just get smaller. What high school did you go to? My husband went to the fiesta bowl, and he too was let loose in the mall. LOL πŸ˜›

Maebnus
    Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Maebnus3 wrote:

two of my coolest possessions when really little were my purple unicorn banana-seat bike and my temperature-changing snow boots (when they got cold & wet, the unicorns showed up).

Okay, listen, I’ll admit it. I had both of these things. πŸ˜† It was a purple banana seat bike, the seat was white with a unicorn on it, and heaven help me I think it had rainbow tassels. The handlebar grips were white too. My temperature changing boots were rubber and purple too.

I don’t even like purple. πŸ˜†
      YES! Ooh.. I forgot about the tassels, but yeah, white grips and multi-color tassels! Hmm… my boots were definitely rubbery, but I think mine were white. Hard to remember all the little details from 22-23 years ago! πŸ˜† But I know they went well with my pink, puffy snowsuit! πŸ˜†

Starbreeze
      Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I got the two my brother had. You know…come to think of it, he has a prototype OW. I think I will try to weasel that one away from him too…

Which one does he have??? πŸ™‚

Maria
        Participant

I saw the emerald coiled mama and bought her, and then found a store up in Mackinaw City that carried them. I had Grandma bring me over a piece from them whenever she came. And then two years ago I had the bright idea to check E-Bay for them, and that was that.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

And then two years ago I had the bright idea to check E-Bay for them, and that was that.

Oh yeah….eBay. I’ll admit–I’m hooked *waving hand in the air* Although I got started on eBay over Native Halters for my Arab horses back I’d say, over 4 years ago. I guess I should be glad that the hubby is a little intimidated about buying/selling there. πŸ˜‰

darjeb
          Participant

I bought my first one after seeing a brown male and female at a friend’s house and that was 1986.

Megan
            Participant

I saw them in Wicks ‘n’ Sticks, thought they were pretty, and my dad bought me one πŸ˜‰ Love at first sight. I started getting them for birthdays and Christmas, and now that I’m older and have a steady cash flow I can buy my own.

Heather
              Participant

kenziesmommy663 wrote:

I think that the world may just get smaller. What high school did you go to? My husband went to the fiesta bowl, and he too was let loose in the mall. LOL πŸ˜›

I went to Poway High. Our Fiesta Bowl trip was during my freshman year, 1986-87. It was a lot of fun! πŸ™‚

Barrdwing wrote:

kenziesmommy663 wrote:

I went to Poway High. Our Fiesta Bowl trip was during my freshman year, 1986-87. It was a lot of fun! πŸ™‚

Okay….maybe my husband didn’t go to the same mall as you. Otherwise he would have been a one year old let loose in a mall. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜€

WolfenMachine
                Participant
                  Heather
                  Participant

kenziesmommy663 wrote:

Barrdwing wrote:

kenziesmommy663 wrote:

Okay….maybe my husband didn’t go to the same mall as you. Otherwise he would have been a one year old let loose in a mall. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜€

Let’s hope not! πŸ˜‰ Now ‘shcuse me whilsht I go findsh my teefsh . . . πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

Starbreeze
                    Participant

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Nightcrow
                      Participant

The old, old story — I saw one in a store as a kid (the store was Glass Menagerie, the dragons were a mix of Peacock and White), and knew I had to have them, and that White was THE color for me. πŸ™‚ Saved up my allowance and bought the White Mother, then the Young, and then… well, I was in high school then, I’m 25 now, and I have the whole White family and am contemplating a search for the White Spectals (and continued pleas for a production White Secret Keeper)…

In addition to three PYO griffins, a Silver Lap and Emerald OW, BVP OW, two bookends, a Ki-Rin, a gothic unicorn, and plans for a family of Black Sunset griffins. πŸ™‚

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Maria
                        Participant

In most cases it sound like love at first sight. πŸ˜†

Skigod377
                          Participant

starbreeze wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

I got the two my brother had. You know…come to think of it, he has a prototype OW. I think I will try to weasel that one away from him too…

Which one does he have??? πŸ™‚He HAD the pecock male and white mother, but I have had them for the last 13 years or so. I dont know what all he has now, but I certainly want that OW. I wonder how much it will take to get it away from him…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.