fbpx

How are New Limited Production Colors Chosen?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody How are New Limited Production Colors Chosen?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gina
    Participant

I certainly do poke around the forums, (if someone mentions wishing to see something in a specific color and I’m running low on ideas… theres a good chance it might sneak onto ebay in the coming weeks/months!) As soon as someone on the forums said they looked like opals I knew I could have had a much better name! I’m terrible at naming the new colors! Thank you guys so much for the compliments! Making my holiday spirit go higher and higher! <3

For coming up with new test paints, its a lot of looking around the world/taking pictures of everything (I’ve had some beautiful ideas come about when I’m cleaning out my guns and the paint all mixes in the big paint bucket) Sometimes I just feel like I’ve been doing too many green dragons and I push myself to use colors that aren’t necessarily my favorites (like pastels!) and make something beautiful from that. The most organic test paints I do are usually my griffins, just start painting and see where it goes!

Oh and Christine! I didn’t see your icon until just now! You should check out the eBay thread! Looks like you and I have the same idea for keeper couples XD

merrillannwhite
      Participant

On the scaly critters, it might have an even more opal like effect if the scales were done in patches of color instead of bands.  An excuse for another test paint?

Kim
        Blocked

I would love to see more pieces painted like opals, white opals, black opals, blue opals, etc.  I would really love if the pastel rainbows or something similar became a production colour for pegasi and maybe other pieces!  I would also love to see a test paint colour scheme based on the sunset moth which would maybe be a bit of a cross between rainbow, pastel rainbow and blue morpho!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

I’m not one for pastels but that new Rainbow Pastel seems like a good idea for production… or limited production anyway. It’s a color that is very different from all the other schemes that have ever been offered and I think it would do well in the mass market (aside from white which has been loooooooooong retired)  Just seems like a solid choice to me. I haven’t bought any Elven, Tanzanite, or Prizmatic Spring only for the fact they are so similar to previously released colors… Not that they aren’t beautiful on their own but for an seasoned collector, it’s just not worth the investment because I’d end up selling off the older color I had just because they were too similar… For example I got rid of most of my Ruby Dragons for Red Fire and then my Amethyst in favor of Violet Flame… so on and so fourth.

However I’d definitely pick up some of the Rainbow Pastel or similarly Opal colored dragons if they became production or limited production. There different enough from all the others I wouldn’t have to sell of one of my other colors! Way less of a hassle and I get the satisfaction of my collection actually growing! Mwahahaha! LOL! ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

We did pastels… so now it’s time for fluorescents right!? If we know anything it’s that everyone loves dragons you need sunglasses to look at! Or wait… was that only me? LOL!

In all seriousness I really loved back in the day when Melody did a few dragons in big cat color schemes. They were quite popular as well. I have the Bengal and Sand Tiger Old Warriors and they are among some of my most prized pieces. There were a few Bengal spotted Orientals too that were pretty amazing, but they sold for too high for me to get my hands on them.

Got a busted Windstone?
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Tattoo Mother Kirin

Melody
              Keymaster

( I should point out that by “guns” she means airbrushes!)

Melody
                Keymaster

1) We go by squeaks

2) and if it is a color that isn’t too similar to other colors we already have as production or limited production

3) and if it isn’t TOO difficult to paint

4) and if the paint is available! Some of my favorite colors  are made with paint we can’t get anymore.

5) and pure randomness

Bodancia
                  Participant

Just curious, I bought a Prismatic Mineral Spring dragon on Ebay this fall that was a Test Paint.  And then not too long afterwards, you came out with the Prismatic Spring dragons in production.  Very, very similar colors.  So is that an example of a color that appeared shortly afterwards in production?

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

Zexious
                    Participant

Thanks for the info, Gina and Melody! It really is wonderful having artists and business owners that are so involved not only with their craft, but with the community that loves them. You both really are amazing ;o;

Bodancia, it really sounds like it’s a combination of a lot of factors. ): Definitely a good thing to keep in mind that it’s a possibility when perusing eBay.

Bodancia
                      Participant

Oh my!  Fluorescent dragons!  Hot pink!  Orange!  Tie-dye!  Woodstockian!

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

There actually have been Tie Dye Dragons!

I will admit I scooped up most of them! They are freaking awesome!!!

Got a busted Windstone?
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.