fbpx

How are New Limited Production Colors Chosen?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody How are New Limited Production Colors Chosen?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Christine
    Participant

Hello!

Long time collector (50+ pieces) but new to the forums.  I have been watching the eBay auctions for the past couple weeks and have seen cool new test paint colors like night’s fire, pastel rainbow, sanguine (got the mini keeper!), succulent, twilight sea, and opoponax 2.

I was curious how often a new test paint color is usually done, and how do you guys decide which, if any, of them should become limited production colors?

I am particularly entranced by the Pastel Rainbow dragons.  They strike me as so whimsical, fairy-like, Eastery!, and look to me like they would go beautifully in a baby’s nursery or little kid’s room.  I have two little girls and would seriously start a collection of Pastel Rainbows if they were available.  I didn’t start watching until most of them were gone on eBay, then was not able to bid on a few, and the couple I tried for went for huge amounts!

Melody
      Keymaster

I choose colors that people seem to like a lot, and that I like a lot, and a color that isn’t too similar to other colors we already have as limited or production colors.

If we retire a red color for example, I look for a red or reddish color to fill the gap.  BUT we only start producing a new color when we have  room for another one.  There are so many great new colors going on ebay, it is really hard to focus on one! ( I usually don’t paint those,Gina does,  so I can brag about them!)

Christine
        Participant

What do you think of Pastel Rainbow?  If you guys should ever decide to retire Shell Pink, I think Pastel Rainbow would be an excellent replacement.  To me it seems significantly different-looking than most of the other colors.  It is soft and enchanting and captivating where most of the other colors are rich and bold and vibrant.  You’d think that liking Rainbow Pastel I would also like Shell Pink, but I don’t, it is too single-toned for my taste.

In any case, fabulous work Gina!

dragonmedley
          Participant

We squeak for the colors we like.

For example, Mystic Umber, especially on the orientals. Ever thought about trying the kirins in Mystic Umber? Eh? Eh?

And all the pebbles in ivory…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Betrluk1
            Participant

i really wish we could get a warm tone dragon.

Nightcrow
              Participant

Seconding this, if for opposite reasons – I like single-toned dragons, and Pastel Rainbow hits that note for me!  I love Pastel Rainbow (and tried very hard to win the Lap Dragon, but just couldn’t go high enough), and I would *really* love to see it become an LP color someday!  We haven’t had a pale dragon color since White was retired, so I feel like it’s a really exciting color direction.

As far as two-toned colors and dark colors go, I’m still madly in love with the Black Rainbow griffins; would love to see them as LPs someday too!  (We’ve had a lot of “Black X” dragons, but not as many griffins – just Black Sunset, plus the original Black, right?  So it wouldn’t be too much like other griffin colors!)

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Samwise
                Participant

Pastel rainbow is very pretty. I was dying to win the spectral in pastel rainbow and got sniped! 🙁 Would definitely like to see this as LPs too!

Suzanne-Marie
                  Participant

Please luv, luv the Pastel Rainbow!!
                    It hits all the beautiful, light color notes perfectly!!
                    Would luv to see it in dragons especially curled !!
                    It would look so good on Adult Poads too !!
                    Or even on Griffins !!
                    Would look so pretty on Pegasi too !!
                    A Penny For Anyone’s Thoughts ??

Kim
                    Blocked

I agree.  I would love to see more pieces in pastel rainbow or see them as a limited production colour too. The original rainbow dragons are my favourites but I also love pastel coloured things so I think pastel rainbow dragons (or opal as I think of them) coloured dragons would be a nice compliment to the original rainbow dragons.  The only thing is I would love them more if they were a bit more saturated in colour so you can see the colours better as they look really white in some pictures.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Zexious
                      Participant

Yesssss Pastel Rainbow and Black Rainbow.

I cry <3!!

Christine
                        Participant

Its funny how everyone likes the pastel rainbow color for different reasons.  I agree with the few who have said here and in the eBay pictures thread that it would be nice to have a whiter color scheme available.  I really love the original white color too, and think lighter/whiter colors are quite beautiful and fairly different from current production colors.  For whatever reason I don’t care for the regular rainbow dragons or the new prismatic spring dragons, but love the pastel rainbows so much!  I need these beauties in my life.

Landipan
                          Participant

I love the pastel rainbow color too! I think it looks like white opals, which I adore.

I’d love to see this color on the Kirins(especially the Male) more, maybe with a white mane?!

*Formerly meowmix101
                            Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Melody
                            Keymaster

Yes, it is certainly distinctive!

Nightcrow
                              Participant

You and Kim and I all have the same thought, there – we’re all on the “opal” train!  🙂

I think that’s a big part of why I see it as a single-color dragon; it’s “Opal Colored” rather than being “Pink And Yellow And Blue And Green With Purple.”  And it goes so nicely with the “Pearl” of the old Whites!  🙂

(I would love to see “Black Pastel” Kirins, but white would be pretty, too!   I think I’m sticking to natural colors for my Kirin herd, though.)

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Christine
                                Participant

Now that you guys mention it, I can totally see the “opal” in the pastel rainbow dragons.  They do remind me of precious stones.  Curious if Gina ever browses the forums, and what she thinks of the pastel rainbows as “opaline” (is that the right word?) dragons.

I think this calls for a second test paint!  ; -)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.