fbpx

Historic Dinner Party

Home Forums Miscellany Community Historic Dinner Party

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Bob

I’m not sure what the connection is???

siberakh1
      Participant

Dragon Master wrote:

You can look around online, but essentially, Lincoln didn’t believe in equality of the races. A lot of what Lincoln said and believed in is left out in school history classes. If he could have preserved the Union without freeing them, he would have. Since he couldn’t do that, one worry he had was what to do with the slaves after the war. He wanted to colonize them or segregate them. He didn’t believe in whites and blacks living together. He didn’t want them raising arms up against their former masters (who would essentially be disarmed because of defeat from the war), with the real risk of a race war. One of his generals, Benjamin Butler, suggested to Lincoln, โ€œWhy not send them to Panama to dig the canal?โ€ Lincoln loved the idea and asked Butler to consult with William Seward (Lincoln’s Secretary of State, and the same man known for ‘Seward’s Folly’ with the purchase of Alaska from Russia) at once. Lincoln was killed shortly thereafter.

Jasmine
        Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Rasputin

Are we sure that would be a good idea?? We’d never get him back into the grave again since they had to stab, poison, shoot and drown him to kill him the first time… ๐Ÿ˜•

Bob

siberakh1 wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

You can look around online, but essentially, Lincoln didn’t believe in equality of the races. A lot of what Lincoln said and believed in is left out in school history classes. If he could have preserved the Union without freeing them, he would have. Since he couldn’t do that, one worry he had was what to do with the slaves after the war. He wanted to colonize them or segregate them. He didn’t believe in whites and blacks living together. He didn’t want them raising arms up against their former masters (who would essentially be disarmed because of defeat from the war), with the real risk of a race war. One of his generals, Benjamin Butler, suggested to Lincoln, โ€œWhy not send them to Panama to dig the canal?โ€ Lincoln loved the idea and asked Butler to consult with William Seward (Lincoln’s Secretary of State, and the same man known for ‘Seward’s Folly’ with the purchase of Alaska from Russia) at once. Lincoln was killed shortly thereafter.
            I have not ever learned this part

Maria
            Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

Thumbs up, siberakh! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Maria
              Participant

Jasmine wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Rasputin

Are we sure that would be a good idea?? We’d never get him back into the grave again since they had to stab, poison, shoot and drown him to kill him the first time… ๐Ÿ˜•

๐Ÿ˜† “And the hunt is on again, 100 years later!” As if he’s not legendary enough already.
                He’d definitely be interesting to talk to, as long as one is equipped against his wiles.

Jodi
                Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Jasmine wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

Rasputin

๐Ÿ˜† “And the hunt is on again, 100 years later!” As if he’s not legendary enough already.
                  He’d definitely be interesting to talk to, as long as one is equipped against his wiles.

Exactly!

siberakh1 wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

woot another Civil War nut like myself ๐Ÿ™‚ . gotta love how sickenly PC this country is .

I ran into a Lincoln in Gettysburg a few summers ago while i was doing medical demonstrations at the American wax museum . i asked him the same question , and i dont know if he was trying to protect the image of Abe or if he was just ignorant to who he was portraying, the answer i got was .. ” i hear its hot and full of bugs” ๐Ÿ˜† . i know some reenactors are sinnical but i just down know about this one

I actually knew about the Panama thing too ๐Ÿ™‚ Although I did have to refresh myself. I learned that one in highschool. My high school social teacher liked talking about some of the world’s…. interesting characters.

He laughed when talking about mass murders…. creepy bugger but you remembered what he said! LOL

siberakh1
                  Participant

Necron99 wrote:

woot another Civil War nut like myself ๐Ÿ™‚ . gotta love how sickenly PC this country is .

I ran into a Lincoln in Gettysburg a few summers ago while i was doing medical demonstrations at the American wax museum . i asked him the same question , and i dont know if he was trying to protect the image of Abe or if he was just ignorant to who he was portraying, the answer i got was .. ” i hear its hot and full of bugs” ๐Ÿ˜† . i know some reenactors are sinnical but i just down know about this one

Well, I’m more of history buff in general, but I pay attention to US history and it’s peculiarities, among other historical topics. ๐Ÿ™‚ I did have one teacher for AP History and Gov’t who liked teaching the nitty gritty details. Abe was one of those topics he covered (bunch of documents of things he said, contradicting himself depending on who he spoke with). So easy and fun to teach, but at the same time I’d probably get in trouble for teaching ‘real’ history and not the sugar coated stuff. ๐Ÿ˜ณ I like history and grew up/live in the thick of things for the Revolutionary War (my house stands over part of the encampments for the Battle of Saratoga), but we have underground railroad houses and stops all over up here as well.

I cringe at things like, pilgrims with buckles on their hats eating turkey dinner or US citizens (born and raised) not knowing that Pennsylvania is a state (a friend of mine was in TX and had this happen when she pulled out her ID, having it thrown back at her in a store saying it was fake). :shrug:

Maria
                    Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

US citizens (born and raised) not knowing that Pennsylvania is a state (a friend of mine was in TX and had this happen when she pulled out her ID, having it thrown back at her in a store saying it was fake). :shrug:

๐Ÿ˜ฎ For real?

Bob

Greater Basilisk wrote:

siberakh1 wrote:

US citizens (born and raised) not knowing that Pennsylvania is a state (a friend of mine was in TX and had this happen when she pulled out her ID, having it thrown back at her in a store saying it was fake). :shrug:

๐Ÿ˜ฎ For real?
                        That’s CRAZY

WolfenMachine
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

siberakh1 wrote:

๐Ÿ˜ฎ For real?

Whhhat?! On behalf of my fellow Texans, I appologise for our ignorance. Was it a small town off the beaten path? lol

If Rasputain ever came back and came to dinner, I think he’d be SUPER high maintenance. “I do not like this! It is too cooked! Don’t you have anything better?” I imagine he’d be really rude. Instead of Elvis sightings, we’d be having Rasputain sightings! lol

siberakh1
                          Participant

WolfenMachine wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

siberakh1 wrote:

๐Ÿ˜ฎ For real?

Whhhat?! On behalf of my fellow Texans, I appologise for our ignorance. Was it a small town off the beaten path? lol

If Rasputain ever came back and came to dinner, I think he’d be SUPER high maintenance. “I do not like this! It is too cooked! Don’t you have anything better?” I imagine he’d be really rude. Instead of Elvis sightings, we’d be having Rasputain sightings! lol

Yes! For real! There are idiots everywhere, not just in TX. My friend’s coworkers all just laughed that were with her! *lol* I’m not sure where it was, just that it was a convenience store, with the impression that it wasn’t in a largely populated area.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.