fbpx

Help please…

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Help please…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

Has anyone heard of an art style that makes a picture by drawing different geometric lines?
      A long long time ago, I was watching Mac and Muttley . They showed a husband/wife team who specialized in this art form and did a huge portrait of a dolphin.
      They started out with a large grid. In each box they etched or drew lines in different directions. So in one box would be horizontal lines, the next would be vertical, then diagonal, etc.
      I would really like to find some sort of book or information on it. I think it originated in Asia.

Andrea
      Participant

Lokie
        Participant

Phoenix wrote:

Has anyone heard of an art style that makes a picture by drawing different geometric lines?
          A long long time ago, I was watching Mac and Muttley . They showed a husband/wife team who specialized in this art form and did a huge portrait of a dolphin.
          They started out with a large grid. In each box they etched or drew lines in different directions. So in one box would be horizontal lines, the next would be vertical, then diagonal, etc.
          I would really like to find some sort of book or information on it. I think it originated in Asia.

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about, but cannot remember what it is called (if it even has any sort of special name) or the names of the artists who I’ve seen do this type of work. ๐Ÿ™ Sorry, I’m no help. Hopefully someone here knows because my internet searches are doing no good.

Hmm, I also remember one of my roommates in college (who minored in art) do something like this as an assignment for a class.

Andrea
          Participant

Thanks Lokie. I did a million google searches to no avail. I hope some one can help me!

Phoenix wrote:

Yea, I have a few of these pictures custom made for me by a friend (lost contact with) BUT MAN are they AMAZING. I will check to see if I can get ahold of him again for you and see what I can dig up. They are very time comsuming, but WOW can you stare at the art for HOURS!!! (Have a leopard one in my bathroom)

Andrea
            Participant

That would be great! Any information would be cool. I have wanted to try it for the longest time, but I need a book or something as a guide. It’s been so long, I can’t remember how they do it.
              Is it possible to take a picture of your leopard? I would really love to see it.

SURE! I will try it! OK, STILL new to this, HOW can I post the picture for you once I take it?? LOL From what the guy said, it took MANY years of practice. THEY are amazing tho, I wanted to try it out as well when I saw them….he can put out a picture in about 2 weeks. They are VERY time consuming. But I will do my best to check on it for you. ๐Ÿ˜€

Andrea
              Participant

Open up a Photobucket account or email it to me at gsagain@hotmail.com and I will post it for you.
                Thanks so much. I can’t wait to see it!

Phoenix wrote:

Open up a Photobucket account or email it to me at gsagain@hotmail.com and I will post it for you.
                Thanks so much. I can’t wait to see it!

Cool, I sent you the pictures, SORRY the are so huge in megs! I think I have to adjust my camera settings LOL. But they are in your email! ๐Ÿ˜‰ This is the one I have in my bathroom, I also have a dragon one by the same guy done the same way. I LOVE these! I hope you can make out the detail that you are looking for Phoenix.

DantheDragon
                Participant

Pics!! I wanna see D:

Rusti
                  Participant

It’s called string art, if you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about. I typed it into google and here’s the search link String art search

I used to do them all the time when I was in high school, and came up with tons of different patterns and filled pages of graph paper (much to my mother’s ire…) with this stuff.

Enjoy!

DantheDragon wrote:

Pics!! I wanna see D:

The pics I took Danthe?

DantheDragon
                    Participant

DragonsCavern wrote:

DantheDragon wrote:

Pics!! I wanna see D:

The pics I took Danthe?

Yes yes, I’d love to see them if they get posted online. And you can just call me Dan ^^

DantheDragon wrote:

DragonsCavern wrote:

DantheDragon wrote:

Pics!! I wanna see D:

The pics I took Danthe?

Yes yes, I’d love to see them if they get posted online. And you can just call me Dan ^^

I actually e-mailed them to her Dan, if you want PM me with your email addy and I will send them to you ๐Ÿ˜€

Maria
                      Participant

Rusti wrote:

It’s called string art, if you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about. I typed it into google and here’s the search link String art search

I used to do them all the time when I was in high school, and came up with tons of different patterns and filled pages of graph paper (much to my mother’s ire…) with this stuff.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the links, Rusti. There’s some pretty elaborate stuff in there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.