Help me spread the word on reddit!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Help me spread the word on reddit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    icewing726
    Participant

Hi guys, I collect windstones in a more obsessive manner then most but probably significantly less then people like drag0nfeathers (who painted an absolutely amazing phoenix for me).

That being said, I had the idea to post my collection to reddit today under r/fantasyart. Upvotes drive reddit posts to the top of a forum and most of us have heard that windstone is suffering a bit. I have a feeling that if my armor stand made it to the top of that forum then my cabinet should have no problem.

But, you could help me in this effort by doing the following (Quiick warning, reddits a cess pool for the most part. This forum focuses on art and that may include nudity. Don’t use a work computer, and don’t log on if this art has the potential to offend.)

Creating an account, searching for fantasyart (reminder of the warning above), upvote my windstone post titled “Some of the finest fantasy sculptures you’ll ever find”, and maybe comment about your own collection/create your own post.

I’m not sure if this will help, but its a community that is attracted to this genre. There may be other subreddits that posts like this could inform fellow dragon lovers (not sure what yall see in poads) about this company. Maybe we’ll get more competition on ebay! On second thought…..

Courtney
      Participant

How is Windstone suffering? I’ve never heard that.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

icewing726
        Participant

I got an email to fill out a survey for a marketing class. That detailed it.

Landipan
          Participant

I think that’s a great idea, I always try to mention my Windstones in my other communities that I’m in, you never know when that one post is going to create a new Windstone fan!

*Formerly meowmix101
            Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Courtney
            Participant

Oh I filled out the survey too. That makes sense.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Big disclaimer: I am not talking for Windstone in any capacity whatsoever, this is purely my own personal observation from being at the fringes of Windstone; I think a better way to put it is that Windstone is sometimes struggling as a very small family business creating high end art collectibles, and I personally am amazed and thankful they can still afford to operate, given what has happened to the market for such luxury items and art in general in the last two decades. The landscape for selling such items has changed dramatically: the closure of a huge percentage of gift and collectible type brick and mortar shops, recession(s), shift in global marketing and buying, bubble “bursts” of collectors, and so on. It’s a complex issue with no one thing to “blame”, if that is even the right word. I can say that surviving as an independent artist in 2020 is extremely hard, and I imagine as a small company focused on art pieces that Windstone has struggles similar to but also beyond mine, since I do not have any employees to worry about nor a brick and mortar factory to finance at all levels.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Melody
                Keymaster

Ha ha, yes, we are in business! Struggling is always part of the deal.
                  It is always something. Right now we are so short-handed that John and I have been staying until the wee hours finishing up the castings of the day. A lot of handwork goes into removing seam lines, sanding out rough spots and whatnot.
                  Trying to gain traction online is a big challenge for us too. Thank you for helping with the reddit post! Any attention is always a big help!

Melody
                  Keymaster

Hi guys, I collect windstones in a more obsessive manner then most but probably significantly less then people like drag0nfeathers (who painted an absolutely amazing phoenix for me).

That being said, I had the idea to post my collection to reddit today under r/fantasyart. Upvotes drive reddit posts to the top of a forum and most of us have heard that windstone is suffering a bit. I have a feeling that if my armor stand made it to the top of that forum then my cabinet should have no problem.

But, you could help me in this effort by doing the following (Quiick warning, reddits a cess pool for the most part. This forum focuses on art and that may include nudity. Don’t use a work computer, and don’t log on if this art has the potential to offend.)

Creating an account, searching for fantasyart (reminder of the warning above), upvote my windstone post titled “Some of the finest fantasy sculptures you’ll ever find”, and maybe comment about your own collection/create your own post.

I’m not sure if this will help, but its a community that is attracted to this genre. There may be other subreddits that posts like this could inform fellow dragon lovers (not sure what yall see in poads) about this company. Maybe we’ll get more competition on ebay! On second thought…..

Thank you so very much! Getting any attention online is a puzzle we are always trying to solve!

Landipan
                    Participant

I’ve often wondered if it would help boost attention for Windstone to do a booth at any of the conventions that happen around the country, where I’m at we have a few like Dragoncon and Anime Weekend Atlanta(those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head atm), but I’m sure there are some around where Windstone is located! Though I suppose it’d require having an extra couple people to spare for an event like that, but always a thought to get the word out there!

I’m hoping that these Kickstarters are also bringing in new blood, I know I’ve discovered tons of new artists to follow since I started browsing KS!

*Formerly meowmix101

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

I’ve often wondered if it would help boost attention for Windstone to do a booth at any of the conventions that happen around the country, where I’m at we have a few like Dragoncon and Anime Weekend Atlanta(those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head atm), but I’m sure there are some around where Windstone is located! Though I suppose it’d require having an extra couple people to spare for an event like that, but always a thought to get the word out there!

I’m hoping that these Kickstarters are also bringing in new blood, I know I’ve discovered tons of new artists to follow since I started browsing KS!

I always supported my local shop Dragon’s Lair, but they eventually shut down their physical location and went strictly online and now they have been doing conventions, but they did eventually stop carrying Windstones which made me sad. Jennifer put it perfectly that art is a luxury item, and many artists haven’t survived the past 2 decades, but Windstone has always produced the absolutely highest quality which is why I believe Melody and John are able to survive in this day and age.

I’m not on reddit personally, but I have posted on DeviantArt about Windstones to try and get outside attention. I had hoped the Kickstarter would have spawned more attention as well but so far I haven’t seen any “I found this forum thru Kickstarter” messages anywhere quite yet. Who knows though, we tend to have a huge amount of lurkers who don’t post at all either so that may not be the case.

Got a busted Windstone?
                        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin
                        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Setsunawolf
                        Participant

There was a guy at GenCon who use to sell Windstones at inflated prices, but he almost always sold out. People saw them and wanted them.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Melody
                          Keymaster

We really should, but I am not the kind of person that enjoys cons. I have serious agoraphobia. Cons are too noisy and crazy for me… but we really should. Schlepping our heavy stuff around the country isn’t a pleasant thought either.
                            I have been invited to attend “Rustycon” in Seattle next September, so, since it is a really small one ( 500-700 attendees) I will try it.

Courtney
                            Participant

I would fly to Seattle to come see you if you went. My mom would go too.

Landipan
                              Participant

I think that’s so awesome that you guys might be going to a convention, anyway to get more eyes on the Windstone brand is a good thing! Be sure to make your booth stand out too, the one time I went to a con years ago I was frequently drawn in by the posters/banners of the shop from afar!

*Formerly meowmix101

Setsunawolf
                                Participant

I would come help you work the booth if you wanted. I have helped several artist friends work their booths at Gen Con, and I’ve worked a few Ren Faires. Working the Con is usually funner than attending. (Maybe I’m a bit weird) Although honestly Melody, having the artist there acuually helps sales significantly. I can’t tell you how many times I have both sold and up sold items with the line, “and I have the artist right here who can sign it to you.”

I’ve never been there, but Dragon Con in Atlanta seems like a no brainer. Dragon art sells like crazy there.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                                  Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                                  Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.