fbpx

GUITAR!

Home Forums Miscellany Community GUITAR!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

I was just bidding on an electric guitar on ebay, and won!!! It is a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar, I like to play guitar, but can’t read music I have been playing an old acustic guitar, but never really got any lessons. Me and my friend may start a band!

Anyone else here play guitar or other instruments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Bullet-Stratocaster-Strat-Electric-Guitar-Great_W0QQitemZ170102579538QQihZ007QQcategoryZ47070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is the guitar, I think it’s pretty, and SHINY!

For a while my dad was trying to teach me some guitar, but I can’t really play anything. I bet you’ll have a blast with that thing!

Oh pretty colour. I hope it sounds just as nice.

My sister had an electric guitar, my Mom got my grandfathers best guitar. (It’s worth quite a bit, we really need to get it appraised some day. It’s worth more to use for the memories, of course.) I learned the viola. My favorite of the strings.

siberakh1
    Participant

Congrats on the guitar! πŸ˜€

I have played flute for over 15 years (not counting the last few years on hiatus). Some of it was competitively. At college, I focused mainly on voice though, because I got sick of the competition on flute – and many flute teachers (at least at the college) will teach you in a method that nothing you do is right, so that you will work harder, but not give a lot of encouragement (theory being that it weeds out the weak). I tended to run in to those a lot and just got tired of it (too stressful and I could have more fun with voice… I hate scales πŸ˜› ) I’ve sung with my state’s youth chorale, with a regional festival chorus with the Philedelphia Orchestra and did some big premiere at college that was broadcast. Definitely more fun than flute competitions!

I was a music education major, so I also picked up clarinet, sax, and oboe before I changed my major for health reasons, though I haven’t touched them in a few years and they would not be at the same level as the flute playing. I’m working on improving my piano skills (they need work), as well as recorder (not the cheap plastic ones… the old wooden ones) – I have a soprano and an alto. I really would love a tenor recorder out of rosewood, but they are a bit pricey. I like flute type instruments a lot (because when you can play one… the others come easily and they all have a different sound and style).

When I have more time and space, I’d like to pick up:
      1) a french horn
      2) a bassoon
      3) a shakuhachi or shakuhachi headjoint for my flute (cheaper option than the shakuhachi itself)
      4) an alpine horn (so much fun to play!!!) 😈 and there is picture proof of this
      5) one or two obscure medieval instruments 8)

**Note: A shakuhachi is a Japanese bamboo flute.

I got the guitar for $100.00, do you think I got it for a good price?

I also used to play recorder, clarinet, and flute, but gave up on those!

SPark
      Participant

I play piano, and used to play the clarinet. I’ve thought about learning guitar, especially since getting more into rock music as I get older.

$100 is an excellent price for a guitar in good condition.

My father is a Luthier. He makes both electic *at home as a hobby* and accoustic guitars *for a living*. Here he is with a ukulele he just finished makeing for my aunt, as a surprise!

and here is the company website…
        http://www.merrill-and-company.com/home.php
        Its really just 3 guys in a shop making guitars. ha! But they retail high, 5 to 14 grand or so.
        They are basically copies of 1930s Martin’s.

And while dad plays guitar, I don’t. I have tried, but my arms are too short. Dad and I are going to try to take Madolin lessions soon. We both own one. I did play trumpet for 2 years…but that is it.

Jodi
        Participant

I don’t play guitar, but I play violin a little. I’m going to take it up again seriously once I get through with graduation. However, I have lots of friends that play guitar and one that plays flute. My hubby plays mandolin and tin whistle, and we have a friend that plays guitar, mandolin, concertina, violin, and probably some other things too.

I think that guitar was a pretty good deal for $100. Especially if you’re happy about it. Congrats!

whippetluv wrote:

And while dad plays guitar, I don’t. I have tried, but my arms are too short. Dad and I are going to try to take Madolin lessions soon. We both own one. I did play trumpet for 2 years…but that is it.

Mandolin is what I’d like to get better at, but I’d like to learn it more by ear than by sheet music. This is just because after taking seven years of piano lessons I’m fed up with reading–I want to play, not decipher. But anyhow! Mandolin is a lot of fun, and I bet you’ll love it.

And it’s awesome that your dad makes guitars, Whippet! The ukulele looks gorgeous.

Chessapeaka wrote:

whippetluv wrote:

Mandolin is what I’d like to get better at, but I’d like to learn it more by ear than by sheet music. This is just because after taking seven years of piano lessons I’m fed up with reading–I want to play, not decipher. But anyhow! Mandolin is a lot of fun, and I bet you’ll love it.

And it’s awesome that your dad makes guitars, Whippet! The ukulele looks gorgeous.

Thanks! I am hoping that after I learn to play..he will Make me one! *crosses fingers*

100 for a Fender Stratocaster is generally considered a sweet deal, as far as I know! I have a Fender acoustic guitar and I love the rich sound it has ^_^ Sadly I am a few years out of practice at the moment but I have dabbled with guitar since I was a teenager πŸ˜€

Elena
          Participant

I playe Baritone (kind of a baby tuba) for 6 years while I was in school and learned to read music. I’d love to learn to play a Harp.

Lokie
            Participant

Congrats πŸ˜€ I don’t play an instrument, but it sure looks like fun (and hard work :wink:)

Skigod377
              Participant

Congrats KMD!! How awesome!! I dont play guitar, but my brother does. He is pretty good, too. Justin has one, but of course he does not play well or anything. Maybe a friend can give you lessons? Playing an instrument is an awesome accomplishment. I always wanted to learn piano. Congrats again!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.