Grab Bag question you asked on Facebook

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Grab Bag question you asked on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

I have to sat, Grab Bag Bat Eared Foxes are JUST what I have been waiting for!!! The Bat Ear is by FAR my favorite of all the foxes! I CAN’T WAIT!!! <3 <3 <3

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Falcolf
      Participant

Oh man… if you do bat eared foxes in GB I might be severely tempted again, since it has become evident that I require a full collection of pebbles. XD

Has anyone else looked at the bat eared fox and thought it would look stellar painted in serval colours/markings? 🙂

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Adaneth
        Participant

In my view, Grab Bags are not as special as they used to be. “Oh boy, another Grab Bag!” is shifting to “Oh man … another Grab Bag …” which is sad. I would much rather have production color red foxes, bat eared foxes, arctic foxes and wolves than have these pieces as Grab Bags (and this is even though I have accumulated a number of Arctic GBs).

However, it sounds as though most people are not suffering from Grab Bag Fatigue.

I’d also be happy to see some pebble critters and smaller Poads come out in the store that are NOT grab bags.

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

Has anyone else looked at the bat eared fox and thought it would look stellar painted in serval colours/markings? 🙂

YES YES YES YES!!!!

Got a busted Windstone?
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Tattoo Mother Kirin

chibishiro12
            Participant

YES YES YES YES!!!!

Double yes! It would be amazing.

Looking for-
              red fire young dragon
              old animal line frog, wolf, barn owl, tortoise, tiger cub

pipsxlch
              Participant

I’m not in a position to buy anything currently, so my opinion counts for zip really. But I’d love to see wolves again, almost more than bat ears. (no matter what it is, I’ll enjoy them very much vicariously, so please purchasers post pics of yours!) If/when I can buy again though, I’d like to see tans/ivories on all the pebbles, it really enhances the netsuke ‘feel’ of them. Even if I could buy at the moment, I’d wait if I knew that a ‘netsuke’ version was coming.

As for new pebbles, what about globular goldfish? Ones like bubbleyes, narial bouquets, ranchus and orandas. They have such a host of natural colors and patterns as well, and would (I think) lend themselves well to fantasy colors and patterns. Or does it even have to be real? What about pebble fantasy critters like baby dragons or griffins or suchlike?

KaytanaPhoenix
                Participant

In my view, Grab Bags are not as special as they used to be. “Oh boy, another Grab Bag!” is shifting to “Oh man … another Grab Bag …” which is sad. I would much rather have production color red foxes, bat eared foxes, arctic foxes and wolves than have these pieces as Grab Bags (and this is even though I have accumulated a number of Arctic GBs).

However, it sounds as though most people are not suffering from Grab Bag Fatigue.

I do agree with this… I haven’t been absolutely butt hurt lately because I have been waiting for the pebble foxes for ages, and super excited for them.. but if Bat Eared or Wolves come out in Dec, I likely won’t be able to buy one.. and that is a sad deal! Cause I really do want to get them in GB’s! But with the Holidays and all I have spent lately on Windstones, it’s a very realistic issue… and I don’t think I’m the only one facing this…

Personally I think a GB batch every 3-4 months would be great! They’re still special and fun then, Mel isn’t stressed painting them, collectors can recoup funds! and I can regain some sanity between batches with the whole trading portion of it (Which is a large part of the fun of GB’s, the trading.. but my goodness, I have been working with foxes only and I am burned out!) – I know Mel is trying to break up what the sculpts are.. but sadly, some of us like to collect everything o.o .. and that is very problematic with the wallet! Not to mention.. the very real issue many of us face, and that is not wanting to pry from the pc because we’re worried we’ll miss a GB batch, it would be very nice to go a couple months without needing to worry for 3 weeks in a row if I’m going to miss a GB batch or not, heh… lately it’s been “Yay I caught this one!” … *one week later* .. “Am I going to miss it?! or do I have time?! Someone ask Susie!” *50 people FLOOD Susie with questions about the GB’s* – I found it quite sad that I was really quite relieved when I decided to not try for a Baby Poad… I had one week where I was on Poad watch for a friend, and when she came back, I stopped paying attention to everything that had to do with them… I just needed to not think about them…

I really think Dec, and maybe even Jan should be skipped for GB’s, just so we can all concentrate on the Holidays 🙂 and those who want to buy Windstones anyway, have many to pick and choose from that are new production line pieces!!

Kim
                  Blocked

I also have been having a hard time keeping up with the grab bags because I have wanted just about every single one that’s come out. It takes a while for things to ship here to Canada so by the time we get them and try and trade it seems like another grab bag is coming out. I still have a red fox I was trying to trade or sell before the poads came out but maybe now I might try and trade it for a poad. If I sell a couple of my grab bags and the bat eared foxes aren’t too much, if they come out in Dec. or Jan. I would go for a couple to complete my little fox herd but I think after that I would cut myself off of grab bags for a few months to have a breather and break as Kaytana mentioned. I am sure people will still go for any production pieces and test paints that come out but yes with trying to trade grab bags every month and watching the computer constantly and trying to get in more money that I don’t have it has been a little stressful. So I guess my feeling is bring the last of the foxes out for those of us who have been waiting on the bat ears but maybe after that it might be good to have a break from grab bags until the spring, assuming not many others are planned or in the works yet. Maybe by the spring Melody could do wolves or the standing kirins if they have time to work out the pads on those ones.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

fatalbeauty
                    Participant

I’m fine with the monthly GBs, sure I can’t buy all of them I understand but the excitement of it all is fun too in seeing what others get if I can’t get one…I’m loving the variety to be honest, if I don’t have the money or it happens to be something I’m not into, I can wait for next month for something new….

4 things I'm looking for:
                      1. Mother Meerkat
                      2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                      3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                      4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

jmoore
                      Participant

I agree with fatalbeauty – I’m fine with the monthly grab bags. Even if I can’t/ don’t participate in one, I love seeing the great variety and how fun it is for someone to get one they love right out of the box. I guess I just personally prefer the one of a kind nature of the grab bags. I think waiting 3-4 months between each grab bag release is too long between. I guess I’m just not that patient! 🙂

Bullsquid
                        Participant

I agree that more frequent grab bags makes each piece a tiny bit less “special”, since they are less rare, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. More grab bags means more people get to enjoy one of a kind pieces painted by Melody who otherwise might not be able to afford one, such as a special Ebay piece.

While it is unfortunate when people who really want to buy a certain grab bag can’t afford one, I think that’s just a fact of collecting. Ultimately, buying pretty statues is a want, not a need. But for Windstone Editions, selling pretty statues IS a need, and I don’t think that it’s fair to them to ask that they not make grab bags until certain collectors have saved enough money to buy them. If grab bags sell out quickly every month, it means there are enough collectors who do have the money to buy them (How many people love Windstones but aren’t on the forum? Probably lots.), and that is good for Windstone.

Besides, with all the trading that goes on, now with multiple batches and different sculpts, even if you miss a grab bag, there is a good chance that you can trade for one from that batch later. I have had to pass on a few grab bags in the past for money reasons, but I always love seeing the photos that other collectors have posted.

etruscan
                          Participant

I agree that more frequent grab bags makes each piece a tiny bit less “special”, since they are less rare, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. More grab bags means more people get to enjoy one of a kind pieces painted by Melody who otherwise might not be able to afford one, such as a special Ebay piece.

While it is unfortunate when people who really want to buy a certain grab bag can’t afford one, I think that’s just a fact of collecting. Ultimately, buying pretty statues is a want, not a need. But for Windstone Editions, selling pretty statues IS a need, and I don’t think that it’s fair to them to ask that they not make grab bags until certain collectors have saved enough money to buy them. If grab bags sell out quickly every month, it means there are enough collectors who do have the money to buy them (How many people love Windstones but aren’t on the forum? Probably lots.), and that is good for Windstone.

Besides, with all the trading that goes on, now with multiple batches and different sculpts, even if you miss a grab bag, there is a good chance that you can trade for one from that batch later. I have had to pass on a few grab bags in the past for money reasons, but I always love seeing the photos that other collectors have posted.

I would agree with you except for three not-sold-out Grab Bags currently in the store (or two if you want to argue that 500 GB tadpoads never would have sold out). The Arctic Foxes and the baby Poads tell me that Windstone is exceeding their collector base and Grab Bags no longer bring the guaranteed infusion of cash that they once did. I cannot see that a longer space between Grab Bags would hurt people who want to have a special piece without paying ebay prices, and it might make it easier for them to get one.

I believe that Windstone has considered the social aspects of trading Grab Bags to be part of the whole “Grab Bag experience”. It sounds as though more frequent Grab Bags have made that less enjoyable also.

As a side note … Melody does most of the painting of Grab Bags, which means that she has less time available for sculpting, and I’m not sure that is a good long-term trade off either!

KaytanaPhoenix
                            Participant

I would agree with you except for three not-sold-out Grab Bags currently in the store (or two if you want to argue that 500 GB tadpoads never would have sold out). The Arctic Foxes and the baby Poads tell me that Windstone is exceeding their collector base and Grab Bags no longer bring the guaranteed infusion of cash that they once did. I cannot see that a longer space between Grab Bags would hurt people who want to have a special piece without paying ebay prices, and it might make it easier for them to get one.

I believe that Windstone has considered the social aspects of trading Grab Bags to be part of the whole “Grab Bag experience”. It sounds as though more frequent Grab Bags have made that less enjoyable also.

As a side note … Melody does most of the painting of Grab Bags, which means that she has less time available for sculpting, and I’m not sure that is a good long-term trade off either!

^^ That

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

I’m pretty sure we are just seeing a lot of grab bags at the moment because a lot of new sculpts are being introduced. I know if I had a new sculpture I’d test paint a bunch of ideas before settling on a production color, so with all these new pebbles, colts, poads, etc. I have noticed, once the grab bags make their debut, production colors HAVE been following. Example with the Grab Bag Mini Keepers, Colts, and Tad Poads that have been coming out in production/limited production colors now that the introduction of the new sculpture has come and gone. I don’t think we should discourage Melody’s creativity if she wants to paint a few grab bag batches first to see how she wants to release the sculpt in the future. It’s impossible to make everyone happy, and thoughthe holidays are coming up and we all have limited money, we can also request them as gifts as well. Just my 2 cents about it. I’m pretty tight on money myself right now, but I still look forward to grabs bags as much as ever. I’m pretty confident the seemingly LOADS of grab bags will die down and production colors will come out secondary to the sculpt inital introduction. ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Melody
                                Keymaster

I have been painting 40+ more of the foxes and baby poads than we need . We almost always quickly sell around 125 of any grab bag piece, so I have been doing about 160-180, thinking that it would be good to not have them sell out instantly, not have limits on the number you could purchase, and be able to keep them in the store for a while longer!
                                  Eh, maybe that is backfiring by giving the impression that they don’t sell. ( the red foxes sold out anyway)

I just looked again at the class pic of Arctic foxes, I painted over 200 of those! No wonder there are still over 10 left.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.