fbpx

Fixing my busted momma griff (pic heavy)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Fixing my busted momma griff (pic heavy)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bayoudragon
    Participant

I finally get my hands on one of these, and of course, it arrives broken. ๐Ÿ™

Photobucket

It’s kinda ironic that she broke where she did. One look at her and I thought… yep, that’s me. My nest is broken, and I’m losing footing (Yeh, I know it’s corny, but that’s how things have been lately. The renovations on my condo have stalled, and I’ve simply got no momentum going. Sometimes it feels like I’m never going to get out of this place). I’ve been meaning to fix a few pieces that have some little chips and dings first before I attempted something big, but I could so hear her screaming, “FIX ME! NOW!” So I did. ๐Ÿ™‚

Started playing puzzle and glued four big talon pieces together.
      Photobucket

Pieces were still shearing off the base… pieces that hadn’t completely pulled away from the main sculpture. I had to clean it up and organize the mess before I went any further. From left to right — three slivers glued together, bulk of the talons comprised of 7 pieces, some misc shards, and a whole bunch of inner unpainted gypsum.
      Photobucket

Attached the talons and a couple other little pieces. It looks so much better with the toes on. LOL.
      IMG_06191

Inserted the little slivers… about 6 shards total (what I could find anyway).
      IMG_06211

Decided I was going leave out the inner gypsum (for sanity and simplicity) and pack it with apoxie sculpt (to interlock the pieces and give it strength). The felt pad was completely FUBAR… totally shredded by the shards, so off it came.
      Photobucket

bayoudragon
      Participant

Here she is all glued and ready for some sculpting.
        IMG_06221

Small feather and lip resculpted and textured.
        Photobucket

Leaf resculpt and various parts of the nest and base.
        Photobucket

Photobucket

Bottom packed with apoxie sculpt and smoothed.
        Photobucket

Now I have to try and match paint. >.< LOL

dragonmedley
        Participant

She’s going to be perfect!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Amy
          Participant

Wow, BD, you’re doing a great job. If that had arrived in my mailbox I would have been far too intimidated to try and fix it. I can’t believe it’s the same piece.

Scathach
            Participant

Awesome job! She’s going to be magnificent.

Life is beautiful.

Shotzy11
              Participant

Wonderful job!! That’s amazing!!

bayoudragon
                Participant

Thanks all! It was a little intimidating at first. In fact, the hubby said he was actually proud that I dove right in and didn’t give up (I was REALLY upset when I first pulled her out of the box… REALLY UPSET… LOL).

I couldn’t wait until tomorrow. I had to finish her tonight. I am very pleased with how she turned out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got rid of that weird spot on her egg, too.
                  Photobucket

All finished! She is now one of my favorite pieces. ๐Ÿ™‚
                  Photobucket

KaytanaPhoenix
                  Participant

Fantastic job repairing! I would have cried if she arrived to me like that! as it was, I was tempted to cry when my gargoyle uni decided the top part of one of her leaves decided to sheer off… small damage, and happened at home, after she was on a wild (and COMPLETELY unsafe) road trip with 4 other gargoyles… I’m amazed the whole batch of them didn’t show up like this, to be honest!

Your girl is good as new though! ๐Ÿ™‚

Amy
                    Participant

I can’t even tell she was ever broken! You are awesome, girl! Congratulations to you!

Puffpastryofdoom
                      Participant

That’s crazy! Based off of the final photos, I would have NEVER thought that she had ever been broken! -That’s seriously incredible!

Great job, sadly my girl is still not finished, but she’s mine & I’ve been busy fixing other people’s goodies. How did you match the paint? Gargoyle color frustrates me, Melody sent me paint to match, but it doesn’t match. YOu did such a good job matching, I thought I’d ask.

Kyrin

Falcolf
                        Participant

This is so amazing, beautiful repair work – I can’t even tell where you repaired her any more! Gorgeous!

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Wow! I could never have done such a fantastic job. You can’t even tell it was ever broken!
                          Pretty sure I would have just sat there are cried, lol.

Adaneth
                          Participant

Fantastic work! She looks perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚

etruscan
                            Participant

Wonderful repair job. I hope that you two will be very happy together! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.