Finally! Something GOOD for a change!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Finally! Something GOOD for a change!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I finally have some really good news to post about for a change! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
    It’s funny how things work once you have a chance to sit back and think on it.

Knowing we were going to lose Flurry, I’d started looking into other breeds of dog to find a new dog to help us feel better.
    I had decided on the Pembroke Welsh Corgis, since everything I’d read about them pointed to them being more like a big dog than a little one. I had found the website for the state’s chapter club for the breed, and had sent an email to their “puppy placement coordinator”, giving her our background, and mentioned that we weren’t necessarily looking for a pup, and that we’d actually prefer a young adult that needed a new home. She responded, and wrote that the club was meeting on Jan. 9, and we were welcomed to attend, but if not then she would pass our info on to the club. We couldn’t go to the meeting, because it was George’s birthday, and we were going to my folks’ place for dinner. So later that night when we got home, there was a voicemail from the puppy lady asking me to give her a call, that she thought she had some news that we’d be interested in. I called her back on Sunday evening, and she gave me the info for a breeder in north NJ. I called the breeder that night, and she told me that she had a 20 month old female who is technically a rescue. She’d been sold to someone who was supposed to keep her as a house dog, but instead she ended up spending her time in the kennel, so the breeder took her back. As a result, the dog is shy, but if food is involved she warms up quickly. She also told me that all she was interested in was finding a good forever home for the dog.
    So, last Thursday evening we went to visit and meet Maggie. We came bearing gifts–a box of biscuits, and the leash and travel crate, just in case. We sat and chatted with the breeder, who asked all the right questions about us and our home and she was very up front about Maggie. She’s shy and a little skittish which is not the norm for a Corgi. She’s also small for the breed–she only weighs 18 pounds. She’d been back at the breeder’s place since November, and they’d been doing a lot of work with her to help her get more socialized and felt it was time she found a new home before she got more bonded with them.
    After getting to know Maggie a little bit, we decided we could make a go of it with her. So Maggie came home with us that night, and I couldn’t be happier!! She’s red and white, and just a total snugglebug. She’s never seen a cat before, so we’re working on the idea that cats are not dog toys. πŸ˜€ Luckily our cats are dog friendly and very tolerant. And Whims, AKA Monstah Kitteh is bigger than Maggie. We have a 30 day trial period. If she doesn’t work out for any reason, she can be returned to the breeder with no questions asked. I’m thinking that’s not gonna happen, since she’s settled in and is just a wonderful little dog. πŸ˜€ I’ve never had a small dog of my own–all the dogs we’ve had for the last 25 years have been good sized–Dalmatians, Australian Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, so this is a totally new experience for me.

Once I get off the crutches, (which will hopefully be tomorrow after my doctor’s visit!) I’m really looking for to taking Maggie for formal obedience training with my old trainer. She is *extremely* intelligent, and it doesn’t take me more than 2 or 3 times to teach her something. In short, she’s literally just what the doctor ordered as far as my husband is concerned. He is totally hooked, and she had him at “hello”. 8) I am just so happy (for a change!) He came home from work early so he could spend a little more time with the dog. He’s already gotten her to jump up on the couch with him.
    Now…if I could only find my camera. George put it down somewhere in the house after he took pictures of the curlie, and doesn’t remember where. And I haven’t been able to locate the darned thing. 😳 As soon as I do, I’ll try to post pictures of both Maggie and the curlie.

Which picture hosting sites are best?

LadyFirebird
    Participant

Congrats! This is good news! Now I’m the opposite of you–always had small dogs but have dreamed of larger dogs. Small dogs are fun–mine sleep with me and the Italian Greyhound gets under the covers and snuggles as close to me as he can [to the point of ‘pushing’ me off the bed once πŸ˜† ]. There was a time I was considering a Corgi–big dog in a small dog’s body. You can play freebie with them and I’m sure this little baby will whiz through obedience class! They’re smart–maybe too smart for their own good sometimes! πŸ˜†

So will look forward to seeing pics of the new baby! πŸ˜€

Adaneth
      Participant

That’s just wonderful. Hope Maggie works out great for you guys! πŸ˜€

(And hurrah on getting off crutches!)

siberakh1
        Participant

Oh excellent! Drag0nfeathers also has a Pembroke Welsh Corgi (his name is Ein… yes, Cowboy Bebop) and my cousin in Iowa raises them. Like terriers, they really are a lot of dog in a small package and they have a big dog bark (our sheltie was the same way… his bark was definitely not a yippy bark at all). They are independent and smart (typical of the herding breeds) and because of what they were raised to do, they do have a tendency to nip at the ankles (that is how they work cattle to make them move, plus they were short enough to not get kicked). Nothing super rough, but it does get your attention (which is the whole idea).

I use photobucket to host pictures, but there are other sites out there. Pictures I really don’t want everyone and their mother on the photobucket just glancing through, I lock the folder down and password protect it if necessary, but I can still post the image links out if I just want to share specific photos on a forum.

Can’t wait to see pictures of your new little furkid. I hope she works out (sounds like things are going well so far). πŸ™‚

LadyFirebird
          Participant

Ah–to address the hosting site question–I use ImageShack and it works well for me–I’m not exactly the big computer whiz or photo pro. I seem to be able to upload and then post on the forum without too much problem. Jen had posted some hosting sites in one of her threads telling you how to post pics on the forum. I think I found it in the Introductory section–but she names some hositng sites. Hope that helps.

Maria
            Participant

“Cats not being dog toys” – haha! πŸ˜† I bet those lessons would make some LOLdog-worthy videos.
              Congrats on the new doggie!

megamibabe16
              Participant

I am happy for you, and it is great that Maggie has found a good home with you. Hopefully she gets used to the cats quickly.

Jasmine
                Participant

How wonderful. I hope Maggie has found her forever home.

darjeb
                  Participant

CONGRATULATIONS that is wonderful. Since I lost Tristen (chow) last April I have not had a pet but Tristen’s breeder sent me an email when I notified her of losing him and she said she had a little girl named Stella just waiting for me when I am ready and I think I am just about there.

siberakh1
                    Participant

darjeb wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS that is wonderful. Since I lost Tristen (chow) last April I have not had a pet but Tristen’s breeder sent me an email when I notified her of losing him and she said she had a little girl named Stella just waiting for me when I am ready and I think I am just about there.

That’s fantastic to hear! πŸ™‚ No one can replace Tristen (or any furkid), but it’s nice when another little furkid can share your life with you and add some more joy. πŸ™‚

Lokie
                      Participant

Congrats on the new family member! πŸ™‚

I use photobucket, too. So far, I have no complaints about it. You can set albums to public or private and there’s even a password option.

Good for you, Darjeb! I know how much you loved Tristen. The best cure for a broken heart is puppy breath, even if the “puppy” is an older dog. πŸ˜€ You can’t replace them when they leave, but you can fill up the hole in your heart with another furbaby to love. I’m glad to hear you’re thinking of a new baby. George and I have been so much happier with Maggie here. The house isn’t quite so empty or quiet any more.

On another note, I saw the doctor yesterday morning, and he decided I needed to stay in the hard cast for another 2 weeks, dammit! πŸ™„ πŸ™„ He promised that the next visit would see me out of the cast and into a walking boot. So, 2 more weeks of crutches. 😈 I’m beginning to feel like a groundhog; instead of 8 more weeks of winter, it’s 2 more weeks of cast and crutches. Phooey!
                        Ah well…..better to play it safe and “behave” than to screw up the leg worse, end up needing surgery and being on crutches for a much longer time, I guess. *SIGH*

Adaneth
                        Participant

Awwww, she’s precious! πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.