Female Dogs Vs Male Dogs – What's Your Opinion?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Female Dogs Vs Male Dogs – What's Your Opinion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dragoneer_88
    Participant

I’m looking for another puppy. I’ve been around female dogs my entire life and I’m wondering what having a male dog would be like. Are they more or less protective? Is it easier to build a bond with males or females? Etc.

In my own experience, my sweet Babygirl (chiweenie dog) was protective of me, cautious of strangers, she was a calm natured dog, and closely bonded to me and only me. To me it seems males are friendlier to strangers and females make you work for their effection like a cat. My sister’s dog, is a male (boston terrier). He’s everybody’s best friend and basically has two speeds, sleep and tornado mode. My sister-in-law’s dog is a female miniature poodle and is terrified of everyone but her owner. My in-laws have a male dog that prefers the company of human women. I know different breeds have different personalities too, but I’m curious about the male vs female aspect. Is there a difference or is it the dog’s individual personality?

Natasha
      Participant

I’ve had both many times in my life. As long as they are properly spayed/neutered I never saw a difference.

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
        ANY Red Eyed Unis
        ANY Test Paint Bat
        UNIS:
        The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
        Male- Snow Leopard TP
        White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
        Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
        Mother: Okapi
        Gothic - Mahogany
        PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
        DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Ela_Hara
        Participant

I’ve had both as well throughout my life (3 female/2 male – not at the same time!) and I think as long as they are properly trained and socialized either one is fine.

The only difference I experienced was my past and current Male dogs may have been/are a bit more protective of me and the household overall, and barked a little more – although not excessively.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

JynXx
          Participant

I’ve had male and female dogs all my life. At one point, we had 6 [3 female and 3 male], all together 🙂 The breeds I’m familiar with are one person/one family dogs: Australian Shepherds, Australian Cattle Dogs [aka Queensland/Blue Heelers], Pit Bull Terriers, Lab/Boxer mix, Lab/Husky mix, and a Golden Retriever.

In my experience, female dogs are more independent, and can be somewhat aloof depending on the breed and individual personality. Male dogs tend to stick closer, and are generally more affectionate and eager to please [also depending on breed and individual personality]. Both are very protective, so they’re equal to me in that regard. With new strangers, neither gender have been real friendly, though over time, both have been won over [depending on the individual and the person]. Barking is a learned habit, and an individual trait─it’s not definitive of male or female. The only exception, was a male Golden Retriever from my childhood, who was extremely aloof but friendly to strangers, and wasn’t protective at all. He also rarely barked.

↞↞≪∙ FOREVER SEEKING •↟•

• ► By Patricia Smith ◄ •
            ☙ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
            ✾ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
            ✾ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

• ► By Melody ◄ •
            ☙ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
            ☙ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
            ☙ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

StormDancer
            Participant

For me I have always had females. I have trained both though so I have dealt with both in what I have personally done and in working on cattle ranches around several male dogs. Dogs act differently at the vet they they do in a home environment so I wont comment on my vet tech experiences here.

I find females to be more alert and intense. They may not usually act as protective as some males can, but when they need to be protective they tend to be quicker and fiercer. I think its the mothering instinct in them. Mine have all been highly alert and while even seeming to be sound asleep they are actually very aware of what is going on around them. The breeds I like are mastiff types and they tend to be one person/one family dogs. They tend to be very aloof to anyone except me although they will play with my husband when he comes home every other week or so. I also have had boxers, an Olde English Bulldogge and an Australian Shepard/Great Dane. My dogs are/were working dogs and I find that the females tend to learn faster than the males. Not because they are smarter but the females seem to mature mentally a bit younger than the males.

Family members (grandparents, bothers and parents) all had/have males. They were of several different breeds and they tended to be more goofy. They warmed up to new people faster. I fully agree with JinXx about the barking, it is something that they learn to do according to your reaction to it. Although some guard type breeds will “alert” if they hear something that they don’t think is right regardless of training.

As for affection I think both are the same, it really just depends on the individual dog. Just like people, some want to be loved on and others prefer that they have some distance between themselves and others, at least until they get to know you.

So when looking for a new puppy talk to the breeder or whoever has been around the puppy the most and ask about the pups personality. Some are cuddly love bugs from day one and others want to be independent and explore the world. There is a wide range of personality in each litter. If you are rescuing a dog from a rescue then talk to the people who work with the dogs, they will have studied each dogs personality and be able to steer you in the direction of a dog they think would work best for you. Go with the one that you connect with, male or female really doesn’t matter in the long run.

Good luck!

Looking for:
              "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Kim
              Blocked

I have had both male and female dogs but mostly female.  Years ago we had 3 smaller female mixed breed dogs that were rescues and then rescued a male border collie from the pound.  Out the females, one terrier mix was friendly and playful, one chihuahua mix was timid and scared of other people and one spaniel mix was a bit aloof, probably because we inherited her from my grandma who passed away and she was loyal to her.  The border collie was crazy hyper as border collies are, super friendly and playful, very protective of my mom and I and did not like men at all.  We think he may have been abused by a man as he would bark at them aggressively and try and nip at them if they wore a uniform or hat.  I find with other male dogs and even male cats that I have, the males tend to be more playful and friendly, the females more independent or stick to their owner more than being friendly to other people.  Both are loyal and both can be protective but our male was more protective and acted more like a guard dog with strangers who came up to the house.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Dragoneer_88
                Participant

So, I got a puppy. I got her from someone selling a small litter of puppies 2 hours away. Anyway, she was the only female. The litter was her and her brother. I didn’t get to meet the seller at their house and spend time with the other puppy she had or see how they interacted with each other and patents. Having now spent a few hours with the new puppy, I’ve got a gage on her temperment. She’s mega fearful and all she wants to do is be held and hide in a blanket. She won’t play or explore. She’s very young to be acting like that isn’t she? Any idea what’s wrong or what I should do to help her. I know she’ll never be like me sweet Babygirl, but it’s painful to see her so terrified of the world. My Babygirl was never afraid of anything, even when she was a puppy. She was brave, bold, happy, and curious.

StormDancer
                  Participant

Congratulations! I’m glad you’ve found a new family member.

You need to remember that to her everything is brand new and it can take new puppies a couple of weeks to adjust to mum and her brother no longer being there with her. As hard as it is to leave her be, for now,  give her time to settle into your home. Give her a crate or a box that she can call her own and put a shirt you’ve worn during the day in with her. Then just let her sleep and relax for a day or two. Once she starts to feel safer and more at home she will become more puppy like. She is going to be worried and upset and missing her old life for a bit, even we would, if faced with the same situation. Give her time, soon she will be following you around.

Also remember dogs are super smart and better at training us than we are at training them.  Patience and kindness  will help her more than anything. What you allow now will be what she expects thru life. So any boundaries you are going to want her to have later in life, it’s best to start her on those now. Such as the shoes, socks, rugs and electronic cords are not edible. And for my dogs I have always taught them once we go to bed, it’s bedtime not play time. The first few nights they tend to whine and bark but after 3 or 4 nights  they figure out that making noise after bedtime is ignored.

You’ll soon find a path that works for you both. Just give yourself and her some time and patience.

Good luck!

Looking for:

Kim
                    Blocked

What breed is she?  I find smaller breed dogs can be really timid and fearful and bigger breed dogs tend to be more friendly and playful, but it depends on the dog.  If she is very young she could be fearful for says until she gets used to you and the new environment and come around.  It could take weeks to see her real personality.  Even with my cats my friendliest kitten turned out to be more mellow when he was older and the most shy kitten truned into the friendliest so you don’t always know how they will be if you judge them when they are very young.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Courtney
                      Participant

Male dogs.

For the simple fact that they are less expensive to neuter.

Otherwise there is little difference. We’ve had/have a great many dogs in our family.

Biggest factor is breed and what stock it’s bred from. Do your research to get the breed that’s best for your lifestyle.

Buy from a well known/respected breeder to avoid genetic health issues and abuse.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Dragoneer_88
                        Participant

This is her. She’s a chiweenie like my last dog. She’s comfortable with people…too comfortable in that all she wants to do is be held nonstop. She’ll whine until someone picks her up and she won’t leave her puppy pad and explore. I know she’s young and it’s not fair to compare her to my Babygirl, but sometimes it happens. I had hoped she’d be like Babygirl and help heal my shattered heart, but she’s obviously nothing like her. That doesn’t mean that I won’t love her. I just don’t want her to be fearful. Fear could turn into aggression later. She needs a lot of work to be a confident dog. However, maybe she never will be due to genetics. I feel bad for her.

Ela_Hara
                          Participant

AAAaaaaaawwwwwhhhh! So Sweet!
                            Don’t worry – I’m sure she’ll come around and get bolder. As others have pointed out she’s missing brother and mama right now and feeling uncertain. The same happened with my past pups and especially with my little Hunter – he’ll be 10 months old tomorrow! He was a scaredy-cat and whined a bit for a week or two until he learned our routine with him. Then he got better and is not afraid much anymore. I do know what you mean about fear turning into aggression though. Hunter and his brother and Mom were Kill Shelter rescues and we think he had some bad experiences before we got him, and he does show a few signs of aggression on occasion. We just keep being as consistent as possible in correcting him to make him understand that his aggression is not okay for our ‘Pack’… he’s learning.

Good Luck with you new fur baby!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

StormDancer
                            Participant

She is adorable. How old is she?

It will take a few weeks for her real personality to come out. Right now, think of it like this, If YOU were 4 or 5 years old and someone took you away from your family, tried speaking to you in a foreign language and then put you into an entirely new environment, just how outgoing and playful would you be at first?

They have some new studies out with dogs showing that they need to be with their moms for a minimum of  8 weeks before going to a new home. The large breeds actually do best if they can stay with their moms until they are 10-12 weeks old.

Other things to consider, if she was raised outside or in a garage, then being inside a house is completely new to her. Her trip to you may have also been her very first car ride. Things that we don’t take into consideration can be upsetting her. Things like a TV or radio can sound like someone yelling at her. So keep those turned down low for a week or two until she gets used to them. And most new pups will whine at first until things become normal for them. The crate or box I mentioned in my earlier post works as a den for them, however that can take them a while to get used to. Place her into it with a towel and one of your shirts ( I suggest you wear old cheap t shirts for the next few weeks so if she chews on one, it wont be the end of the world). She is going to cry but the best thing you can do is ignore her until she gets quiet. If you feel sorry for her and break down and take her out to comfort her while she is crying she will learn that crying gets her what she wants.

This also works at night for housebreaking them, place her into her box or crate and ignore the crying, she will eventually fall asleep. Then if she starts to cry later, you will know that she needs to be let out. Take her outside, let her do her thing and then praise her for taking care of her business. Then right back into her bed she goes. Generally within a week or two you will have a pup that sleeps thru the majority of the night.

As for confidence I think you will find once she figures out that she is in a safe place she will become more confident as time goes on. Just give her the gift of time and patience. Puppies whine, they whine about just about everything at first so try not to rush over each time  she whines. Let her start to work some things out on her own. For me when mine whines ( I also just rescued a 11 week old cane Corso Pup) I make a point of checking that she isn’t asking to be let out, then I stand back and watch her work though whatever has her attention. Generally she takes her time approaching whatever it is and pretty soon she either ignores it or turns it into a game. I ignore any whining that isn’t related to asking to go outside and I praise any efforts to explore, as long as the exploring doesn’t involve teeth on the furniture or electrical cords.  Your pup is still young enough she is mostly whining because she expects mom to come running up to save her from the new environment she is in.

The 9 month old Cane Corso pup I adopted 2 months ago spent her first 3 days behind the couch just watching how the household worked and kinda working out what my schedule was. Cane Corsos are very well known for high confidence levels but even they need time to adjust and Kieva is much older than your puppy. Now Kieva is a ball of fire and super confident. All dogs no matter their age need a grace period to adjust. A baby pup like yours will usually take a longer time as EVERYTHING is new to them.

Just be sure to get your new pup to the vet as she will need a series of puppy shots over the next 3 months to ensure she is protected from viruses before you introduce her to a new area or any new dogs.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Looking for:

Dragoneer_88
                              Participant

She’s only 6 weeks, unfortunately. I didn’t know that until I met the seller. Supposedly the puppies had been kept inside their house. I named her Reese because of her peanut butter chocolate color. She’s the size of a toilet paper role so I imagine I must be like an intimidating moving mountain to her. It’s been so long since I’ve been around puppies. I was only a teen when I got Babygirl so I’m not sure what’s normal. I just know Babygirl, even at her young age, was almost fearless.

So far Reese attempts to play, but she likes to bite when she does and she’ll only play if she’s on the puppy pad. Ewe! She must have been confined to a small area because she’s afraid to leave the puppy pad. That’s the only place she feels comfortable…aside from my lap. She tries to tear her puppy pad apart too.

Linda
                                Participant

I have a chiweenie and it look more like a wire hair dachshund now. I got her right when we redid our kitchen. Here i have a 6 week old baby pup and they are making all this noise and I know it should be quite. So I kept her in the bedroom with me and only took her out to go outside. At first she wanted to be on my lap all the time and I did have her there a lot because of the noise, but at night  I would put her down and she started to look around but, it took a while. Have you put her down somewhere else like the bed room? Does she go right back to the puppy pad? I found that if I gave her a sock to chew on and if she was chewing something else I would take it away and give her the sock. Not she has a box filled with toys she drag all over the house. I wish you luck with your new baby.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.