Feasibility of pre-pay?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Feasibility of pre-pay?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    tig3r06
    Participant

I don’t disagree with fatal about the “what will I get” appeal of grab bags, but just throwing this into the discussion … There are people who refuse to participate in the grab bags because they don’t want to spend that much money for a piece they might not like.

Trading gets expensive and can be frustrating so they simply stay out. Is there any way to bring them (and their money) in?

Yes: more limited edition colors, on a regular basis, with the same frequency of grab bags!
      Instead of 100-200 one of a kind pieces in a grab bag, make 10-20 schemes in a theme only (for example, 15 “winter” foxes, or a dozen “floral” fledglings), and say X amount will be made of each of them.
      Set it up like the below page, and say people can only buy one, or one of each, or whatever other restriction, if any.
      https://windstoneeditions.com/product-category/individual-cougars/

This doesn’t have to replace grab bags, as some people like to be doom and gloom and say things should only be sold one way or another. It is a way to allow people to get new items and know what it will be. If people don’t like not having an OOAK, don’t buy it.

I do wish more limited production was made for everyone. It’s always fun to see new paints and sculpts so I hope that might happen. We always get consistent grab bags, which I love, but taking a break to do something different would be nice for people who don’t love grab bags. Ive saw lots of squeaks for new colors of unis, pegs, and kirins so I feel that would definitely be a crowd pleaser.

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

I don’t disagree with fatal about the “what will I get” appeal of grab bags, but just throwing this into the discussion … There are people who refuse to participate in the grab bags because they don’t want to spend that much money for a piece they might not like.

Trading gets expensive and can be frustrating so they simply stay out. Is there any way to bring them (and their money) in?

Yes: more limited edition colors, on a regular basis, with the same frequency of grab bags!
        Instead of 100-200 one of a kind pieces in a grab bag, make 10-20 schemes in a theme only (for example, 15 “winter” foxes, or a dozen “floral” fledglings), and say X amount will be made of each of them.
        Set it up like the below page, and say people can only buy one, or one of each, or whatever other restriction, if any.
        https://windstoneeditions.com/product-category/individual-cougars/

This doesn’t have to replace grab bags, as some people like to be doom and gloom and say things should only be sold one way or another. It is a way to allow people to get new items and know what it will be. If people don’t like not having an OOAK, don’t buy it.

I do wish more limited production was made for everyone. It’s always fun to see new paints and sculpts so I hope that might happen. We always get consistent grab bags, which I love, but taking a break to do something different would be nice for people who don’t love grab bags. Ive saw lots of squeaks for new colors of unis, pegs, and kirins so I feel that would definitely be a crowd pleaser.

I would echo this from tig3r. I still would love to see some limited production attention paid to the adult Uni Family, Pegs, and Kirins. Pastel Rainbow and Blue Morpho are two colors I think are under utilized for such… Black unis, pegs, and kirins with blue manes, wings, scales or pastel rainbow with the same. Yes please!

Instead of a pre-buy maybe polls would be a better solution? Polls to select the next limited production color and sculpture combination or something like that. I know lots of forums have the option to post polls. Not sure if this one does, but I’m sure it’s something that could be done and it’s something that would require US to do the work. Melody and team can just look at the results and go by those to help decide which projects take priority. No extra work or headaches for them, which is what I like.

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

fatalbeauty
        Participant

polls sound good, then all Susie and Melody have to do is look and see what everyone wants…..

4 things I'm looking for:
          1. Mother Meerkat
          2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
          3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
          4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Courtney
          Participant

Polls would be great. That way we can get non grab bag items prioritized. I super want Ori’s in any production colors and I know others do too.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

etruscan
            Participant

All the recent Windstone polls that I have seen have been on Facebook. Many people are not on Facebook, so another site would be better.

Courtney
              Participant

Melody could post a link under its own post and let people vote.

Setsunawolf
                Participant

Or use something like survey monkey. It’s already set up to probably do whatever it is Windstone needs.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                  Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                  Sun Dragon Koi #3

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

I agree that I don’t think the polls should be hosted exclusively on Facebook. The survey monkey might be a good idea because a link can be posted both here and Facebook and they results can be from both areas, however I’m not sure if you are allowed to vote more than once if it’s done like that… I’ve never done it so I don’t know the specifics.

Another forum I am on has polls right on their site like they are each their own topic and each forum member gets 1 vote per topic.

For example there could be a poll that says to pick a combination of sculpture and color to be the next limited production… this is just an example…

blue morpho kirin
                    pastel rainbow kirin
                    prismatic spring kirin
                    blue morpho unicorns
                    pastel rainbow unicorns
                    prismatic spring unicorns
                    blue morpho pegasus
                    pastel rainbow pegasus
                    prismatic spring Pegasus

Then people vote for a select period of time, and then based on the results Windstone can see what we’re most interested in. They could also potentially use the amount of votes to have a rough idea of how many should be produced depending on popularity.

Alternatively, a new section could be added to the forum called “POLLS” where the topics are all exclusively JUST polls that Melody posts (basing the poll questions off of her inside knowledge of inventory on particular sculptures that are already cast or being cast), and new polls can be added as new topics as needed. Perhaps to start off, one poll for each sculpture type with only colors listed as the choices for members to pick from to see what is the most popular color selection for each sculpture type. This would give the opportunity to cast several votes, one for each sculpture type on topic and the color you want to see it in next.

Seems like the most bang to give feedback with the most minimal amount of inconvenience on Windstone’s part. Clay would probably be the one who would have to do most of the work.

The squeak thread is nice, but suggestions have a tendency to get buried. This would be a more organized way to see actual majority votes cast by members in real time that can help Windstone plan future releases by.

Got a busted Windstone?
                    drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin
                    Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                    Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                    Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                    Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                    Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                    Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kujacker
                    Participant

Polls would be great. That way we can get non grab bag items prioritized. I super want Ori’s in any production colors and I know others do too.

I’ve been waiting for the PYO Oriental to come back in stock for what seems like years. I have, quite honestly, given up hope that he will ever be restocked. Basically I feel that windstone should just remove the items completely from their catalog if it’s going to be an out of stock for as long as some of these items are. It’s almost like being taunted with something. “We CAN make this item… but will we ever? Probably not lol”

On that note, for me, it’s amazingly frustrating that the orientals in general are so neglected.

That all being said, I understand windstone is a small business. But when you see all these grab bags coming out one after another, and you KNOW they take a lot of time and effort to make for everyone involved, it makes you wonder why so much time is being taken up/dedicated to them when it could be used for other items. I just don’t feel like it’s a good use of time honestly. Especially when other items are being requested for restocking that never see the light of day. Balance is key.

Setsunawolf
                      Participant

I know the orientals are difficult to cast. At Least the the older ones are. I suspect it’s why we don’t see them as often. Finding a balance is important, but keep in mind the grab bags are a very quick infusion of cash. As a company, particularly in these uncertain times, Windstone needs to do what’s best financially to keep the company afloat.

However, that frustration you just identified is why I suggested figuring out a way for Windstone to figure out what the demand is for a certain item so they can be better in control of inventory. Think of all the Kickstarters or Worms and Bones for example, that have an offering, get their numbers, then people wait for their items and are happy to do so because they know the item is coming. Windstone could do a poll, get an solid idea of how many they need to produce, and then go from there.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Kujacker
                        Participant

I know the orientals are difficult to cast. At Least the the older ones are. I suspect it’s why we don’t see them as often. Finding a balance is important, but keep in mind the grab bags are a very quick infusion of cash. As a company, particularly in these uncertain times, Windstone needs to do what’s best financially to keep the company afloat.

However, that frustration you just identified is why I suggested figuring out a way for Windstone to figure out what the demand is for a certain item so they can be better in control of inventory. Think of all the Kickstarters or Worms and Bones for example, that have an offering, get their numbers, then people wait for their items and are happy to do so because they know the item is coming. Windstone could do a poll, get an solid idea of how many they need to produce, and then go from there.

Yes, I remember how they mentioned them being difficult to cast. However, I recall them also mentioning that the newer orientals were sculpted in such a way to prevent that. Or is my memory just off?
                          Either way, if that’s the case, and as much as I love the orientals, perhaps windstone should permanently discontinue them instead of having them around but never actually producing them. I mean, it’s essentially the same thing if they never get around to making them.

Yes and no about the grab bags. They are all individually painted instead of just the same color scheme across the board. This reflects in their price tag as well. As a generalization, they’re about 100% more expensive than their non-grab bag counterparts. And since they’re all painted to be not the same, that takes more time (as well as having a lot of brush details instead of purely airbrush. Personally I’d think they take twice as long, or longer, to paint than a standard production piece). The thing grab bags have as a plus is that they seem to be guaranteed to sell, and yes, in these times that’s what a company needs.
                          Disclaimer: I don’t pay too much attention to the grab bags as I will never ever purchase one. This is just the information I’ve gathered here and there from just seeing the posts about them so it might be off.

I know of Worms and Bones, but I never really looked into their business or kickstarters (didn’t know they did KS). Just looked at their dolls. However, with what you said makes sense from anyone’s stand point I’d think. I’m happy to pay for something and then wait because I will eventually get it. I’m currently waiting on an artdoll right now and it has been almost 5 months, but I’ll get him eventually and I’m fine waiting (but he’s being custom made, not mass produced).
                          (exceptions to everything. Lots of impatient people out there)

LZ
                          Participant

I’ve been waiting for the PYO Oriental to come back in stock for what seems like years. I have, quite honestly, given up hope that he will ever be restocked. Basically I feel that windstone should just remove the items completely from their catalog if it’s going to be an out of stock for as long as some of these items are. It’s almost like being taunted with something. “We CAN make this item… but will we ever? Probably not lol”

On that note, for me, it’s amazingly frustrating that the orientals in general are so neglected.

That all being said, I understand windstone is a small business. But when you see all these grab bags coming out one after another, and you KNOW they take a lot of time and effort to make for everyone involved, it makes you wonder why so much time is being taken up/dedicated to them when it could be used for other items. I just don’t feel like it’s a good use of time honestly. Especially when other items are being requested for restocking that never see the light of day. Balance is key.

This all day! The bantams came out in old production colors almost immediately, and the year-old sitting ori still has not. Gina said on FB that she cannot keep up with production demand, so go ahead and reduce the catalog, retire colors after clearing the wait list numbers, and remove the wait list button from most of the products.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Setsunawolf
                            Participant

I think Windstone uses the waitlist button to try and determine how many they need to produce for a restock.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Gem
                              Participant

Setsunawolf- I think Windstone uses the waitlist button to try and determine how many they need to produce for a restock.

I think so too, still, it seems that with the popular ones people not on the list swoop in and take them from people who have been waiting before they have a chance.

Courtney
                                Participant

Setsunawolf- I think Windstone uses the waitlist button to try and determine how many they need to produce for a restock.

I think so too, still, it seems that with the popular ones people not on the list swoop in and take them from people who have been waiting before they have a chance.

That’s why I think we should have a waitlist for people who have general interest in the item coming back in stock and an “I want to buy this” button for people who can buy it now.

They can make a more popular item and the folks who submitted an “I want to buy this” are contacted first and are allowed to purchase.

After these are fulfilled then any extras are put in the store for the waitlist folks.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.