Feasibility of pre-pay?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Feasibility of pre-pay?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Megan
    Participant

I’m not sure if something like this would work for Windstone as a company (I’m sorry if this has already been asked at some point) but would having some sort of pre-pay option be possible on the LP or even regular production items that are often out of stock or are likely to sell out quickly when they are restocked? Theoretically, set it up so that a customer could pay up front for an out of stock item and then be guaranteed to get one the next time that item restocks, rather than joining the waitlist and possibly still missing out because others got there first. This would be especially beneficial for popular items that tend to only be released in small batches and sell very quickly, like the hearth dragons. We all know that all is fair in love, war, and Windstone collecting, but it’s still a bummer to be on the waitlist for something for months and then miss out on it (sometimes multiple times) because you went out of town or just had a busy day and weren’t able to check your email fast enough.

Or would offering a pre-pay option just create a backlog that would be too much for the mold makers and painters to handle and cause a big headache for everyone at the factory? If so, disregard query 🙂

fatalbeauty
      Participant

don’t see how it would work though, how would it be kept track of? and what if that person decides they don’t want that item right now once it comes back in? seems like a bigger headache to me…..

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Mika
        Participant

If Windstone did do some sort of pre-pay/order-esque system for regular store products I’d imagine the amount available for pre-order would have to be limited based on production capacity, so now you’re right back to where you started with the availability issue.

Ela_Hara
          Participant

That would probably cause a logistical issue at the very least for Windstone. Basically they would have to keep track of ‘Backordered’ items, which isn’t feasible for a family owned/operated business in my opinion. There may even be accounting and legal ramifications as well.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Courtney
            Participant

How about a “I want to purchase this” button. When the amount of people who want to purchase this hits a certain amount (like 10 maybe) then that item is front lined for production/paint.

That way Windstone knows it won’t have product sitting and there is incentive to produce them.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Courtney
              Participant

And they will have the list of those who want it and can invoice them directly.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Kujacker
                Participant

This is basically a “reserve”. You’re paying in advance to reserve a product. Think of how the kick starter dragons went… those were basically reserve (“pre-pay”) items, but still plenty of people seemed to be upset (I didn’t really follow the whole kickstarter thing, but that’s what I got from what I did see).
                  Now if it was a reserve for only one paint scheme it might have gone more smoothly. But with the kickstarter issues in mind, I do not believe it’s viable for windstone to do reserve items.

How about a “I want to purchase this” button. When the amount of people who want to purchase this hits a certain amount (like 10 maybe) then that item is front lined for production/paint.

That way Windstone knows it won’t have product sitting and there is incentive to produce them.

That’s basically what the waiting list is. Windstone has stated that they produce out of stock items in order of how many people are on a wait list. If one item has 15 people on the list and another only 5, they will make the 15-on-wait-list first. At least, this is what I remember Susie mentioning.

Scathach
                  Participant

I know that this has been asked in the past, and the answer was “No”.

Life is beautiful.

Melody
                    Keymaster

We don’t do pre-pay or layaway…it is just too much hassle for Susie to deal with. Believe me, she’s got enough to do!
                      For a while, we were toying with the idea of having a “Windstone club” that would allow members to order stuff ahead of when they were available to others, but then again, somebody would have to manage it, and it would be a hassle. I really wish there were better ways to do these grabbags. Haven’t come up with anything better!

Bodine
                      Participant

I know I’m going to get flamed for this but um…don’t announce them.Word of mouth caries very quickly as it is.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Ela_Hara
                        Participant

I don’t think your idea is bad at all Bodine as far as the Grab Bags are concerned. Quietly putting them in the store, like when a new color LP scheme is launched, might be a good idea. That may lessen the aggravation and stress some experience waiting for the dreaded GB Drop, and the ensuing website/cart crashes. And – I may get yelled at for this – if this suggestion is tried it might also be good to reinstitute a ‘one per customer’ rule at the beginning – to include all batches for a GB sculpt – unless Melody has 100+ painted of each batch/scheme perhaps. This would mean that a person would only be able to get one per for the total GB, no matter which batch option a person selected, And then don’t lift the limits for five or six days to give people time to be able to get one (get funds/paychecks cashed, etc.) who couldn’t get in on the first buying wave.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

etruscan
                          Participant

My impression is that Windstone began announcing the grab bags to reduce the many times that people were refreshing the store when a grab bag was almost ready. A lot of people refreshing the store over and over is hard for the website to handle, and many of us were doing it. Remember when Susie was stating that auto-refresh programs are forbidden?

tig3r06
                            Participant

I don’t think your idea is bad at all Bodine as far as the Grab Bags are concerned. Quietly putting them in the store, like when a new color LP scheme is launched, might be a good idea. That may lessen the aggravation and stress some experience waiting for the dreaded GB Drop, and the ensuing website/cart crashes. And – I may get yelled at for this – if this suggestion is tried it might also be good to reinstitute a ‘one per customer’ rule at the beginning – to include all batches for a GB sculpt – unless Melody has 100+ painted of each batch/scheme perhaps. This would mean that a person would only be able to get one per for the total GB, no matter which batch option a person selected, And then don’t lift the limits for five or six days to give people time to be able to get one (get funds/paychecks cashed, etc.) who couldn’t get in on the first buying wave.

I think this has been suggested a few times now and Windstone keeps deciding how they feel each grab bag should be allowed per batch. The gb oris were pick 1 of 1 batch at first I think and they still sold out super fast. Unfortunately, nothing is going to stop the people who keep using multiple accounts to continually purchase over the limits they are allowed. And I’m not talking about gifts or blind trades.

Megan
                              Participant

I figured this might be the case. We definitely don’t want to pile more work on Ms Susie!

On the bright side, things selling out quickly must be good for Windstone 🙂 If it keeps up, maybe there will be extra funds to bring more casters and painters on the team to meet the demands of us voracious collectors? lol

drag0nfeathers
                                Participant

I know I’m going to get flamed for this but um…don’t announce them.Word of mouth caries very quickly as it is.

While one part of me agrees with this sentiment because it would reward the folks who are more loyal in a sense to the forum the other part of me knows as a company Windstone would want to advertise their product as much as possible so they can continue to sell out their products batch after batch and keep the excitement strong to ensure the business survival. Double sided sword there a bit… I do kind of like how the email announcements have been a little lagging just because it gives members who frequent the forum often a bit of a head start. It might just be a coincidence with a systems glitch, but it has kind of felt like that lately and I’m not complaining LOL.

Got a busted Windstone?
                                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.