fbpx

Facebook killed RamboBear

Home Forums Miscellany Community Facebook killed RamboBear

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mary
    Participant

There’s no requirement that you signup for social media accounts using real names.

Actually, when you sign up for an account on a website (even this one!), you must agree to their terms of service. That’s the big long text almost no one reads…
      Anyhow, even though I do not agree with it, Facebook DOES have a Real Name Policy in place.
      https://www.facebook.com/help/112146705538576
      (how to change your name https://www.facebook.com/help/173909489329079 )

There is quite a bit of controversy over this, of course.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook_real-name_policy_controversy

Regardless, it’s unfortunate that someone was spiteful enough to report you. If you wanted your account back, you could take steps, but it’s equally reasonable if you don’t of course.

Thanks, Jennifere. Most users don’t even read TOS, but it’s true that a social media firm can ask anything they want in TOS and cancel accounts for anything they wish. BUT, they do nothing to verify identities used online when you create an account (no correlation back to name or address), as your bank would do before opening an account for you.

No surprise that it’s controversial as many people globally use social media in places where free speech doesn’t exist & they might be punished by their government’s for what they say on social media and therefore use aliases.

But, ousting users for TOS violations is bad policy for online businesses as they make their revenue by number of eyeballs on ads, so if they lose users, they lose ad revenue too.

There’s no requirement that you signup for social media accounts using real names.

Actually, when you sign up for an account on a website (even this one!), you must agree to their terms of service. That’s the big long text almost no one reads…
      Anyhow, even though I do not agree with it, Facebook DOES have a Real Name Policy in place.
      https://www.facebook.com/help/112146705538576
      (how to change your name https://www.facebook.com/help/173909489329079 )

There is quite a bit of controversy over this, of course.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook_real-name_policy_controversy

Regardless, it’s unfortunate that someone was spiteful enough to report you. If you wanted your account back, you could take steps, but it’s equally reasonable if you don’t of course.

Thanks, Jennifere. Most users don’t even read TOS, but it’s true that a social media firm can ask anything they want in TOS and cancel accounts for anything they wish. BUT, they do nothing to verify identities used online when you create an account (no correlation back to name or address), as your bank would do before opening an account for you.

No surprise that it’s controversial as many people globally use social media in places where free speech doesn’t exist & they might be punished by their government’s for what they say on social media and therefore use aliases.

But, ousting users for TOS violations is bad policy for online businesses as they make their revenue by number of eyeballs on ads, so if they lose users, they lose ad revenue too.

Ousting a user cuz a chickiepoo has a vendetta against her ex is just bad sport!

R.I.P RamboBear.

RamboBear is dead

WolfenMachine
      Participant

Wow! You added me on Facebook a long while ago but I didn’t know you as RamboBear so I didn’t accept πŸ™ I’m sorry! I’m more sorry that some lame girl can’t handle her sh** and had to take you down with her. My boyfriend and I had someone stalking us a few years ago. We knew who it was but still. He changed his name on Facebook to his middle name+mom’s maiden name. Granted, he forgot to change his name in the URL so if you search for him, because his name is in the URL you can still find him but if you see him posting somewhere, you wouldn’t know it was him by the name alone. Could you sign up as RamboBear2? I know how much it sucks to lose your pictures πŸ™ that’s what I’d be most sad about. I lost one of my favorite pictures of said boyfriend and my favorite cat when my last phone randomly died. I still hold on to the almost bricked phone in hopes that someone could extract the photos one day. *hugs* I’m sorry some jealous B is putting you through this πŸ™

Falcolf
        Participant

Hugs Lysithian πŸ™ facebook can be such a nasty place. A few years back it led to me being practically at war with my brother’s girlfriend (common law wife now I guess) and our relationship still hasn’t recovered. (Not that we had much of one in the first place since she’s always mysteriously gone whenever any member of our family tries to visit which is awkward and rather annoying.) We’ve only now gotten to a point where we can be in the same place together without having our hackles up constantly. I hope you can get your name back! πŸ™

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Wow! You added me on Facebook a long while ago but I didn’t know you as RamboBear so I didn’t accept πŸ™ I’m sorry! I’m more sorry that some lame girl can’t handle her sh** and had to take you down with her. My boyfriend and I had someone stalking us a few years ago. We knew who it was but still. He changed his name on Facebook to his middle name+mom’s maiden name. Granted, he forgot to change his name in the URL so if you search for him, because his name is in the URL you can still find him but if you see him posting somewhere, you wouldn’t know it was him by the name alone. Could you sign up as RamboBear2? I know how much it sucks to lose your pictures πŸ™ that’s what I’d be most sad about. I lost one of my favorite pictures of said boyfriend and my favorite cat when my last phone randomly died. I still hold on to the almost bricked phone in hopes that someone could extract the photos one day. *hugs* I’m sorry some jealous B is putting you through this πŸ™

Thanks WolfenMachine. And no worries, I should have told you who I was when I added you!

I’ve given up on facebook. Every thing is gone. Two trips to Oklahoma to a mini horse show. Notes to my guy. Yeah. None can be replaced. But it’s okay. Just brought him and I closer!

Glad your boyfriend could get rid of his stalker by changing his name. Hopefully you two wont have to deal with another stalker. They can get a bit mean!

And keep that phone! You never know, you might find a way to get your old photos off! I have an old clunker phone with videos my youngest kid made. They were adorable! No way to see them again. But at least we have our phone!

Hugs Lysithian πŸ™ facebook can be such a nasty place. A few years back it led to me being practically at war with my brother’s girlfriend (common law wife now I guess) and our relationship still hasn’t recovered. (Not that we had much of one in the first place since she’s always mysteriously gone whenever any member of our family tries to visit which is awkward and rather annoying.) We’ve only now gotten to a point where we can be in the same place together without having our hackles up constantly. I hope you can get your name back! πŸ™

Thanks Falcolf! Alas it’s official, RamboBear is gone. And I’m okay with that. Kinda figure it’s a blessing in disguise. Facebook can be a bad place. And now no more stalker!

Sorry about the war with your brothers girlfriend. Ha, I know that hackles up constantly feeling! Glad you are getting past that.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.